4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

abs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 01:01 PM

how do you tell if my 98se is equipped with abs. i bought it off a friend and he swears it did. however none of the dash lights come on indicating abs. i was told by someone that there should be 4 lines coming from the master cylinder if it did, but i'm not sure if that's a good indicator or not. in the fuse box, there's a fuse for it there but i don't know if all maximas have one there for the hell of it.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:13 PM

best way to tell for sure:

get the car up to 30mph, slam on the brakes!!
No ABS: the car skids.
With ABS: the car doesn't skid, and you feel pulsating in the brake pedal.

justin
Old 05-22-2001, 01:17 PM

Re: best way to tell for sure:

Originally posted by justmax
get the car up to 30mph, slam on the brakes!!
No ABS: the car skids.
With ABS: the car doesn't skid, and you feel pulsating in the brake pedal.

justin
yeah, i know that, and i already did it too and it skidded. my concern is that if it did have it and it's not working, i want to fix it. however the dealership wants to charge me 70 dollars just for looking to see if any of the abs hardware is there or not. i don't want to pay 70 bucks which i could apply towards my first mod. thanks for the quick reply though.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:31 PM

OK, I see your problem...

There should definitely be an indicator lite for ABS when you turn the ignition to "on", before starting the car. No light, no ABS. I'm 99% sure it's that simple. Maybe someone else here has a 100% sure-fire way to identify ABS equipment. I know my '99 doesn't have ABS and I prefer it that way.

Let me also point out that even if your ABS doesn't work, but your brakes do, then you really don't have any worries. That is, unless you're extremely pro-ABS, and you feel like you must have it working.

Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:47 PM

well, i've never had a need for abs, but then again my daily driver is a lifted jeep cherokee. the maxima is for my wife and kids, and whenever we go places together. i figure since it's considered a safety item i might as well have it working. it's also under warranty so i'll be damned if i let them get away with not fixing it. if it wasn't warranted, i probably wouldn't care too much though for myself as i've heard these things are more problems than there worth. it actually drives pretty good without it as is, but i'd feel better with it for my wife and kids since you haven't seen how my wife drives at times. thanks.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:14 PM

If the dealer wants $70 to tell you if you have ABS

Find another dealer - or ask to speak to the Service Manager (not a Service Advisor). Somehow I think a trained Nissan Mechanic should be able ascertain if you have ABS in less than 2 minutes. They should charge for 15 minutes at most. Or just bring it in and say "my ABS doesn't seem to come on". Then they can check it under warranty. If you don't have ABS, they will probably charge you for 15 minutes of work, unless you are having some other warranty work done so there's a reason to have put it on a lift (hint, hint).

If you have ABS and it's not working, that's not good. It's *not* the same as not having ABS. If the ABS affects some wheels and not others, you're going to have problems when you brake. You might want to try a fast stop in the rain (in an empty parking lot) and see if you get some action. It's hard to get ABS to do anything in the dry.

Bob
Old 05-22-2001, 06:23 PM

Re: If the dealer wants $70 to tell you if you have ABS

Originally posted by BobMax
Find another dealer - or ask to speak to the Service Manager (not a Service Advisor). Somehow I think a trained Nissan Mechanic should be able ascertain if you have ABS in less than 2 minutes. They should charge for 15 minutes at most. Or just bring it in and say "my ABS doesn't seem to come on". Then they can check it under warranty. If you don't have ABS, they will probably charge you for 15 minutes of work, unless you are having some other warranty work done so there's a reason to have put it on a lift (hint, hint).

If you have ABS and it's not working, that's not good. It's *not* the same as not having ABS. If the ABS affects some wheels and not others, you're going to have problems when you brake. You might want to try a fast stop in the rain (in an empty parking lot) and see if you get some action. It's hard to get ABS to do anything in the dry.

Bob
I have a 96 with ABS.
There are sensors on the back side of each front brake caliper. They are plastic bolt on. Should be able to see easily enough by turning the wheels completely to lock and laying down looking up from behind.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If ABS wasn't working correctly the light would come on and stay on, at least that is what it says in my manual. I would venture to say that yours doesn't have it, unless there is a burned out dash bulb.

Also $70 to check to see if it has ABS is BS. . . I needed to goto a dealership to get proof that mine has ABS for insurance purposes, and they just ran my VIN number and printed out the schematic showing my car's ABS actuator. . . They didn't charge me anything.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:37 AM

Three tests

Originally posted by blee89xj
how do you tell if my 98se is equipped with abs. i bought it off a friend and he swears it did. however none of the dash lights come on indicating abs. i was told by someone that there should be 4 lines coming from the master cylinder if it did, but i'm not sure if that's a good indicator or not. in the fuse box, there's a fuse for it there but i don't know if all maximas have one there for the hell of it.
Any of these tests should tell the tale...

1) Ask any technician at your local friendly Nissan dealer. He can answer after a three-second look under the hood. He will be looking for the ABS actuator, a sort of hydraulic octopus which is located near the brake master cylinder. If the actuator isn't there, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

2) Sit in the driver's seat. Turn the ignition "on" but don't start the engine. This performs a dashboard warning lamp test. You should see all sorts of warning lights go on and stay on including those for Engine Oil Pressure, Charge, Door Open, and Service Engine Soon. Some other dashboard warning lights go on momentarily and then go off. The momentary lights include Air Bag and ABS. If you make this lamp test and do not see the ABS light go on momentarily, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.

3) Raise the hood. Just in front of the battery you should see a black plastic relay box. This is relay box #2. Snap off the relay box cover. There are two rows of relay sockets, four in each row. Your relay box may have some blank sockets, depending on which options are installed. Look at the row of relays closest to the battery. The third and fourth from left socket should have relays installed. If those sockets are empty, your Maxima doesn't have ABS.