4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driving a corolla = :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 AM
MaximaDriver

i drove my sisters chevi prizm. its based on corolla. that $hit is slow. i dont like it
Old 07-22-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by WielkiWaac
i drove my sisters chevi prizm. its based on corolla. that $hit is slow. i dont like it
Yeah they used to call them the Toilet cars (TOYota/chevroLET). All of the mid-80's Novas, then the 90's Geo Prizms, and later the Chevy Prizms (after GM merged its failing Geo division) were actually Toyota Corollas with a few cosmetic changes. GM has also bought cars from Suzuki - their new Aveo is actually a Suzuki Aerio, and the Geo/Chevy Tracker has been a Suzuki Sidekick or Vitara for years.

One of my friends had an '87 Nova in high school. It had a three speed automatic in it. I don't think I've driven a car that slow since then.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
Yeah they used to call them the Toilet cars (TOYota/chevroLET). All of the mid-80's Novas, then the 90's Geo Prizms, and later the Chevy Prizms (after GM merged its failing Geo division) were actually Toyota Corollas with a few cosmetic changes. GM has also bought cars from Suzuki - their new Aveo is actually a Suzuki Aerio, and the Geo/Chevy Tracker has been a Suzuki Sidekick or Vitara for years.

One of my friends had an '87 Nova in high school. It had a three speed automatic in it. I don't think I've driven a car that slow since then.
my mom used to drive a 1988 Nova. I drove it a few times. OMG. 74 hp is NOT enough to make the car go over 60mph.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM

actually the aveo is made by daiwoo sp?. i work at a chev/cadi dealership and everyone here hates those things. on a side note my buddy's dad has an old carolla that is early 80s. 378,000 original miles. its the 4wd model and last year he pulled his tundra out of a ditch in the snow with it. those cars are awesome....ugly tho.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
The only advantage that a v6 stang has over a maxima is the coupe feature and maybe the convertible (if you have that trim). The RWD is pointless with the lack of power -- No one is gonna drift in a v6 stang.

EDIT: wait. burnouts. forgot.

sadly, i think they're going to feature a mustang in fast and furious 3, so i'm going to expect more mustangs on the street ;(
Old 07-24-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by kodomo
sadly, i think they're going to feature a mustang in fast and furious 3, so i'm going to expect more mustangs on the street ;(
I can't believe they're going to make another one of those crappy-a$$ movies. It's created a whole generation of stupid ricers. I shudder to think what kind of crappy accessories they're going to superglue onto a new Mustang for this movie.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:54 AM

I love my Maxima. As far as gas mileage goes, it puts my girlfriend's 94 Merc Topaz (the badass 119 hp package!!!) to effing shame. My brother just bought a 2001 Merc Cougar V6. I thought he would rape me if we went from a dead stop. By 80 mph I was probably 10 car lengths ahead of him. Amazing.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:03 PM

A corolla is a good car to drive in the snow, in the rain , and to the gas station. Its good at being reliable,unlessit involves reliable performance. A perfect Fast and Furious Car, eh?

Quick SAT question. What Trilogy doesn't belong? Star Wars, Back to the Future, or .........Fast and the Furious?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Try a Hyundai Elantra 2005

I borrowed my dad's brand new hyundai elantra, and boy was it different than the max. your in the 4-5k Rpm range and going 40-60 accelerating to hiway speed. A go kart!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
The original VQ...

ya driving a bucket makes you respect your max more, I drove a 1990 honda accord all winter and when i got in my max i felt like a king .....
Old 07-24-2005, 05:24 PM

yeah the max is a completely different car then every other the ride is just so smooth and graceful
Old 07-24-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by rocco5446
A few weeks ago, someone backed out of their parking spot without looking and drove into my driver's side door. Finally heard from my insurance company who gave me the go ahead to get the work done without paying the deductible, and was also assured that my premium won't go up (yeah right). Anyways, for the next few days I'll be driving a 2005 corolla, and so far, the best thing about driving that car is the new car smell, and the mileage. I was thinking that as a first car, it would probably be ok, but after being spoiled driving the Max, it's so much easier to find faults with the corolla. Sitting at stop lights with the corolla vibrating is getting tiresome. It's funny, but I never really realized how smooth the VQ engine is, and how nicely it revs, even with the automatic tranny. I guess all it took was some time in a cheaper car to appreciate what I've got. It's a shame how rough even a new corolla engine is, compared to my 10 year old engine. I'm not even going to mention handling, or ergonomics or the width of the A pillar.

For a while there, I had been thinking of keeping the car another two or three years, but now I'm reconsidering. As long as the cost of keeping it in full working condition (where everything works, and works well) on a yearly basis is less than half the payments on a new car, then I'll stick with the Maxima. Hell, even it's almost the same cost, I think I'll hold on to it.

Anyone else feel this way?

By the way, I bought mine used about 3 years ago, I can say without a doubt, it's in way better driving condition than it was when I bought it (which is why I got such a great deal). More rust though...
Prior to buying my 1998 I30, I sold my 1992 Max GXE back in April after owning it for ten years and putting 302k on it. I loved that car, and if the new owner wanted to sell it back to me, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Why did I sell it? Good question, considering that I had the auto tranny rebuilt only one month before I sold it. Virtually everything BUT the engine, exhaust, and interior had been rebuilt or replaced. The interior was in good condition, the exterior was even better, and opnly the Y-pipe needed replacing.

The engine was a little bit of concern. Although the block and pistons ran as solid as Mt. Everest and seemed like they could run forever (at 300k, they were on the way there), the crankshaft pully/harmonic balancer was in dire need of replacement.

I thought about replacing the entire engine (because of the cost of replacing just the crankshart pulley was so high) and getting a catback system. With those changes, my car could probably go another 10 years without having another major repair. What changed my mind was the fact that I would still have a car with no safety features other than seat belts.

With the traffic situation getting worse every year, and with my body still feeling the effects of a minor accident I had five years ago, I had to give more consideration to safety features.

This is where the 1998 I30, with its three air bags, 4-wheel disc brakes and ABS, turned my head. That, and the other amenities of the car.

Yet, I still think about my old Max, and how much more fun I would have had modding it with about 1/2 the coins I spent on buying the I30.

Maybe I am being more nostalgic than realistic, but my advice is this:

if there is any way to keep a car you love running like it loves you back, keep it!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by MidwestMaX1
I love my Maxima. As far as gas mileage goes, it puts my girlfriend's 94 Merc Topaz (the badass 119 hp package!!!) to effing shame. My brother just bought a 2001 Merc Cougar V6. I thought he would rape me if we went from a dead stop. By 80 mph I was probably 10 car lengths ahead of him. Amazing.
I always liked the last generation Cougar, I thought it was a really sharp looking car. However, in their never ending determination to blow the oppurtunity to make something cool, Ford decided to use the Countour/Mystique's impotent 2.5L Duratec V6 in the Cougar. Had they decided to use the 3.0L version of the same motor, used in the Taurus/Sable since '96, the Cougar would have had some serious potential. This motor in our '96 Sable LS makes 200HP and 200ft-lb, which is pretty good considering how horribly restrictive the intake and exhaust is. That motor with good breathing and some mild tuning is probably good for 230HP.