4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I guess this makes me the first.....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JWT popcharger
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by slimer
ill bet that dave thought that he was on global ignore still.
I and a lot of others wish he still was...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by zack342
Yeah dave usually sours most peoples thread but the majority of the guys on here are helpful and try to innovate for others.
I have to admit i did take a risk with the ECU for my 1999 from JWT since i was the second one they have done and i am feeling the backlash now.....
After i filled up with gas not to long ago i tried to restart the car and it didn't want to start.it just cranked. I called JWT and spoke to whoelse but BEN and he suggest i apply some "GAS" while turning it over and sure enough it started but when i tried to restart it again i had to do the same thing. So now he suggest i go to nissan tomorrow and have them set the ECU in some sort of learning mode with the NIssan Consult. He thinks its a Idle air control valve issue since it only has to deal with starts. The car has also been Idling quite low all day. I have driven A total for 35.7 miles today with the ECU in and the problems begin.i reconnect my stock ECU and she runs like a charm so we will see tomorrow. i am hoping it is what they suspect and i will let you guys know what happen when i get back from the dealer. almost 10 weeks and they still didn't get it right......
Hmm thats weird. Consider yourself a pioneer... I'm sure you'll get all these little bugs worked out. Just have some patience.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Devin i think your Forced air intake will make up for any "would be" torque loss related to the MEVI install also how is the 5speed conversion going ? Did you install the flywheel i sent you?
Thats why with my SC I am not worried about any "would be" torque loss.

The 5spd conversion went great!! I got that flywheel that friday (eventhough they said thursday) and started work the next day. By Sunday (the 29th) afternoon everything was together and running. It has been about 300 miles over the past week and a half and everything runs great!!

The clutch is nice and crisp and smooth. The 5th gen clutch along with the removed bleeder line and the ss line is an excellent set up!!

The Fidanza flywheel is great too. It actually took a little getting used to since the motor revs a lot quicker now. So far, I have not experienced that ''hesitation" that others claim comes with the Fidanza.

The LSD is fuccing awsome!! It really grips off the line (sorry guys I caved and did a medium burn out today). The new raxles axles really helped smooth out the ride too. Its amazing how you notice how much **** is really worn out when you put new stuff in.

The B&M STS is probably one of the best buys out there. Just like you said, at first it was a little notchy, but after about 150 miles it was completely smoothed out. The height is absolutely perfect and the look is proper... the way the vehicle should have come from the factory. I drove erics 96 the other day and that stock flag pole he has is really crude... not very precise.

I do have one problem though... I am leaking a small amount of gear oil at the drivers side axle. Its not dripping or anything, but after a 20 mile drive, it will be wet around there on the side of the diff. I will wipe it way, but after another lengthy drive, its wet again. Its not the bearings because 1. the tranny is brand new, and 2. The axle is solid... no wiggle movement waht so ever. I will probably have to pull the axle and put a new seal in. Eric put the axle in on that side while I did the passenger side and I am willing to bet knowing eric, he damaged the seal when he put the axle in.

Anyways, I havent posted a thread with pics yet because most of the pics are on his camera, and I havent gotten them from him yet. But dont worry I will.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Thats why with my SC I am not worried about any "would be" torque loss.

The 5spd conversion went great!! I got that flywheel that friday (eventhough they said thursday) and started work the next day. By Sunday (the 29th) afternoon everything was together and running. It has been about 300 miles over the past week and a half and everything runs great!!

The clutch is nice and crisp and smooth. The 5th gen clutch along with the removed bleeder line and the ss line is an excellent set up!!

The Fidanza flywheel is great too. It actually took a little getting used to since the motor revs a lot quicker now. So far, I have not experienced that ''hesitation" that others claim comes with the Fidanza.

The LSD is fuccing awsome!! It really grips off the line (sorry guys I caved and did a medium burn out today). The new raxles axles really helped smooth out the ride too. Its amazing how you notice how much **** is really worn out when you put new stuff in.

The B&M STS is probably one of the best buys out there. Just like you said, at first it was a little notchy, but after about 150 miles it was completely smoothed out. The height is absolutely perfect and the look is proper... the way the vehicle should have come from the factory. I drove erics 96 the other day and that stock flag pole he has is really crude... not very precise.

I do have one problem though... I am leaking a small amount of gear oil at the drivers side axle. Its not dripping or anything, but after a 20 mile drive, it will be wet around there on the side of the diff. I will wipe it way, but after another lengthy drive, its wet again. Its not the bearings because 1. the tranny is brand new, and 2. The axle is solid... no wiggle movement waht so ever. I will probably have to pull the axle and put a new seal in. Eric put the axle in on that side while I did the passenger side and I am willing to bet knowing eric, he damaged the seal when he put the axle in.

Anyways, I havent posted a thread with pics yet because most of the pics are on his camera, and I havent gotten them from him yet. But dont worry I will.
Awesome Devin. Pics are a Must you know i like pics. Glad to see it came together. i also recommend the T.E.T poly shifter bushing. I installed on last weekend it helps a bunch with the STS its amazing. Shifter feels close to my brothers G35 shifter except my throws are shorter. i wouldn't worry about the leak just get a new seal when you decided its time. its funny to think that so many of the parts from your swap ended up comming from my I30. Did you encounter any check enginer lights with the 5speed MT ecu from the 1996?
your making me quite jealous about not installing my VLSD tranny but even with the noise mine makes it shifts fine and drives the same as it always has and surprisingly the 125k OEM clutch still bites with the JWT/MEVI 7000rpm shift.
Let see some pics and speeking of pioneers i guess that makes you the first I30t with VLSD conversion.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 AM

Checked the codes..... I have 6
P1400
P1445
P1220
P0401
P0920
P0040

Anyone know what the last 3 codes mean? I have looked for them in the sticky but i can't find anything on them.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:47 AM

nice dude. great to hear it works, even if there are codes. how much did it run you total? i was looking to do it someday
Old 08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

p0400 and p0402 are egr related, there is not p0401 in the fsm (at least for my 98 fsm) the other ones seems to be missing too. thats wierd.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:35 AM

do you think that you would need a fsm from 96 if he has a 96 ecu now? even though it is jwt reprogrammed. just a suggestion
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 AM

Ecu cost me a tad on $700 to reprogram and that doesn't include the cost of the ECU.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:24 AM

Sorry I haven't been able to call you about this issue because it's really busy at work. The overall answer to all your questions regarding this is that it shouldn't happen. I think Ben might be blowing smoke by telling you to go to the dealership but we'll see.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:43 AM

P1400
P1445
P1220
P0401
P0920
P0040

Anyone know what the last 3 codes mean? I have looked for them in the sticky but i can't find anything on them.
The last three codes are generic (ie non-Nissan specific) ones

P0401 - EGR flow insufficient detected
P0920 - Gear shift forward actuator sircuit open
P0040 - O2 sensor signals swapped bank 1 sensor 1/ bank 2 sensor 1
Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Custom User Title

For the EGR code, maybe its because the EGR valves on the 99 are electronic?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Awesome Devin. Pics are a Must you know i like pics. Glad to see it came together. i also recommend the T.E.T poly shifter bushing. I installed on last weekend it helps a bunch with the STS its amazing. Shifter feels close to my brothers G35 shifter except my throws are shorter. i wouldn't worry about the leak just get a new seal when you decided its time. its funny to think that so many of the parts from your swap ended up comming from my I30. Did you encounter any check enginer lights with the 5speed MT ecu from the 1996?
your making me quite jealous about not installing my VLSD tranny but even with the noise mine makes it shifts fine and drives the same as it always has and surprisingly the 125k OEM clutch still bites with the JWT/MEVI 7000rpm shift.
Let see some pics and speeking of pioneers i guess that makes you the first I30t with VLSD conversion.
I actually havent put the 96 manual ecu in yet. I wanted to see how the car actually performed with the auto one in. I did this just in case I can into any problems, I could rule out the ecu as the culprit. Since every thing is fine (except for that bastard leak) I'm gonna swap it in real soon. My guess is that I will trip the rear O2 sensor code, but I have the thread on how to eliminate it bookmarked and it seems doable.

When that bearing in your tranny finally craps out, I would just put some new seals in your vlsd one and slap that sucker on!! Hell, the things got only 30K on it so you would be good for at least a couple of years before you could start having problems.

As far as I can tell, I am the first and only I30 to do a 5spd swap. When I get my SC in I will be the only SC'd I30 5spd. There was a guy named I30Krab that had a SC, but he was auto.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Custom User Title

Any 1995 GLE 5spd 3.5 V6's out there?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Armed and Dangerous

P1400
P1445
P1220
P0401
P0920
P0040

Whats the emissions laws in MA?? If you have a CEL do you automatically fail??

Here in CO, if you have a CEL they go ahead and run the car anyway and if it passes, it passes. Only the word "fail" appears next to the "Check Engine Light" line.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Whats the emissions laws in MA?? If you have a CEL do you automatically fail??
Yup.............
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by deezo
Yup.............
Damn......
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM

P1400
P1445
P1220
P0401
P0920
P0040

i have been driving around and clearing the codes every time a start to see which ones i get for the most part every time i get 3 constant ones

P0443
P1400
P1445

i also got 2 random codes which i have no idea what they are
B0640
C0240

I spoke to my "buddy" ben at jwt and he said he will get back to me....... The car runs and drivers ok with these 3 codes but once i open the gas cap and try to restart the car it doesn't seem like it is buildering fuel pressure so i have to give it some gas. after i over come this hurdle everything is fine and dandy but for driving but starts may or may not require application of gas.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 PM

Dynoing Wenesday i will let you guys know what is going on...
Old 08-15-2005, 02:34 PM

are those ecu problems (stalling etc) mainly 99 related??.

I've flirted with the idea of an ecu upgrade, but that would only be with a 00VI install, otherwise I'd just add a SAFCII and tune somewhere rather than let JWT have my ecu for such a long time, thats just ridiculous.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:11 PM

No one has shown any proven gains on the dyno or at the track. The two guys on here that have dynoed did not dyno on dynojet dynos and also have SMT6 or Apexi Safc's so i couldn't tell if there would be any advanted to the MEVI/ECU combo other than the opinions of other members.
Huh? I'm not sure I understand. Explain to me why you're disqualifying my dyno (done on a Dynojet) that showed substantial gains of the 00vi over the MEVI?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Huh? I'm not sure I understand. Explain to me why you're disqualifying my dyno (done on a Dynojet) that showed substantial gains of the 00vi over the MEVI?
I am not dismissing your dyno by any means but i think all the 00VI hype is overrated. If i remember correctly you made something like 14wtq over when you had mevi which was excellent but on a NA car how much diffrence you think there really will be maybe 5wtq?
I would have gone to 00Vi route myself but like i said i can the extra work and effort required not to mention the 1999 calispec problems i would encounter. I wish one of these 5speed mt guys would dyno on a dynojet so i can get the run files to compare.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM

I am not dismissing your dyno by any means but i think all the 00VI hype is overrated. If i remember correctly you made something like 14wtq over when you had mevi which was excellent but on a NA car how much diffrence you think there really will be maybe 5wtq?
I would have gone to 00Vi route myself but like i said i can the extra work and effort required not to mention the 1999 calispec problems i would encounter. I wish one of these 5speed mt guys would dyno on a dynojet so i can get the run files to compare.
Wed is the moment of truth. See whether the 00vi is all it's cracked up to be on a NA max.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
99Automagic

You're not running to NEw England Dyno are you? There's alot of dyno shops around the area if you look. There's one in Hanover, ACR Racing. Same price as NE Dyno. We got sick of hiking to Worcester all the time so we did a bit of searching. My brother is going down there Sat. to get his SRT-4 dyno tuned. we recently installed a new FMIC and a 1:1 FPR/return line. Looking for over 300whp this time. Damn scary neons.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Wed is the moment of truth. See whether the 00vi is all it's cracked up to be on a NA max.
Its proven alot of guys on here are doing 200whp with JWT/MEVI.

I like NE Dyno. it is a hike but i like them there. Last time i dynoed they let me dyno for 2.5 hours for $65
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 AM
99Automagic

Its proven alot of guys on here are doing 200whp with JWT/MEVI.

I like NE Dyno. it is a hike but i like them there. Last time i dynoed they let me dyno for 2.5 hours for $65

If you get the older guy, he's the owner, he's lenient with the times. But if he's not running the dyno, they charge full price. There's a lady that does the office work and a guy named Nevo that runs it also. Nevo is a SRT-4 guy.
His gf has a red SRT-4 that's putting down like 450+.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:10 AM

BSwithTF gained over 8 hp and 11 tq, NA (on a Dynojet). That's not insignificant, especially since there is improvement throughout the rpm range. There's a good increase in area under the power curve, which to me, makes it worth it.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=363625
Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

BSwithTF is also auto ...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:08 AM

BSwithTF gained over 8 hp and 11 tq, NA (on a Dynojet). That's not insignificant, especially since there is improvement throughout the rpm range. There's a good increase in area under the power curve, which to me, makes it worth it.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=363625
i remember this and it is very true but it still an Auto. I would like to see a monual to manual comparison.....I know it will be argued that the gains will bee the same for auto/manual cars.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
If you get the older guy, he's the owner, he's lenient with the times. But if he's not running the dyno, they charge full price. There's a lady that does the office work and a guy named Nevo that runs it also. Nevo is a SRT-4 guy.
His gf has a red SRT-4 that's putting down like 450+.
Nevo was the one who let me dyno for 2.5 hours for $65
Old 08-16-2005, 07:15 AM
99Automagic

How many runs for 65?

Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 AM

i remember this and it is very true but it still an Auto. I would like to see a monual to manual comparison.....I know it will be argued that the gains will bee the same for auto/manual cars.
Well. Now it sounds like you don't want to be convinced.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 AM
99Automagic

Nobody wants to be told that there is a "better one out there", no matter what is in question, cars, tv's, gf....variable intakes.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
Nobody wants to be told that there is a "better one out there", no matter what is in question, cars, tv's, gf....variable intakes.
No one wants to work with what they have either. I'm not moving over to the 00VI. I got other plans and plus I want to see what Japmax has under his sleeves for his MEVI.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:10 AM

Well. Now it sounds like you don't want to be convinced.
that is not true. there isn't enough empirical data to substantiate that fact.I am mainly concerned with NA maxima.I know you have seen excellent gain but your also boosted and that would result for other variables. I have seen 6-7 200whp/200wtq dynos(on dynojet) for JWT ECU/MEVI but there are 4 00vi dynos i can think of 2 of which were on diffrent types of dynos which "read lower than dynojets", 1 car had SMT and the other was an automatic.
I cannot make a definitive conclusion based on inconclusive data. If i were to see 4-5 5speed 00VI swap dynos showing better gains i would be unable to argue the fact but there arent. So i have to back what i believe to be proven.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:20 AM

i would love to have a oovi with my jwt but decided not to do the install.the oovi has alot of fabing and then splicing and this and that that i don' t want to even get into.if i ever ran into some type of engine trouble and a shop had to take off the oovi and put it back i would be stuck trying to tell them how to put it back. so for the power difference from the mevi to the oovi that i would gain did not make me crazy enough to tackle that combo unless i lived next door to someone that did the install then selves that would help me. my mevi is simple and straight forward and with the combination of the ecu its crazy and i didn;t even put my y-pipe on yet . you guys can have the oovi and 3.5 swap i guess i'll catch up with a turbo later on in the year.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 AM

that is not true. there isn't enough empirical data to substantiate that fact.I am mainly concerned with NA maxima.I know you have seen excellent gain but your also boosted and that would result for other variables. I have seen 6-7 200whp/200wtq dynos(on dynojet) for JWT ECU/MEVI but there are 4 00vi dynos i can think of 2 of which were on diffrent types of dynos which "read lower than dynojets", 1 car had SMT and the other was an automatic.
I cannot make a definitive conclusion based on inconclusive data. If i were to see 4-5 5speed 00VI swap dynos showing better gains i would be unable to argue the fact but there arent. So i have to back what i believe to be proven.
Never mind my dyno, then, but I think the gains it shows at lower rpm (where boost is still building up) is consistent with the gains shown by BSwithTF, and taken together they provide strong proof that the 00vi outperforms the MEVI, especially before the switchover point. There is no reason why a NA car with manual tranny will show less gains than BSwithTF's, and indeed they may be greater.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM

Never mind my dyno, then, but I think the gains it shows at lower rpm (where boost is still building up) is consistent with the gains shown by BSwithTF, and taken together they provide strong proof that the 00vi outperforms the MEVI, especially before the switchover point. There is no reason why a NA car with manual tranny will show less gains than BSwithTF's, and indeed they may be greater.
Still speculation. I would like to see some dynos and some better track times.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM

........but japmax has something up his sleeve with the MEVI so we shall see.

Quick Reply: I guess this makes me the first.....(pics)