4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission not shifting, stuck in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Transmission not shifting, stuck in 2nd

I recently had some problems with my car, here's the thread related to that issue:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=419626

Now, about the same time that happened I had an issue where my transmission was stuck in 2nd gear and I changed the fuse in it and it turned out fine. However, it happened again and I changed the fuse in it again and the next day my tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. Has someone had this issue before, I know it's electrical, and I can still go in reverse? I am going to change my drop resistor since I bought one and i also had the same issues along with the top thread happening more than once. Any answers are appreciated, thanks.

-Mark
Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 PM

damn, can your tranny be going to the grave? getting stuck in gear does not sound good. It can be syncro related. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

synchos in a automatic? didnt know they had thoes. You car is in limp home mode, it is using LOS(limited operating strategy) But anyway, get to your local dealer or someone with a scantool that can read your pcm for codes. if you have traction control in your car, get the codes from the TCM. and go from there. If you dont want to do this, get a service manual and start testing solenoids. you may have to backprobe into the pcm or tcm to get the solenoids. check the resistances and see what oem is.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Is it really hard to test solenoids and to get where they are? My tranny only has 82k miles on it=( and i dont push on it hard. my mechanic said something about not disconnecting the battery when my ypipe got replaced back to stock. come to think of it, that was the very first time my tranny stopped changing gears. as soon as i drove it off their lot it was like that. i brought it to my mechanic and he changed the fuse in it and it worked fine for a long while. then it happened again about a month later, and then more and more frequently. it does seem electrical, not directly related to the trans. damn. any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:52 AM

well check the o2 sensor circuit. the wires could be shorting to ground. which fuse did he replace. you may have blown a driver in the pcm. fix the problem, and you might solve it. and if it doesnt, replace PCM
Old 08-20-2005, 10:14 AM

i believe it was the fuse in the lower right hand box, left hand side, fourth one up. by checking the o2 sensor circuit, how would i know if its shorting to ground? i know jack about electrical stuff so bare with me. what exactly is the pcm?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM

the power wire for the oxygen sensor heater is probably shorting to ground. thus blowing the fuse. PCM - power train control module. its the computer of your car, it controls the engine and transmission. your oxygen sensor has 3 wires. either RED BLACK WHITE i dont really know off hand. the white is proabaly the signal wire and the red is probably the heater wire. check the heater wire for broken insulation.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks a bunch, I have off the next two days so I'll go check it out. If the heater wire has broken insulation, what would be the solution?

Also, I found out one thing. Its actually the a/t control fuse in the fuse box in the car. and everytime i go in reverse and hit the throttle, the fuse gets blown instantly.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM

damn, i brought it to meineke and they said nothings wrong with the 02 sensor. my mechanic said before that when they welded the pipe on they forgot to do something with the battery which confused me because its a bolt-on? i haven't really had the time to check underneath it, but yea, i think i am going to actually disconnect my battery for a long period of time and hopefully thatll fix the problem. i hate my car so much because of al the problems ive been going through.. le sigh
Old 08-24-2005, 07:39 PM

I tried pulling codes from my tranny, and the haynes manual says this process about cloicking the o/d off button and shifting the gears but I cant get the tranny computer to blink the codes.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 AM

if the forgot to disconnect the battery, then go back and have them fix it for free. NEVER WELD ON A CAR WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY FIRST.

they mostlikely blew out the pcm's diode.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 AM

DAMN IT. it sucks because I had it done over a month ago. when it first happened i thought "damn, this power loss is soo drastic" and thats because it was stuck in 3rd gear. I brought it to my mechanic and he did something, probably changing the fuse, and it worked fine for a month. ALSO, that place doesnt give a detailed receipt, just a CREDIT CARD receipt, so i'm kinda pissed. now, if they wont do it, how much would that kind of repair be at a stealership.