4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen rear calipers: common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
will fly for food

4th gen rear calipers: common problem?

A few months back, my passengers side rear caliper seized up... had it replaced along with the rotor...tonight, the drivers side rear caliper seized and I'm having it replaced in the morning... I'm just curious, is this just my horrible luck, or is it something that has happened to someone else, besides me...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Did you just get your car off a lift in a shop? I'm asking, because perhaps the parking brake cable got bent (well the bracket actually)...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Oh btw, the calipers seizing is a fairly common problem. I replaced mine a few years ago - my parking brake cable sheathig cracked, corroding the cable... so the cable wouldn't retract when I released the parking brake - ruining the caliper/pads and rotor on the rear passenger side.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whats going on man?

Originally Posted by Maxima99SE
A few months back, my passengers side rear caliper seized up... had it replaced along with the rotor...tonight, the drivers side rear caliper seized and I'm having it replaced in the morning... I'm just curious, is this just my horrible luck, or is it something that has happened to someone else, besides me...
Justin that is what I was talking to you about at the Fellini's meet awhile back. I dont think my caliper are seized up yet but I get a noise everytime I hit the brake then it goes away. Tonight for instance I had my window downs although it is hot in the ATL and I could here a noise coming from the rear driver side brakes like something is making the caliper stick. But I had my brakes done a couple months back and they said everything was fine. I even looked at the parking brake cable and it looked fine but I may have to look again. Especially after good long distance drive and us the parking brake it smells like my brakes are toast when I am not driving that fast either. Jake showed me when I last took my car up there to let him look at that parking brake was going because the wheel was catching and dragging. I just dont have the money right now to get a new parking brake caliper but I hope mine caliper is not frozen either.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:56 PM

i just changed both of my rear calipers the other day. I was changing the pads a couple weeks ago and realixed that both of my rear pistons would not push back at all and that they were seized. I found this weird, but changed them so i could fit the new pads in. So you guys think there is a problem with the parking brake?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM

the passenger side rear pads were worn down more than the drivers side too. What do you guys think I should check?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by walshy
the passenger side rear pads were worn down more than the drivers side too. What do you guys think I should check?
Sounds like your parking brake cable is binding. Check www.motorvate.ca for info. on this.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by walshy

Maybe the driver`s side caliper is seized. Check that out.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Two years ago I replaced the pass side rear caliper, and the rotors on both sides. A few months after that I realized the ebrake cable was seized on the pass side as well. I replaced that cable as well. The pass side ebrake cable being seized could have something to do with the caliper seizing as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:51 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by TightBlack97
Justin that is what I was talking to you about at the Fellini's meet awhile back. I dont think my caliper are seized up yet but I get a noise everytime I hit the brake then it goes away. Tonight for instance I had my window downs although it is hot in the ATL and I could here a noise coming from the rear driver side brakes like something is making the caliper stick. But I had my brakes done a couple months back and they said everything was fine. I even looked at the parking brake cable and it looked fine but I may have to look again. Especially after good long distance drive and us the parking brake it smells like my brakes are toast when I am not driving that fast either. Jake showed me when I last took my car up there to let him look at that parking brake was going because the wheel was catching and dragging. I just dont have the money right now to get a new parking brake caliper but I hope mine caliper is not frozen either.
yeah... when I smelled burnt toast, and felt the heat wave (actually saw smoke), I knew the caliper was done. I have heard a noise just like you have for some time.. now this.. so watch out!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Custom User Title...

i had both rear replaced and my passenger side was replaced for free again because i complained enough about hearing the same noise and same problem again.

i've talked to 2 or 3 mechanics who say it is fairly common on maxes because of the caliper design with the integrated ebrake cable...one said it seized because i didn't use my ebrake enough and it rusted out or some crap like that. either way, annoying problem.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 PM

I just replaced both my rear calipers along with both rotors. THey both had about 106k miles on them.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Last summer my driver's side rear caliper froze up at about 189,000 miles. I replaced the caliper myself. No problems before that or since then, knock on wood.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 PM

I replaced my Drivers side caliper when I did my brakes 2 months ago....While I had everything apart, I spent the extra $100 and bought the pass side rear caliper as well...One was seized so I figured the other side will be going as well..

I know that alot of people have problems with the Rear Calipers...No idea why though

-matt
Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 PM

My rear driver's side caliper has frozen up, but i've had no time to get it fixed. the one time i took it to firestone, i risked having them just do the work since no other time to take it anywhere else (and i was already getting the oil changed at firestone), so asked them to look at it. they never did what i asked, so i still have the problem. the rotor is completely gone, and pad is frozen to rotor now, makes SO much noise, it sounds like a plane is landing. i use my e-brake EVERY time i park. my car only has 70K miles on it.

anyway, anyone know where i can get all the parts for cheap? i'm getting the rotor and pads for about 100 total, but dunno about where to get a caliper. any advise? also, the rusty dust seems to be sticking permanently to my rim from the chewed up rotor and pad, anyone know if this will stain my rim? ( I HOPE NOT!)
Old 07-27-2005, 10:33 PM

I replaced both rear calipers and pads about 3 months ago because the right rear was seized. I attribute the seizing to not using the parking brake in about 5 years. The parking brake application forces the caliper piston in further, and without using it causes the rear caliper to seize.

If one caliper seizes both should be replaced as the brakes are hydraulic and without both being replaced, braking will be uneven.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
If one caliper seizes both should be replaced as the brakes are hydraulic and without both being replaced, braking will be uneven.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 AM

My rear calipers are beginning to seizing more and more. It doesn't take a 2 year old to figure out that I need new rear calipers. I know the 300ZX FRONTS have 4 pistons, but is it the same case in the rears? I figured, "Hell if I have to buy new routers, why not go for performance at the same time". I also know that the fronts do not fit with stock rims. If the rears of 300ZX are better, do they fit our Maxs with stock rims.
BTW i have the honeycombs (95 GLE).
Old 07-28-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

rear calipers are big problems with all manufacturers. that is why u see some 2006 models with rear drums.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

mine was siezed for a long time. i took one off of dave sz's car.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Maxima Owner

YES are cars are known to have poopy rear calipers in terms of seizing.....in fact i have to do mine...in the near future
Old 07-28-2005, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=walshy] both of my rear pistons would not push back at all and that they were seized. QUOTE]

I just wanted to make sure i am not reading it weired? rear calipers being pusshed in????

did you know that the rear calipers do not push in like the fronts.. they screw in... if you try using a c-clamp on the rears it will look and act like they are seized, they are threaded and will not push in... you need a tool to turn them or a pair of needle nose pliers and a lot of time...

I know most of you know this but just wanted to clear that up with the others that dont
Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by killcrap
rear calipers are big problems with all manufacturers. that is why u see some 2006 models with rear drums.
That's surprising... killcrap - any examples? I know they still use drums on lower end cars, but I'd be interested to know of end mid to high-end cars where the manufacturers have gone back to drums in the rear.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Stillen_I30
anyway, anyone know where i can get all the parts for cheap? i'm getting the rotor and pads for about 100 total, but dunno about where to get a caliper. any advise? also, the rusty dust seems to be sticking permanently to my rim from the chewed up rotor and pad, anyone know if this will stain my rim? ( I HOPE NOT!)
You can buy rear calipers from www.partsamerica.com for about 80 bucks a side (after your return your old ones to them) with a lifetime warranty. Those are pretty much the best prices I was able to find when I did mine a few years ago.