4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch opinion? Mine feels like its going. What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 06:00 AM

I have a 97 5 speed Se with 105,000 miles. Never had brakes or a clutch replaced. Now the clutch has much less travel before it starts to catch. Lets say the total travel of the clutch to the floor is 12 inches. It doesn't catch until about 9 to 10 inches off the floor so its getting kinda abrupt. You have to kinda prod the gas a little to keep it from stalling and have a gentle engagement out of first. Once it catches, it holds.
First gear is the most difficult of course with 2nd and 3rd shifts being a little more neck snapping than before. 4th and 5th feel normal.

Question: What can be done to ease this other than replacing the clutch?

What types of aftermarket clutches do ya'll suggest? I gather that the ACT clutch is favored? What about stillen? What about an Aluminum flywheel?
I have No engine mods so I do't need heavy duty really and would like to keep stock pressure. -it's an everyday driver.

Prices of parts and install? Where to get?

Other comments or suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-25-2001, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by VQ Quick
I have a 97 5 speed Se with 105,000 miles. Never had brakes or a clutch replaced. Now the clutch has much less travel before it starts to catch. Lets say the total travel of the clutch to the floor is 12 inches. It doesn't catch until about 9 to 10 inches off the floor so its getting kinda abrupt. You have to kinda prod the gas a little to keep it from stalling and have a gentle engagement out of first. Once it catches, it holds.
First gear is the most difficult of course with 2nd and 3rd shifts being a little more neck snapping than before. 4th and 5th feel normal.

Question: What can be done to ease this other than replacing the clutch?

What types of aftermarket clutches do ya'll suggest? I gather that the ACT clutch is favored? What about stillen? What about an Aluminum flywheel?
I have No engine mods so I do't need heavy duty really and would like to keep stock pressure. -it's an everyday driver.

Prices of parts and install? Where to get?

Other comments or suggestions. Thanks

First buy your self a repair manual like a Chilton or Haynes.
Then read up on how to adjust pedal tension, I know there is a way to adjust pedal tension but I have never done it. Another possability is your pedal tensioner thingy is in need of replacement. Just get a manual and check it out. I highly recommend a ACT clutch over the Stillen piece{Centerforce}, there is no comparison between the 2, the ACT clutch wins hands down.