4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car goes put put

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 PM

car goes put put

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed 116,000 miles
There is a black plastic piece that captures air and it connects to my air intake. It snaps on and off, it's shaped like an S. Well there is a sensor ( I think the Intake Air Temp Sensor )that connects to the back of it. I just found out that the sensor has been disconnected since my mechanic had it last, replacing the starter (about 6 mo ago).

Well all of a sudden I 'm driving and the car sounds like it's misfiring (goes put-put) and runs roughly throughout the rpm range. The codes that were triggered when the SES light came on were the Knock Sensor, the Intake Air Temp Sensor and the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

So I connected the Intake Air Temp Sensor back, reseted the codes and the SES light immediately came back on again. This time all except for the Vehicle Speed Sensor code was came back and the car still goes put-put.

A sales person at Auto Zone told me that what could have happened was that with the Intake Air Temp being disconnected, it could have made the car run rich and burnned out one of your spark plugs.

Is that possible? Can going without the Intake Air Temp sensor connected cause this and or damage the sensor? Will it hurt to continue to drive it?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how far did you drive? I drove a couple of miles with it disconnected, by accident, and nothing really happened, just the SES light came on. You could always just pull the plugs and check them out yourself, to see if they are bad. And maybe the Air Temp sensor still isn't connected all the way?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM

o... i thought you mean't put-put golf...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by zander
how far did you drive? I drove a couple of miles with it disconnected, by accident, and nothing really happened, just the SES light came on. You could always just pull the plugs and check them out yourself, to see if they are bad. And maybe the Air Temp sensor still isn't connected all the way?
about 10,000 miles
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM

until I can get the car repaired will it hurt to drive it even though it puts (misfires)?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by nissan_man
1997 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed 116,000 miles
There is a black plastic piece that captures air and it connects to my air intake. It snaps on and off, it's shaped like an S. Well there is a sensor ( I think the Intake Air Temp Sensor )that connects to the back of it. I just found out that the sensor has been disconnected since my mechanic had it last, replacing the starter (about 6 mo ago).

Well all of a sudden I 'm driving and the car sounds like it's misfiring (goes put-put) and runs roughly throughout the rpm range. The codes that were triggered when the SES light came on were the Knock Sensor, the Intake Air Temp Sensor and the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

So I connected the Intake Air Temp Sensor back, reseted the codes and the SES light immediately came back on again. This time all except for the Vehicle Speed Sensor code was came back and the car still goes put-put.

A sales person at Auto Zone told me that what could have happened was that with the Intake Air Temp being disconnected, it could have made the car run rich and burnned out one of your spark plugs.

Is that possible? Can going without the Intake Air Temp sensor connected cause this and or damage the sensor? Will it hurt to continue to drive it?
I didn't think the Air Intake Sensor really did alot, just supplied supplemental info.. thought it used the MAF for that sort of stuff.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:05 PM

does anyone know if it will hurt to drive it even though its misfiring??
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 AM

aww geeze i was just reading about this last night in my Auto tech textbook....

cant rmember what it was though...i'll get back to u after some shut eye....
Old 07-22-2005, 03:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

misfire/ put put as you so elegantly put it :P can cause damage if you drive it for extensive amounts. Misfire causes misbalance in the engines momentum causing uneven ware on the cylinder and so forth. If you need to get to work and back for the next to day till u fix it it should be fine, but don’t drive like that for weeks. The problem may be totally unrelated to the temp sensor. It may be your coils sparks or even injectors. My first suggestion would be to isolate which cylinder is misfireing. Do this by disconnecting the coils for each piston and seeing which cylinder when disconnected doesn’t cause the car to misfire more then it already does. Once you know which one it is examine the spark plug and coil. If those are working then ur prob is the injector.
You can check if the spark plug or coil is broken by switching the coil or plug with another cylinder and seeing if the misfire problem shifts to that cylinder or stays with the original one.