4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Recieved My Tein Basic damper Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM

Just Recieved My Tein Basic damper Coilovers

Well i just got my coilovers and will be installing them this weekend with my buddy at his house.....Cant wait to see how it my car looks and handles...
Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Let us know and post some b4 adn after pics.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by sk24iam
Let us know and post some b4 adn after pics.
yup but just to let u guys know im rollin on stock 15in honeycomb wheels....Planin to change that next summer though
Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NismoGTR
Well i just got my coilovers and will be installing them this weekend with my buddy at his house.....Cant wait to see how it my car looks and handles...

Perhaps you could just post when there on the car
Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 PM

haha how bout you send them my way intill you get the rims? good luck be sure to post some pics
Old 07-28-2005, 07:07 PM

are you planning on reusing the stock parts or getting new ones. i would reccomend getting new ones, because for one if you are going to take it apart might as well get new parts, and two it will make it a lot faster of an install since you wont have to take apart the old ones, only thing is that it is about 275 dollars for all the parts you need so it is kinda pricey. anyway the one thing that you might want to keep in mind is that if you use the front jack point to lift up the front the jack may get stuck there because of the drop. it happened on my 99 se, but not on my brothers 96 I30 so i dont know. anyway you will be very happy with the ride
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 PM

ive got the tein basic system on my 98 max.....its a great ride, kinda rough for me cause of the philly roads ..... anyway theres a few things you gotta know...the main thing is that the bolt holes on the front struts are too small for the bolts that are on the maxima now....its wierd, I dont know what the f*^k tein was doing but they made the holes too small, and it was actually a biatch to get thoese holes drilled..make sure you have a good drill or drill press..... other than that you should be ok.....get a nice spring compressor and I hope you have air tools cause taking the old suspension apart is gonna be a nightmare without air tools.... any ?'s, give me a pm... I installed them with "immasquashyou" .... btw, if you dont mind me asking-how much did you pay for them and where did you get them ?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I Broke OT

why take the old ones apart or replace old parts? aren't the TEINS just bolt-ons in place of the stock suspension setup? no spring compressor needed even. just unbolt the top three in the bay and the lower two, and then bolt the teins in, i believe. much easier than strut/spring combos.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

Originally Posted by quique
are you planning on reusing the stock parts or getting new ones. i would reccomend getting new ones, because for one if you are going to take it apart might as well get new parts, and two it will make it a lot faster of an install since you wont have to take apart the old ones, only thing is that it is about 275 dollars for all the parts you need so it is kinda pricey. anyway the one thing that you might want to keep in mind is that if you use the front jack point to lift up the front the jack may get stuck there because of the drop. it happened on my 99 se, but not on my brothers 96 I30 so i dont know. anyway you will be very happy with the ride
you do not need any stock parts to install coilovers.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:53 AM

i am going to be typing in caps. because all of you are misunderstading the pont

TEIN COILOVERS DO NOT COME WITH UPPER PILLOW BALL MOUNTS. ALSO KNOWN AS YOUR STOCK MOUNT. MEANING YOU CANNOT JUST TAKE YOUR OLD SUSPENSION OUT N POP IN THE TEINS. NOT FOR OUT CAR ANYWAYS. SO YES, IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL TEINS, YOU NEED TO RE-USE THE STOCK UPPER MOUNTS. IF NOT, SHEL OUT AROUND $300 FOR THOSE STOCK PARTS. THEREFORE YOU NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR TO DE-COMPRESS THE OLD SPRINGS

D2 coilovers as well as k-sport n JIC all have upper pillow mounts which is a direct fit. i can install a set of coilovers tat HAVE the upper mount in about an hour or 2. As i was installing THISMAXISTIGHT's coilovers, i ran into a lot of complications. n running around getting the stuff you need when you know you need it doesn't help. get a drill bit from lowe's or home depot that looks like a cone. trust me, i know its like $35, but its well worth it. THISMAXISTIGHT can verify that. it would have taken me more then 3 hours to use a reg drill bit. n about 5 hours more if i didn't have air tools for the compressor. n make sure you get the spring compressor that has 2 bars for the strut n spring combo.

P.S. - i still don't get how some people with so many posts can still make this mistake?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 AM

you will need to use some of your stock parts guys. But remember, your car will not handle as great if you dont get it aligned properly. Have fun, and be ready to enjoy your ride.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Project Ruby......

Congrats! I just bought my friend's 5spd Max and it has some JICs, coilovers are superior over spring/struts
Old 07-29-2005, 12:17 PM

i want some coilovers, but i have no money
Old 07-29-2005, 03:39 PM

the cone drill bit is called a uni bit, very common in the electrical trade. you can use a regular drill also i used a 1/2" bit with a craftsman cordless drill, and it took me maybe 2-3 minutes on each hole, it is not that hard, if you can find a 9/16" bit even better. and like has been stated you will either use the old parts or by the new ones. if you dont have air tools dont go out and by them unless you wanted to. you can do it with hand tools its is just a bit harder. took me and my brother 2 1/2 hours to put them on his car from the time he got here to when we drove it, so that includes setup and everything not too hard.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
ive got the tein basic system on my 98 max.....its a great ride, kinda rough for me cause of the philly roads ..... anyway theres a few things you gotta know...the main thing is that the bolt holes on the front struts are too small for the bolts that are on the maxima now....its wierd, I dont know what the f*^k tein was doing but they made the holes too small, and it was actually a biatch to get thoese holes drilled..make sure you have a good drill or drill press..... other than that you should be ok.....get a nice spring compressor and I hope you have air tools cause taking the old suspension apart is gonna be a nightmare without air tools.... any ?'s, give me a pm... I installed them with "immasquashyou" .... btw, if you dont mind me asking-how much did you pay for them and where did you get them ?
yea i didnt look at this thread untill today and i found out about the drilling and did used the cone shape.....i have pic of the car and a pic of the drilled front strut next to the undrilled strut to see if u guys can tell and maybe help other ppl out......i love them....ill post pics tom
Old 07-31-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
btw, if you dont mind me asking-how much did you pay for them and where did you get them ?
820 shipped
Old 07-31-2005, 07:22 PM

yes some stock parts are needed and if still dont beleive me i just did it yesterday and o yea by the i love the ride...a liitle stiff up front but still love em
Old 07-31-2005, 09:05 PM

nice.. how low is it?? btw sean05 is that a drifter wing in you sig? im getting some ideas...
Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 AM

any updates?...i'm planning on getting this setup... let me know how it goes.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM

BRINGING THIS BACK!!! just got my Tein Basics...i did the front today and the ride is great!!! will be installing the rear tomorrow morning. so far i love it and i can tell the superior difference over all...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:44 AM

pics or it didnt happen. You can only adjust ride height with Basic right? no dampening?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM

yes it is true, only ride height...but the ride is just so good that you dont have to worry about dampening.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kidgrave
yes it is true, only ride height...but the ride is just so good that you dont have to worry about dampening.
Truth. I <3 my basics. Dampening is perfect and I'm all the way down, no rubbing.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

yea, my next coils are either Stance or Tein
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

How easily do they blow when you slam your car?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by snowman89
Truth. I <3 my basics. Dampening is perfect and I'm all the way down, no rubbing.
do you have any pics? i've been leaning towards BC's, but if i can find some reasonably priced Tein's i'd consider it.

[would you happen to have any reason to be in Phoenixville ever? the description of your car in your sig seems to match a maxima i saw drive by on 113 (with Tein stickers), while the 97 SE i totaled was getting loaded onto a tow truck lol]
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Well I don't know if reasonably priced Teins exist, haha.. But they're worth it in my opinion.. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

As for being in Phoenixville.. I've been there plenty of times, but I'd say almost a 100% chance that you saw my boy Francis (xfactor22). He went to school down there along with his brother who also has a 4th gen.. But yeah, his Max fits the description too. Plus he's had LED tails for about 2 years longer than me..
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by WesCTR
do you have any pics? i've been leaning towards BC's, but if i can find some reasonably priced Tein's i'd consider it.

[would you happen to have any reason to be in Phoenixville ever? the description of your car in your sig seems to match a maxima i saw drive by on 113 (with Tein stickers), while the 97 SE i totaled was getting loaded onto a tow truck lol]
Haha, I saw you in the parking lot and i did notice your car getting loaded onto that tow truck, what a wierd coincidence! I also saw your thumbs up when i drove by!! Sorry to see your car is totalled! I live in the pottstown area now.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM

when me and my brother(xfactor) helped put snowmans coilovers on I was a little disappointed in how little they could be adjusted but the rode height is still low and quality is great!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xfactor22
Haha, I saw you in the parking lot and i did notice your car getting loaded onto that tow truck, what a wierd coincidence! I also saw your thumbs up when i drove by!! Sorry to see your car is totalled! I live in the pottstown area now.
haha word man. i live in phoenixville and work in limerick.

totaling the car actually worked out in my favor. i got 1500 more for it than i paid for it from state farm and im getting a 5spd in a week or so...and keeping the crashed one for parts so i'll be back on the road soon. i'm sure we'll end up seeing each other around.

did you go to VFCC? if so i feel like i met you one night a few years ago because i noticed your car. i was in a beat up 95 GXE then.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by WesCTR
haha word man. i live in phoenixville and work in limerick.

totaling the car actually worked out in my favor. i got 1500 more for it than i paid for it from state farm and im getting a 5spd in a week or so...and keeping the crashed one for parts so i'll be back on the road soon. i'm sure we'll end up seeing each other around.

did you go to VFCC? if so i feel like i met you one night a few years ago because i noticed your car. i was in a beat up 95 GXE then.
Yeah, i remember you followed me onto the campus, that was a while ago, i got new rims, new exhaust, front lip, new headlights and some other small stuff since then. You getting a 4th gen 5speed? Yeah, you should come to some of the meets in the area.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Xfactor22
Yeah, i remember you followed me onto the campus, that was a while ago, i got new rims, new exhaust, front lip, new headlights and some other small stuff since then. You getting a 4th gen 5speed? Yeah, you should come to some of the meets in the area.
small world lol. and i definitely plan on it.