4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

o2 sensor .... oem or universal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Jacked Up off MountainDew

o2 sensor .... oem or universal?

with the o2 sensor does it even matter going with oem or universal

for rear o2 sensor from bosch....149.99 for oem and 66.99 for universal.... will it really be that big of a difference?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bluestealz
with the o2 sensor does it even matter going with oem or universal

for rear o2 sensor from bosch....149.99 for oem and 66.99 for universal.... will it really be that big of a difference?
what website you using?
buyoxygensensors.com is the cheapest.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:58 PM

only problem is i procrastinated.... i have nyc inspection this friday on car .... the new inspection ...they just check the computer...but my light is on. they will never ship it in time and i dont know what happens if i miss my inspection date
Old 08-09-2005, 02:03 PM

i dont know what happens if i miss my inspection date
can't you just reset ur ECU while in the inspection line and hope the code doesn't reappear during the inspection process?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM

lol...could try that but i wanna be full proof. plus im losing gas mileage anyway. i already replaced my front two sensors but neva did the back. procrastination is a *****
Old 08-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Just reset the ECU
Old 08-09-2005, 02:09 PM

lol...could try that but i wanna be full proof. plus im losing gas mileage anyway. i already replaced my front two sensors but neva did the back. procrastination is a *****
it's "fool proof"

Just reset the ECU, take your chances. If it comes back on and you fail, order the o2 sensor and have it installed. The next week, head back to the inspection agency.

Avoid forking out extra $$ at all costs!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:06 PM

I had same problem with my 97 Max. CEL was on for last 1.5 yrs and I have state inspection this month. Last Sunday(8/7/05), I reset my ECU and hope it would be gone. So far, so good. I thought I have to change it because when I had reset last time, CEL came on next day. Don't know why?? Maybe temperature sensitive, Summer Vs Winter? I heard O2 sensor needs to be heat up before it works properly. Since it's pretty much hot/warm in summer, perhaps, that doesn't throw out code? What do you think? Can ECU throw code out if O2 sensor doesn't get warm up fast enough?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 PM

OEM comes with the connector (plug and play) and the universal doesn't (you have to reuse your old one) - call up some local stores to find the best price and buy it...

The rear sensor has nothing to do with your gas mileage
Old 08-09-2005, 08:29 PM

so what does the rear sensor really do???? that sux i thought id have better gas mileage once i put a new one in.

im gonna reset my ecu right before i go to get my inspection. i heard theres a button next to the computer or sumtin, can someone talk about that?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 PM

so what does the rear sensor really do???? that sux i thought id have better gas mileage once i put a new one in.

im gonna reset my ecu right before i go to get my inspection. i heard theres a button next to the computer or sumtin, can someone talk about that?
read the sticky: "HELP! MY CEL IS ON!"
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM

iight, read the sticky.... if i reset my ecu....how long do yall think it will really take to respond to the fact my o2 sensor is messed up? i want to know so im ready when i goto inspect
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 PM

ummm....if you miss it, you just miss it. its like missing a doctor's appointment. at least thats what it's like in nj. i mean, in nj if you fail, they give you 30 days to fix everything that is wrong with it. i mean, what if you say that you're going on vacation from thurs for a week. what are they going to do??? they're not going to say, provide proof. i mean they can, but i doubt it. so just order it n wait. nothing should happen
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 PM
I Broke OT

what is the deal with all of these inspection? are your states more strict about emmissions or what? do you have manditory tests every so often? in Minnesota, I have never had to get my car checked out. sorry, but can someone just fill me in on how this all works?

the rear O2 sensor monitors the functioning of the cat.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM

in ny u have to get inspected every year....b4 they would put a smog machine thing to regulate the air coming out of the vehicle for emissions ratings. but u could easily illegally bypass that and get another car to go on for emissions. (they also used to dyno car). now all they do is plug in a computer to the ECU....and it scans everything including vin number...which is automatically sent upstate to the offices via modem.
basically if the computer says everythings a go....its a go... $37 for the test pass or fail.

if i dont get o2 sensor tommorrow....(might get extreme "hook-up" at autozone) then i will probably order it online and wait. dont want to get caught driving after the date though with expired ****. cops will be quick to pull me over.

i might just try the ecu thing....ima drive around for a while and see how long it takes to come back on..... if it takes a long time im going to reset it again like a block away from inspections place
Old 08-10-2005, 06:33 AM

in ny u have to get inspected every year....b4 they would put a smog machine thing to regulate the air coming out of the vehicle for emissions ratings. but u could easily illegally bypass that and get another car to go on for emissions. (they also used to dyno car). now all they do is plug in a computer to the ECU....and it scans everything including vin number...which is automatically sent upstate to the offices via modem.
basically if the computer says everythings a go....its a go... $37 for the test pass or fail.

if i dont get o2 sensor tommorrow....(might get extreme "hook-up" at autozone) then i will probably order it online and wait. dont want to get caught driving after the date though with expired ****. cops will be quick to pull me over.

i might just try the ecu thing....ima drive around for a while and see how long it takes to come back on..... if it takes a long time im going to reset it again like a block away from inspections place
I would just go and pay it. I don't know how much a a ticket in NY will be but for sure it's going to be more than $37. By the time you order it online, recieve it and install it, you might get more than one ticket. Do you really want to chance it? Now that's money out the window! And you know those cops can see the expired ticket from a mile away.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 AM

My rear o2 sensor code doesnt come back for days, weeks, months... takes a while for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by JaTaN

The rear sensor has nothing to do with your gas mileage
Are you sure about this? One of the reason I knew that something was going on was that my MPG dropped by about 2 mpg. Sure enought - the CEL came on warranting replacement of rear O2. Replaced it with a factory unit - MPG went back up.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:47 AM

The front ones are for the air/fuel mixture and the rear is just there to monitor the cat (doesn't hurt performance - basically useless)

You can put in an oxygen sensor simulator to trick the comp into thinking the rear sensor is fine...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:07 AM

bought my first two oem oxygen sensors online at oxygensensor.com, bought the last one at autozone for $79.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ction=loadPage

it was worth the extra $10 because i needed it right away.

oh, and borrow their oxygen sensor socket makes life easier, it will cost you $15 but you get it back when you return it.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

if you reset your obdII right before you get to inspection, it will not pass. the obd is not ready and non of the monitors are operational. the rear o2 sensor only monitors the cat. and how effiect it is. the front o2 always gives cross counts. to adjust fuel mixture. .4500 and above is rich and below is lean. and the rear should be steady at closed loop. around .2-.3v. if you have cross counts on the rear, you probably have a hollow cat, or failing catalitic converter.