4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about my oil leak. Took it to various shops, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:44 AM

Question about my oil leak. Took it to various shops, need some help.

Hey everyone, I'll get straight to the point...

In my 1998 Max 5-speed SE, I have a problem with oil leaking from the oil pan area of the car. I took the car to several mechanics and each telling me different stories. The first one I took it to said it was the rear valve cover gasket, he replaced the gasket, still leaking oil. The next mechanic told me it's the oil pan gasket, I didn't let him work on the for financial reasons. A week ago I took the car to a friends shop, and one of the top mechanics there told me that it isn't the oil pan that is leaking and proceeds to show me the problem.

He jacks the car up on the lift and shows me that it's oil leaking from the timing chain access cover, I want to know if this is possible. I have limited knowledge in this part of the car, and need to know. I was reading the stickies for "water pump removal writeup" and the writeup states that if you don't reseal the timing chan access cover, it'll sweat oil. This seems to be the problem I am having with my car, where as the oil is dripping from the access cover seal to the oil pan, and makes it look like the leak is from the oil pan.

My next question is, how hard is it to fix this problem myself? I'll be having the car in my garage for the next couple weeks, and I have a feeling I can do this myself. I just need someone to help me out and tell me what I have to do, and also what I should look for in terms of where the leaks originate from.

I honestly thing I can do this myself if it doesn't require for me to remove the engine or the motor mounts. If the oil can actually leak fromt he access cover, by theory don't I have to do, is simple take off the timing chain access cover, let the oil from it leak out, clean the cover up, put new silicone gasket maker around the edge of the access cover, put it back on and bolt it in, and let the glue cure, and add in the new motor oil? Isn't this all, or am I missing something else?

Please help me, I am mostly speculating now how to do this, if anyone can verify that anything I said can reall occur, please do so!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 AM

Have you searched the HOW-TO thread at the top of the 4th gen forum??? If not, I suggest you start reading since your thinking of tackling this yourself. To start you off on the right direction, read this how-to (start at the first post): http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ming+tensioner . This should get you inside the timing chain cover.

Here's a pic of what's inside the timing chain cover:

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes it is possible to leak from the timing cover area. I had a leak on my old engine that was leaking from the top of the timing cover down onto the alternator and down onto the oil pan. Be warned that this job is exteremely expensive. i was quoted at 1600$ from any where i went. For parts and labor because since the timing cover is off u want to get your water pump done, as well as your motor mounts. But in anycase i decided to get a new engine as it was certainly a better option. i paid 350$ for an engine with 40k miles on it and 1200 to get it installed. The choice is yours good luck! The estimated book time is about 17 hours for the removal and installation of the timing cover. But be certain where your leak is. You dont want to have to take off this cover if you dont have to.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If at all possible, take some pictures from above or from the wheel well (with splash guard removed). If you are talking about the timing chain access covers that either access the water pump or timing chain tensioner, that should be a simple fix. Simply degrease the area of the suspected leak and make sure it is completely oil free with some brake cleaner. Then apply RTV sealant around the cover(s) or just the area the appears to be leaking. If you really wanted to, you can remove the access cover(s) with the small bolts, clean off the old sealant, reapply sealant and replace. It is probably a good idea to remove the belts to avoid contaminating them. If the leak is from the timing chain cover itself and not the small access ports, you are talking about a much bigger deal.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM

Inorder to get to the timing chain cover, what do I have to remove from underneath the car, in one of the stickies, it says if you have small hands you an do this without removing anything.

The first thing I ant to do is get a clear view of things, so I can check out the leak first before I start work.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:43 PM

hey, what side of the car are you having leaks? im having a oil leak from the passenger side near the front right tires. dont know if thats my transmission or my oil pan. looks like im getting a 2 drip leak about 2 inches apart.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Yea that's similar to where my leak is.

Well I took the car to my garage, jacked it up, and started taking a look around there. I have to say, it's going to be hard to find the particular place for the leak. Would buying the Haynes manual help explain how to find the access panel quicker, and aid me with fixing my problems?

Where's the best place to get the Haynes manual for the lowest price possible, I want to get this car fixed AsAP!

Thanks all, if anyone can tell me where to look for the access panel once I'm under the car, it'd be great .