4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
cpt

I went with everything stock, I think the engineers konw what they are doing
Old 08-31-2005, 05:48 PM

for starters. cost. many coil over kits are also known to produce suspenion noise also. then, if you have the ability to drop the car that low, you know your gonna.. so say hello to camber issues, bottoming out,... alot of the things arent mentioned about drops that low becuase its never blamed on the car.. the rough streets, the high curb, the steep driveway.. yea.. it looks noce being that low, but i want a car i can drive without it dictating how it HAS to be driven. talk to some of the older guys that have had stuff like this done to their car for a few years now.. as time goes buy you finally realize that you spent alot of money to make a nice car ride like sh-t. if your gonna drive these cars everyday, you have to find a happy medium.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
for starters. cost. many coil over kits are also known to produce suspenion noise also. then, if you have the ability to drop the car that low, you know your gonna.. so say hello to camber issues, bottoming out,... alot of the things arent mentioned about drops that low becuase its never blamed on the car.. the rough streets, the high curb, the steep driveway.. yea.. it looks noce being that low, but i want a car i can drive without it dictating how it HAS to be driven. talk to some of the older guys that have had stuff like this done to their car for a few years now.. as time goes buy you finally realize that you spent alot of money to make a nice car ride like sh-t. if your gonna drive these cars everyday, you have to find a happy medium.
Of couse the cost a lot you get a lot for it, and if you compare the price of say Ksports to ne Illuminas and say H&R the price isnt that far off.

Suspension noise is due to and improperly set up suspension, I'm sure you ask most of coil overs if they have noise and most would say no, witha proper install and/or good adjustments you wont hear any noise. Just because some one has coil overs doesnt mean that just slam it down and done, you have adjustability so you can go as low as you want or get the perfect setup for your driving. You get an alignment to get your camber and in spec, some packages come with camber plates so that you wont have a problem being in spec. Ask those on coil overs, mostly from what I've heard they ride atleast as good as any spring/strut combo for our car.

the only catch the coil overs is its expensive, and you have to know what your doing and have the patience in setting it up right.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I'm sure you ask most of coil overs if they have noise and most would say no
theres people on here with eibach gr2's and 18's that tell people its a comfortable riding set-up too
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 PM

I wouldnt doubt it. I'm just saying coil overs dont give a bad ride quality, for all the R&R that goes into it and the price, they wouldnt stay in business if it wasnt comfortable.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Coilovers also handle better than.... anything else. Period.

And actually, the interesting thing is that my car almost never bottoms out with Ksport coilovers. In fact, if I take care going over speed bumps, it never bottoms out at all. There's this dip in the road right at the foot of a bridge on my street, and if I went over it over 20 mph on the stock setup, I'd scrape the ground. Now I'm 3 inches lower in front, and I can drive over that dip at 30 mph and nothing happens. When you have springs that are actually made to be that low, you're made in the shade.

And about the ride comfort thing... Yes, it's bumpy, but it's controlled. You really feel the bumps sometimes, but there's less bouncing and oscillation than with lesser setups. One thing's for sure: Ksport and D2 coilovers are a LOT smoother than you'd expect for such stiff springs. I have to say, though, that I'd hate my life if I had to drive on them mostly in the city. But in the 'burbs and on the highways that I'm always on, they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You really should know a thing or two about suspension before you slap a set of coilovers on, though. Installing them is something that anyone with a socket set and a couple of good wrenches can do, but setting them right for what you want takes some patience and attention. It's not as much of a one-and-done thing.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 PM

my car was so bumpy with the gr2's in it, it reached the point that i was embarassed to have anyone in it
Old 09-03-2005, 04:41 PM

$145 for Tein H-Techs

Please note: my Illuminas have been sold. I still have a brand new set of Tein H-Techs for sale at $145 + shipping
Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So i finally installed my maxspeeds with the tokico hp's, along with brand new control arms, inner and ourter tie rods, and new spring isolators.

Wow, what a difference, the ride is so much smoother and stiffer. Definitley a great thing. I'll post pics soon.

Thanks all for your help
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
i have about $5000 worth of bent rims in the garage due to gr2's.. the problem with gr2's is that they are too stiff, especially combined with a much stiffer spring. its not because they dont have enough dampening force, its because they hardly dampen anything at all. why do you think they are the cheapest strut you can buy that wont blow on a lowered spring.
if you think putting a spring thats 50% stiffer than stock on your car combined with the stiffest strut known to mankind (gr's2) wont bend rims, your sadly mistaken.. think about what you just said again for a minute.. your saying that an aftermarket suspension that about 65% stiffer than you original is going to have more give, and travel than the 30 psi of air pressure in your tire.. also.. if the tire is flexing enough for the edge of the rim to even make contact with a solid object that can bend it (moderate pothole) the problem isnt "weak rims"
your comparing your experience with gr2's on a stock spring, and probably on stock size rims and tires too..
Respectfully, that made no sense.

I have GR2s in the front with stock springs. I replaced my front struts this time last year. I recently just ordered rear shocks because it is time. While I was buying the rear shocks, I purchased H&R Sport Springs on an impulse.

Common sense kicked in and I called KYB. The GR2s are about 15% stiffer than the OEM shocks and struts. KYB told me that GR2s are the same as AGX 2/4 settings. They also told me that on my make and model of vehicle, my GR2s can handle up to a 1.5" drop. My H&R springs are a 1.4/1.3" drop. The problem with my springs is with the spring rate. My H&R springs are 30% stiffer. KYB stated that they cannot recommend GR2s with H&R Sport Springs. The could however recommend that I either install the H&R OE Sport Springs -- which are not available on my vehicle -- or replace my struts and shocks with AGX's set on 3/5.

Now, I'm stuck. I don't know if I want to send back my new rear GR2s and replace my fronts with AGXs and order AGX shocks for the rear or just stick with the GR2s. The difference between shocks and springs is only 15%.

With regard to wheel damage, I seriously doubt that the struts/shocks have anything to do with it. My guess this has more to do with potholes and low sidewalls and perhaps under-inflation.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Let me say what everyone else is trying to say..... JUST GET THE ILLUMINAS AND BE DONE WITH IT. THEY ARE THE BEST STRUT/SHOCK FOR THE 4TH GEN MAXIMA. I HAVE THE ILLUMINAS WITH H-TECHS. SIMPLY AWESOME!!! I'll stop yelling now. They are expensive, but worth every penny.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by retrospex
i hate to add more flame to this fire, but i'd like to know if the illumina shocks/struts set with the springs is something to consider when i decide to purchase suspension components for my car, or should i get h&r springs (as what i'm seeing is quite popular) and some other shocks/struts. by the way i too live in nyc (queens) and my max still has stock rims, tires, and suspension (SE -1998)... thanks
Like Maximaboy said, get a set of Illuminas and pair them with Tein H-Techs, which you can buy from me, brand new, for $145.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM

I need to replace FRONT struts only and I'm limiting my choices to GR2's or Tokico Blues (of course, money-wise) but not able to decide on which one to pick. May I know which one is better among those two choices ?? At this time and for foreseeable future, I won't be lowering the car and will be using stock springs with either of these struts on the front.

Cost of each strut from the online website are:

Tokico HP: $90
KYB GR2: $66
Illumina: $128

Are HPs worth the extra $24 per strut over the GR2 ????? Any problems with either of them ??

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by flthere
I need to replace FRONT struts only and I'm limiting my choices to GR2's or Tokico Blues (of course, money-wise) but not able to decide on which one to pick. May I know which one is better among those two choices ?? At this time and for foreseeable future, I won't be lowering the car and will be using stock springs with either of these struts on the front.

Cost of each strut from the online website are:

Tokico HP: $90
KYB GR2: $66
Illumina: $128

Are HPs worth the extra $24 per strut over the GR2 ????? Any problems with either of them ??

Thanks
I was in the exact same situation last Sept. and I went with the GR2s because the GR2's are 15% stiffer than stock which for me was not too little and not too much. They are also high quality shocks. Where tuners run into trouble is when they don't check manufacturer specs before lowering. *cough* Which you know, is what I just about did. The GR2s are meant to be OEM replacements.

The other reason why I went with the GR2's instead of let's say the AGX, is because I figured that I would set tem to 2/4 and that would be it. Also, I didn't think I would still have the car.

Fast forward to present. I should have bought KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina adjustables. If I were to do it again -- and I just might be real soon depending on how the H&R Sport springs ride and how quickly they blow out the GR2s -- I would get KYB AGXs all the way around. There is a package deal with free shipping here:

http://www.importrp.com/home.php?cat=70

KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks - FREE SHIPPING!!!

95-99 Maxima - FULL SET - Part #'s 734018, 734017, and 741039 (x2)

Part number: NM9599
List price: $745.80
Our price: $434.99, save 41%

I have read on every Maxima site that Tokicos are the way to go. Stillen also recommends Tokico as the preferred brand.I think that if I were really smart, I would pay the $100 extra over the KYB AGX and go with the Tokico Illuminas. (I would not buy the Tokico HP's).

From what I have read Tokico Illumina > KYB AGX > KYB GR2 > Tokico HP > OEM > Monroe

Hmmm. Doesn't Tokico make the OEM?

I'm debating taking the plunge with the H&R Sport springs on GR2's. I know that other people have this set up but it is hard for me to ignore engineers. I know that they know. The springs and shocks/struts should rate-match. I would return my H&R Sports for H&R OE Sports in a heart beat if only there was such a thing for the 95-99 Maxima. I really don't feel like returning my GR2 rear shocks and replacing my front GR2 struts after only 10,000 miles. I will probably wait, get annoyed, and replace them with Illuminas in about 6 months. Sound about right to those who have been there before?

Sorry for the long post, are ya feeling me here?

Don't do what I did. You don't know when the tuning bug is going to hit you. In fact, it's probably already too late. You're here now. It's only a matter of time.

It will start with a simple FSTB. After all, you might as well put it on if you are getting front struts, right? Once you do the fronts, you will want to do the rears. Once you have an FSTB and rear shocks, you will want new springs.Then it will be a K&N drop-in filter. Maybe some clear lenses. What you never noticed how ugly the orange is? You will. You will also notice that your 65's look kind of silly on your lowered Max and you will want to replace them with 45's. Once you decide to get 45's, you'll realize that they'll look much better on 17's or 18's... Which require Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads... and Motul 600 fluid... and some kind of red-type caliper.

Get the adjustables. If you get KYB's set them to 1 or 2. Most will tell you to save up for the Illuminas.

Or you know, do exactly what I did. Get the GR2's because they are better than the HP's and what are the odds of you ever adjusting your struts. It's not like you do track days, right? Lol.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 PM

Sorry for the triple post. I jsut found this link on the web by chance. I blame this guy for my current Maxima fixation:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Maxi...slip-2527.html

I knew who's Max it was before I even saw the name. Curse him and his fixation with saving weight and proliferation on internet search engines. I was perfectly content with my 15% increase in strut rigidity until I stumbled across his car domain page which in turn lead me to this board and on a quest for parts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/341792/1

If only my Max had been a 1998, none of this would have ever happened and I wouldn't be posting here now.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 PM

PerfromancePeddler.com has Tokico Illuminas for $408 shipped.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 PM

An update for what it is worth. As it turns out, my order was held up -- I placed it over a week ago -- and I was able to cancel it! So my rear GR2 shocks are not on the way.

I have decided to eat it on the front struts I bought last year. Sadly, I severely over paid on both parts and labor for the fronts. Live and learn.

I will probably re-order the Illuminas through dr-rjp's suggestion. $408 is a heck of a deal.

dr-rip Have your ordered through http://www.performancepeddler.com/ before?

I've been very happy with http://www.importrp.com/ and would recommend them highly. $408 however is an almost too-good-to-be-true deal.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mayhem King

I've been very happy with http://www.importrp.com/ and would recommend them highly. $408 however is an almost too-good-to-be-true deal.
And sure enough... I think the $408 is for a full set of HP's. Not such a bargain.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow, i was thinking of putting ground control coil overs with tokico blues...what am I in for?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 AM

An update for what it is worth. As it turns out, my order was held up -- I placed it over a week ago -- and I was able to cancel it! So my rear GR2 shocks are not on the way.

I have decided to eat it on the front struts I bought last year. Sadly, I severely over paid on both parts and labor for the fronts. Live and learn.

I will probably re-order the Illuminas through dr-rjp's suggestion. $408 is a heck of a deal.

YEs, I have ordered through PP before. Fast shipping.

UPDATE: PP has the Illumina set for $412 on eBay (2 sets available).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW

They are selling the fronts and rears as separate auctions.

I checked their website and the MAXIMA group price is more expensive than what they are advertising on eBay. I bet, though, if you called them and told them others from the Maxima.org got theirs at $408, they probably would sell you a complete set for $408 or $412 shipped.

BTW, I still have a set of Tein H-Techs for sale, for 1995-99 Maximas/I30s.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:05 AM

I should mention that my order was held up because another item I had ordered with the shocks (rotors) was on backorder. This same rotors are also on backorder or special order with TireRack's 4 shipping centers. The delay was not because of ImportRP and turned out to be a bit of luck for me.

dr-rjp I'll check out the Ebay auction...

Wow. That is a good price. I just need to match the part numbers and make sure that those are the correct fitment for my GLE.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 PM

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...3&cat=0&page=1

$60 more for the Illuminas than for the AGX. Based on the strength of people's feelings on the Illuminas, I'd be pretty silly not to step up a bit. Plus, I'm tired of having this huge box of springs sitting in my living room.