4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 01:10 PM

What is the best product out there to get scratches out of my Max. Some are minor but today something hit my car an put a pretty deep chip in the paint. I have tried Turtle Wax Scratch remover but didnt work. Has ne one used GS27??
Old 05-23-2001, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KiLIAkLoWn
What is the best product out there to get scratches out of my Max. Some are minor but today something hit my car an put a pretty deep chip in the paint. I have tried Turtle Wax Scratch remover but didnt work. Has ne one used GS27??
Use 3M rubbing compound. To me its the best.

www.3M.com
Old 05-23-2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by KiLIAkLoWn
I have used GS-27 and it actually worked, a little. If you can take your finger nail and not feel the scratch, it will cover it up. GS-27 mainly takes care of swerl marks. I have also use Zymol "Cleaner Wax" for swerls. But for scratches, Im not sure of anything that will work. (I havnt used that 3M stuff though)
Old 05-24-2001, 03:17 PM
seanqlee

i went to the website to check out the rubbing compound. There are whole bunch of rubbing compounds. Which one should i buy? Does kragen or pepboys have them? I have a white maxima. I think its artic white(milk color) I got buncho scratches and lil bit of peels...

Old 05-24-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by seanqlee
i went to the website to check out the rubbing compound. There are whole bunch of rubbing compounds. Which one should i buy? Does kragen or pepboys have them? I have a white maxima. I think its artic white(milk color) I got buncho scratches and lil bit of peels...
You want the fine cut compound.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:11 PM

I just used this new Meguiar's X-Scratch swirl and scratch remover and I like it a lot. I then finished it off with a coat of High-Yellow wax. It basically is the best I've ever used and it really does a lot better than that crappy GS-27 that leaves more scratches than it removes.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:53 AM

SWIRL?

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
swirl and scratch remover
Swirl remover? What's that? Oh, you must mean SWERL remover, sorry.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:01 AM
Mike'z Max

DO NOT USE GS27!!!!!! That stuff is sh*t. my car has light patches all over it from that stuff. if i saw that mutherf$%ker from the infomercial i would ring his neck. the stuff will work if your car is white. but other than that no. i heard that 3M stuff is good from someone on this board. course, someone also just told you GS27 was good too, so that shows you what you can believe here. i don't know try 3M and let me know.

Old 05-29-2001, 01:05 AM
seanqlee

Originally posted by deezo

You want the fine cut compound.
will that work for anycolor? Mine is white..

Old 05-29-2001, 02:06 AM

Meguiars Scratch X

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I just used this new Meguiar's X-Scratch swirl and scratch remover and I like it a lot. I then finished it off with a coat of High-Yellow wax. It basically is the best I've ever used and it really does a lot better than that crappy GS-27 that leaves more scratches than it removes.
My dealer's wash guys scrubbed the bugs off my hood leaving a lot of very fine,shallow scratches. Cleaner wax took out some of them - do you think this is a good next step, or is it too agressive?

What color did you try it on? Have you tried it on black? Did you have to do a whole panel or were you able to just do the trouble spots?
Old 05-29-2001, 11:13 AM
Mike'z Max

i just bought the 3M stuff today, i will try it

Old 05-29-2001, 02:51 PM

3M

Originally posted by Mike'z Max
i just bought the 3M stuff today, i will try it
Mike, which 3M product are you trying? I'm really interested in your results.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by seanqlee

will that work for anycolor? Mine is white..
Yes. this is the stuff that auto body shops use. Trust me guys, 3M products are top notch.

www.3m.com
Old 05-29-2001, 09:19 PM

Re: Meguiars Scratch X

Originally posted by javamax

My dealer's wash guys scrubbed the bugs off my hood leaving a lot of very fine,shallow scratches. Cleaner wax took out some of them - do you think this is a good next step, or is it too agressive?

What color did you try it on? Have you tried it on black? Did you have to do a whole panel or were you able to just do the trouble spots?
It is not too aggressive, its very harmless. I tried it on my max (black). It said it can safely remove scratches and swirls without adding more scratches to the paint and it did. It also said to either do the trouble spots or "revive the whole car's entire look" so I did the whole car and it worked great. It gave my car a much glossier and deeper black finish while removing the fine scratches and swirls. I highly recommend this product. I keep hearing good news about 3M, but I tend to stick with the well-known car wax brands such as Meguiar's. I say it does a great job. Its easy to apply and take off without leaving a powdery residue. Try it out.