4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

great...CEL is on again

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

great...CEL is on again

The CEL is on again. I had a CEL for a MAP solenoid problem. It turned out a vacuum hose was not connected. The CEL went away. Now I got another CEL. Two codes this time: a 0705(EVAP system leak)and a 0703(catalyst system fault..left bank). Could the EVAP leak cause the 0703 code to trip? I already replaced the charcoal canister and the purge valve. Only thing I still haven't change is the EVAP vent control valve(one inside the engine bay). Could that be it? I'm confused about the catalyst system fault code though. This wasn't the first time it tripped. I got this code before. Turned out it was the stock cat that was bad. It was pretty clogged up, had an opening the size of a nickel. Needed an immediately replacement so I replaced it with a test pipe. It's CM resonated test pipe. Didn't want a test pipe, but had no choice. Kind of hard to find a good condition stock cat you know. The code went away. That was about a few months ago. Now the code trips again. WTH? Is it the test pipe? Or is it something else?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The test pipe is most likely throwing the catalyst code, being the catalyst is now missing.

Check or just replace your gas cap, it could be leaking.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The test pipe is most likely throwing the catalyst code, being the catalyst is now missing.

Check or just replace your gas cap, it could be leaking.

Never like the test pipe anyway. I'm going probably replace it with a high flow cat since a new stock cat will cost too much. Don't like the idea of getting an used stock cat from someone, who knows the condition it's really in. Gas cap huh? Never thought of that. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:44 AM

Where do I get a gas cap from? I tried Pepboys, Autozone, and Advance Autoparts. They didn't carry one for a Maxima. A friend said his brother got one at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart? Anyone can confirm this?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Old Maxima Legend

cumalot, give me first dibs on that test pipe, heck i will trade you my stock cat, for your test pipe, nothing wrong with mine. also hope you get things worked out.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Old Maxima Legend

go by a junkyard and get one off a wreck, i bet h2kspig still has one on the pig that sits in his garage, you know the maxima parts car
Old 08-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Ceasar, this test pipe is for 95-96 Maximas, it has an O2 sensor bung it in. I know 97-99 cats don't have the O2 sensor bung. So your cat probably won't fit mine. It's ok, I don't really want an used stock cat anyway. You can still have first dibs on the test pipe once I remove it however.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 PM

I went to Wal-Mart and surprisingly enough, they did have a gas cap for our Maximas. I hope this solve my EVAP problem.

Ceasar: if still want the test pipe, I can still give you dibs. However, since there is an O2 sensor bung there, you will have to plug it up with a bolt.