4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Prolly the worst brakes ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Prolly the worst brakes ever

Testing out my brakes in the somewhat new max and have come to the conclusion that they are the worst equipped stock brakes i've had on any car. Its as if they didnt even factor in the weight or performance level of the maxima before designing the brake sys. Immediately considering cross drill/slott rotors + solid pads as not to be re-doing the brakes all of the time. From what i've heard, i'm not alone here. Thinkin Brembo roto and some hawk pads? let me know what you experienced guys think.........
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Cosmo459sx
Testing out my brakes in the somewhat new max and have come to the conclusion that they are the worst equipped stock brakes i've had on any car. Its as if they didnt even factor in the weight or performance level of the maxima before designing the brake sys. Immediately considering cross drill/slott rotors + solid pads as not to be re-doing the brakes all of the time. From what i've heard, i'm not alone here. Thinkin Brembo roto and some hawk pads? let me know what you experienced guys think.........

Don't waste your money on the blingy x-drilled and slotted rotors, they won't help you stop any better. If your car needs new rotors just get some regular rotors, either replacement ones from autozone or if you are feeling rich go to nissan and get some OEM rotors. Get some good pads though. I've always been a fan of hawks, I'd suggest HPS for strictly street use.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM

I have a set of Hawks and I will tell you that it did make a huge difference over stock. But the best thing that improved my stopping ability was the changing of the tires, if only I had abs.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Better brakes.....

If you got the money and don't mind burning it: 4 piston big brake kit. I know that they are hella expensive, but if money is no object and you have to stop the quickest......

just my thoughts....

On the low end, maybe get some porterfield pads, Motul 4 brake flud, SS-brake lines, and cross drilled/ slotted rotors.

Sppedbleeders as well. I just got done bleeding my brakes this afternoon. Saved me a bunch of time and the pedal feel is rock solid now with crystal clear fluid. YEAH!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:16 PM

interesting comments, i have felt the diff before with better pads, but have heard that the drilled/slott'd rotors last forever and work better. As far as the Big Brake kit, money is always an object to me, but a good suggestion though. Maybe I'll try the Auto Zone rotors and some hawk pads to go with the tranny cooler i'm gonna buy there. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Peace.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Team Ramrod

I just got OEM pads and rotors and they're fine.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Porterfield street pads and Brembo front and rear cross-drilles and slotted rotors. They are a huge improvement over stock. I would know too because i drive my sister's stock 4th gen as a comparison. I highly recommend Porterfield.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Pro Satisfied are the makers of the OEM pads right? I was looking on tirerack.com and it SAYS they are....Also who makes the OEM rotors? tirerack.com has brembos as their cheapest rotors (which absolutely shocked me, being a brake newbie).

Your max must be WEIRD! I've always thought the max as having its brakes as TOO powerful. I just rest my foot on the brake and i can go from 30-0 in about 7ft. No exaggerating. If i hit it hard, prolly under 5 or 6 ft. This is with pads and rotors that havent been changed for thousands of miles...i know its dangerous but i blame my dad cause he's a cheap bastage, so i'm taking charge myself.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

could be worse, you could have a chrysler or GM w/ ****ty OE brakes, IMO Nissan brakes hold up quite well. I had a '98 Altima once, broke hard and drove thru stop 'n go and didn't have to change the front pads 'til 47K
Old 08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Satisfied Pro pads are pretty hit-and-miss. Definitely better than stock, but I had some and they didn't last too long and treated my rotors badly. Some like them, some don't.

The reason people say slotted/drilled rotors last longer is that they catch grime/dirt/buildup that gets on the rotors, instead of letting it get squeezed under the pads and chew the rotors to bits. That happened to me with my Brembo blanks, probably just because of my daily commute -- there's this one patch of parking lot that ALWAYS has fine gritty stuff all over, and it always gets picked up and tossed around. Switched to slotted rotors and haven't had the problem since.

But yeah, they don't actually help you stop better. Plus, once you factor in the huge price difference between blanks and slotted rotors, you might feel better with getting the cheapest blanks you can find and just replacing them more often.

Here are a couple of tips, to help the selection process:
- Slots are better than holes because they catch dirt better and don't force you to give up a lot of surface area.
- PBR/Axxis Ultimates are really really good pads. Probably the best possible total package of low dust and noise with great stopping power and fade resistance at a good price. In my experience, they sure kick the crap out of EBC Greenstuff and Satisfied Pro in all respects, and those are MUCH better than stock. From what I hear, Hawk HPS will stop better and fade less for the same price as the Ultimates, but will also make a little more noise and dust; Porterfield R4-S has the stopping power and fade resistance of the Hawks (if not more) with the civility of the Ultimates, but for twice the price.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Satisfied Pro pads are pretty hit-and-miss. Definitely better than stock, but I had some and they didn't last too long and treated my rotors badly. Some like them, some don't.

The reason people say slotted/drilled rotors last longer is that they catch grime/dirt/buildup that gets on the rotors, instead of letting it get squeezed under the pads and chew the rotors to bits. That happened to me with my Brembo blanks, probably just because of my daily commute -- there's this one patch of parking lot that ALWAYS has fine gritty stuff all over, and it always gets picked up and tossed around. Switched to slotted rotors and haven't had the problem since.

But yeah, they don't actually help you stop better. Plus, once you factor in the huge price difference between blanks and slotted rotors, you might feel better with getting the cheapest blanks you can find and just replacing them more often.

Here are a couple of tips, to help the selection process:
- Slots are better than holes because they catch dirt better and don't force you to give up a lot of surface area.
- PBR/Axxis Ultimates are really really good pads. Probably the best possible total package of low dust and noise with great stopping power and fade resistance at a good price. In my experience, they sure kick the crap out of EBC Greenstuff and Satisfied Pro in all respects, and those are MUCH better than stock. From what I hear, Hawk HPS will stop better and fade less for the same price as the Ultimates, but will also make a little more noise and dust; Porterfield R4-S has the stopping power and fade resistance of the Hawks (if not more) with the civility of the Ultimates, but for twice the price.
Good post.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:49 PM

i got pbr metal masters in the waiting. gonna run down my stock a bit more b4 changing the front (rotors/pads). i am gonna go checkers or whatever rotors and just use metal masters. i can't stand my car squeeking..
Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 PM

squeaky BRAKES

hi all! i just installed some Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic Pads and resurfaced my rotors. My brakes squeak and scream freakin loud! It is esp. loud on hot days. My old brakes squeaked a lot as well. Any solutions to quiet them down?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
- PBR/Axxis Ultimates are really really good pads. Probably the best possible total package of low dust and noise with great stopping power and fade resistance at a good price.
i don't know what experience you have with Axxis Ultimates, but they are NOT low dust. my silver wheels look gunmetal after two weeks of daily driving.

they are great pads, but if you don't like cleaning your wheels every week, don't get them.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

These on the Z caliper Casey?

Originally Posted by global_threat
i don't know what experience you have with Axxis Ultimates, but they are NOT low dust. my silver wheels look gunmetal after two weeks of daily driving.

they are great pads, but if you don't like cleaning your wheels every week, don't get them.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

BTW. The maxima is the largest car that Nissan uses that uses the single piston caliper and small arsed 11.x" rotors. So unless your brakes are on good working order, they might feel like that they lacking in peformance.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
SLOW

I've got Axxis Ultimates (not by choice) on my turbo car... they are NOT enough pad for me. They are superior to any oem/autozone BS setup, but they are not up to par with other pads. I will be removing them soon and putting them on my beater, and HPS or HP+ will be going on the turbo car.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
BTW. The maxima is the largest car that Nissan uses that uses the single piston caliper and small arsed 11.x" rotors. So unless your brakes are on good working order, they might feel like that they lacking in peformance.

Makes perfect sense.

As far as the debate between the slotted/drilled rotors vs oe, new info to me.I thought that the slotted/drilled dissipated heat better as well?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Maxima Owner

my oem stuff holds up great an i am an avid auto-xer....i feel they stop good....but there is always room for improvement....i wouldnt say that they are horrible by any means
Old 08-29-2005, 06:47 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Cosmo459sx
Makes perfect sense.

As far as the debate between the slotted/drilled rotors vs oe, new info to me.I thought that the slotted/drilled dissipated heat better as well?

The only differences you will notice are faster pad wear, more brake dust, and more noise. Seriously, drop the slotted/drilled rotor idea.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help me

I hate to hijack a thread, but i can't post a new one. I'm in the middle of changing my brake pads and can't get the piston to depress with the a c clamp can anyone give me any advice or point me to a step by step
Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

read this:
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801f5965.jsp

Then put this autozone link into your favorites and refer to it frequently.

Originally Posted by Danjr
I hate to hijack a thread, but i can't post a new one. I'm in the middle of changing my brake pads and can't get the piston to depress with the a c clamp can anyone give me any advice or point me to a step by step
Old 08-30-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Danjr
Rear or front brakes? Don't try to use a c-clamp on your rear calipers!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by tomservo291
Rear or front brakes? Don't try to use a c-clamp on your rear calipers!
Would be nice if you told him why and how to..

The rear calipers compress by turning them clockwise while applying pressure to them. There is a tool specifically designed to do this which you could probably rent from your local auto parts store.