4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear brakes worn more than front - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rear brakes worn more than front - Why?

I'm in shock facing many expensive brake components that may need to be replaced all at once. I need advice to make sure I'm not going off the deep end.

On a 96 Max with ABS, all rotors and pads were replaced 10K miles ago and brake system flushed and bled. Now rear rotors are warped and rear pads are worn severely and to different amounts left versus right: down to 10% on one side and down only to 40% on the other side.

Front pads are only down to 80% or better, although front rotors may also have some warping.

All rotors may need to be turned or replaced.

Does this necessarily mean that rear calipers are sticking, one side worse than the other? New calipers are at least $250 each side, rebuilt a little less. What advice to make sure calipers are sticking before I pay for replacements? Is there any other explanation for this brake wear pattern? For instance, is there some mechanism that is supposed to balance brake pressure among all four wheels that could be at fault?

Another symptom: ABS kicks in during very hard braking even on dry, clean pavement. This rarely happens because I rarely brake very hard. But is this the ABS response to problems with the calipers or the warped rotors?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Your rear calipers are seizing. You might have binding parking brake cables that eventually led to seized calipers.

You can by reman rear calipers for 80 bucks a side from www.partsamerica.com - they come with a lifetime warranty. I would not waste money on brand new calipers. The remans are excellent with all new seals and sometimes even new pistons (depending on brand).

Brake work is relatively straightforward - you might consider doing some of these repairs yourself. It can be fun and is definitely easier on the wallet. You may also consider contacting some of the local org members (via the regional forums) to help you if you aren't comfortable doing the work on your own.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM

You could probably have the front rotors machined, but don't turn the rear rotors as they're not very thick to begin with. I had rear calipers replaced with rebuilt ones about two months ago. I was told my rotors were good to go, but if they weren't to just buy new ones for the above reason.

If one rear caliper is seized and the other isn't, you should replace both at once - never only one.