4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Maxima performance questions

Hey I just put in the tokico Blue drop kit and I like it, but my max now has a squeaking noise as I turn, it sounds like it's coming from the front right axle. Also I put in a cone air filter and now I could swear that my car feels a little slower off the line. It sounds great though. My friend is a mechanic and we put it in together. He took apart the entire assembly for the regular panel filter and I was wondering if the box for it would be able to hold a the cone filter. It looks like it has a lot of space in it and I noticed that it actually sucks air from outside the engine bay. Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2005, 12:13 PM
I still miss the max

you just wasted your money the best way to do an intake is to keep the box "hack it" (read faqs) and use a midpipe to replace accordian looking rubber tube

as for the squeaking is it at low speeds? it may be that you don't have a pivot bearing/spacer between struts and top of the fender wall
check it out and post back
Maxima Owner

it is slower off the line...go back to stock intake its thebest for our cars.....as far as ur squeaking...check to make sure ur tires arnt rubbing....could be any number of bushings in the control arms as well....

Stock intake is truely the best intake, you lose some low end power with most aftermarket setups. Some have fit cone filters in the box, not sure how good the setup is.

The creaking could be a wheel bearing, or struts/springs not properly seated.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM

The struts seem to be put in properly, so I was wondering about the wheel bearings and the bushings, I have the car in the shop now, so I have to wait until I get it back. I am installing new brakes and rotors all around, so I'll be able to take a good look then. I really didn't know about the intake being slower though. I thought it produced about 5 hp. Or does it push our peak output higher in the rpm range?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 PM

You'll really be lucky to see 2hp come from a intake, our factory intake was engeniered very well no aftermarket intake can do better.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM

I just read that a hybrid intake is very good. I need to replace another portion of the intake tubing, I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on this set up, or tell me about it if they have it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I still miss the max

^^^^ well, my cai is nice i lost a little off the line but i think that i got some more in the midrange and higher end though
just my .02
Old 08-22-2005, 12:32 PM
I still miss the max

use an aluminum midpipe get rid of resonator box and keep stock intake box
i forget who sells the box...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you're referring to replaceing the mid-pipe ,,, then you read the wrong information and were misinformed.... becuase the mid-pipe screws with the curve .. and that's undesireable.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
SLOW

And you guys know that the stock intake is best how exactly? I suppose you've got thirty or so timeslips all averaged - atmospheric conditions accounted for - and/or dyno plots with multiple pulls, also averaged, right?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM

It said I need a new intake resonator, I have the cone and maf in place already, I think I need to replace the intake resonator with a smooth pipe. Can anyone elaborate? it seems similar to my set up, but it seems this set up would restore low end power.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I still miss the max

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
And you guys know that the stock intake is best how exactly? I suppose you've got thirty or so timeslips all averaged - atmospheric conditions accounted for - and/or dyno plots with multiple pulls, also averaged, right?
no i haven't and i bet deezy hasn't either, but i do understand that alot of people have played with these setups and hacked seems to be the best possible solution, i personally don't even have the stock intake i have an e-bay cai. so in conclusion get off our backs cuz we're only trying to help the kid out
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I still miss the max

Originally Posted by McNasty360
It said I need a new intake resonator, I have the cone and maf in place already, I think I need to replace the intake resonator with a smooth pipe. Can anyone elaborate? it seems similar to my set up, but it seems this set up would restore low end power.
the pipe can't be smooth you'll need one with 3 nipples/tubes coming out of it, lemme see if i can find you a link...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Yahhhhhhh

Most people don't have any dynos to prove it. They just go by the feeling. From what I've read: A hacked stock box is favored by most. If you want sound and power go stock. If you want look, sound, and lose a small bit of bottom end, then go with CAI. Cone filter by itself seems to be least favored.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

Fastest cars all have intakes, and also run better times, but I still believe the midpipe screws with the curve, (spikes/nonlinear).

Intakes, IMO certain intakes do help whther shifting the powerband or not, and this is good for since when racing, time spent under 4-4.5k is very minimal.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I still miss the max

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you're referring to replaceing the mid-pipe ,,, then you read the wrong information and were misinformed.... becuase the mid-pipe screws with the curve .. and that's undesireable.
not arguing with you but how is increasing the flow of air to the throttle body undesirable?

here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...94133775QQrdZ1

i reccomend you replace rubber accordian pipe with a pipe like that^^^

it's all up to u

I was reading the stickies I think it is the the tube that has the accordian like ridges on it. I'm not really sure. I really would like to get my low end power back.
99Automagic

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

He's right. Keep the stock mid, stick a cone filter on, and leave the bottom part of the intake with the snorkel. The bottom half of the box will hold the cone in place. Weeeeeeee.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Do you know if there's a way to get that aluminum peice by itself, because I just baught all the other parts.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've had countless different set-ups on my own... have read hundreds of these threads, and have seen a dozen or so dynos ... so I'm speaking from experience when I say the midpipe does weird things.

Zack342(?) proved it on the 3.0, and I prove it on the 3.5L, and adding a mid-pipe adds a very annoying wail when WOT, screws with the curve, and gives minimal peak gains (less than 1whp) so IMO, it's not worth the noise at all.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I still miss the max

someone on here either sells them or has a link to it, thats actually probably cheaper than you will find the pipe by itself, but i may be wrong
Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I still miss the max

i'm still waiting to hear how increasing the air flow of the intake is going to "screw with the curve"
Old 08-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Ok to correct my statement the stock intake is best for the low end, of the line. That is what I was reffereing too but did not type in. When you lose low end from you cai its usually shifted to the mid or more high end power. You basically make a sacarifce with a cai from one end of the power band to another.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:55 PM

does anyone know where I can get this part from? I really wish my friend hadn't taken aprart the regular air filter. I doubt the cover can fit, but I'm sure the cooler air would help minimise the low end power loss. I have an auto, so I really feel the difference. If I can't get my hands on this midpipe is ther anything else I can do besides just going stock.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

Look at my dynos and Zacks ... And anyone else with an aftermarket mid-pipe. Check franken cars website.

Helmholtz type resonators are the main concept in the maximas stock midpipe. What's better, increasing airflow, or reducing turbulence.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Maxima Owner

i had an auto too with a short ram i def felt the low end loss......i have a 5spd now and i would remotely consider a CAI just because i can launch at a higher RPM....but since u have auto i would stick with the stocker and invest in other mods that show greater increases accross the curve
Old 08-22-2005, 01:14 PM
99Automagic

does anyone know where I can get this part from? I really wish my friend hadn't taken aprart the regular air filter. I doubt the cover can fit, but I'm sure the cooler air would help minimise the low end power loss. I have an auto, so I really feel the difference. If I can't get my hands on this midpipe is ther anything else I can do besides just going stock.

I'll sell you my Frankencar mid-pipe for $60 +whatever shipping comes out to be. Comes with 2 silicone couplers and 4 T-clamps. Now I will sell it to you, but ask yourself why I'm selling the damn thing.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
I still miss the max

frankencar is the site you need to check, thats who makes just the midpipe. honestly if i were you i'd just put stocker back on and save up for a y pipe
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM

So why are you selling it? looks like I wasted my money huh
Old 08-22-2005, 01:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Becuase he needs gas money $$
Old 08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I still miss the max

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
I'll sell you my Frankencar mid-pipe for $60 +whatever shipping comes out to be. Comes with 2 silicone couplers and 4 T-clamps. Now I will sell it to you, but ask yourself why I'm selling the damn thing.
he's trying to say it's worthless
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
99Automagic

So why are you selling it? looks like I wasted my money huh
I'm selling it because the stock mid pipe is much better for my car than the Farkencan mid. Especially if you're driving an automatic. I kept the Apexi cone that came with it though. Now my offer still stands, it's your choice what you stick on your car, I still wanna get rid of it, but I really don't want to point you in the wrong direction either. I can do without the $60.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 PM

So this air intake is pretty much useless
Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
99Automagic

Well, it looks nice and sounds good. Maybe it helps some high powered guys, but not if you only have a few mods, it hurts drivability. Especially if you dirve an auto, you should stay the fok away.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by PTownMax
no i haven't and i bet deezy hasn't either, but i do understand that alot of people have played with these setups and hacked seems to be the best possible solution, i personally don't even have the stock intake i have an e-bay cai. so in conclusion get off our backs cuz we're only trying to help the kid out
I could do that, but I've got a better idea...

How about you stop guessing and/or posting what you "heard" until you've got some real data to cite to back said claim up.

Without a TON of empirical data to prove that the stock intake is best, I'd say it's fairly nonsensical for folks to just go around claiming that the stock box is best. Butt-dyno's just don't work.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I could do that, but I've got a better idea...

How about you stop guessing and/or posting what you "heard" until you've got some real data to cite to back said claim up.

Without a TON of empirical data to prove that the stock intake is best, I'd say it's fairly nonsensical for folks to just go around claiming that the stock box is best. Butt-dyno's just don't work.

Neal, not trying to instigate anything here, but you might want to post some of your dyno data for the guys who are naysaying what you are sharing. If you have any hardcore evidence of what you are arguing they would probably be more convinced if you presented it to them. Again, not discounting your argument, just trying to help clear the air.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 PM
SLOW

I understand your point Doc. I don't have any dyno data because I never dyno'd before and after the intake, nor did I claim to. I do however have probably 80-100 timeslips from before and after intake as the only change. I'm not saying these timeslips will yeild any results either way either (though they may, but I haven't analyzed those runs in my timeslip spreadsheet in probably 2 years, and the monitor on that computer is fried so I haven't even started it up in a few months).

My point is that threads like this are EXACTLY how rumors, both true and false, get started. Someone hears something and then tells someone else so then it's a secondhand rumor, who tells it to someone else and it becomes a thirdhand rumor, etc. Before long what a single person posted, which may or may not have any foundation in reality, has become the "general consensus" of the board not because tons of people have tried and made a determination for themselves, but rather because one or a couple people tried something, and everyone else just latched onto the idea and took it as gospel.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here really, but it irks me when people say "wow dude you just wasted your money, you will be faster with the stock airbox" when they really don't have any clue whether or not that is the case.

These two particular runs don't prove anything with regards to this matter, but I can say for a fact my fastest run after installing my intake was faster than my fastest run before installing the intake, even though I was at a track which is about .1s and .75mph slower when I ran with the intake.

But like I said, please don't take these data as gospel. They are just two runs (albeit two runs out of a good many runs) that illustrate the exact opposite of what half the people in this thread are claiming as truth.

My personal opinion? I don't believe that intakes do a whole helluvalot, but I do believe they help a little bit. I suspect that if one compiled all the data ever recorded on the subject they would find a small gain with intakes as opposed to no intake. I'm talking about quantifiable data here by the way (dynos and timeslips mostly), not subjective things such as "weaker off the line" and "driveability".
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by PTownMax
you just wasted your money the best way to do an intake is to keep the box "hack it" (read faqs) and use a midpipe to replace accordian looking rubber tube

as for the squeaking is it at low speeds? it may be that you don't have a pivot bearing/spacer between struts and top of the fender wall
check it out and post back
Yeah, you're dumb. He wasted his money on the intake and you wasted his time by posting that crap. Plus you have OBX headers, how can anyone take youseriously when talking about wasting money when you have OBX header? Yes the stock air box is he great, but so is the stock resonator. By replacing it with a mid-pipe you're just ****ing it up.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
99Automagic

I'm just conveying what I have noticed between an after market intake and the stock, in MY car. I am not the only automatic that noticed the "lag" when you hit the gas running with a AF mid-pipe. I grew to hate that affect, regardless of the supposed gains I was getting with the Farkencan. When I say "driveability", I am talking about everyday driving around town, which is what we do with our cars most of the time. I personally gave up the few horses (if there is any) to have a better feeling car. With this subject, I believe there were alot of people that switched back to see the effect, since it is simple to do and most people have the stock parts sitting in a garage somewhere. More than a few have tested the theory and experienced for themselves, what the diff is. To say that everyone here is just passing along a rumor is false. They are just voicing their opinions. I agree that saying it's a "waste of money" is pretty irresponsible, but that was again, a person's opinion, and I can't knock that.

Quick Reply: Maxima performance questions