4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting=CRAP...??????????? Done too much, and still not fixed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

holy crap.. what is going on with these cars...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM

bump... we need to get some more info on here...
I've done pretty much everything I think i can, except replace the ignition switch...
But the car turns over fine, I don't think it has anything to do with that, but i'm gonna replace either way...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daily Interlude
OK, I just tested my "Start Signal" fuse. It shows normal voltage, but only when I have the key turned half way. If I turn the key all the way to where the engine turns over, the voltage goes away. Seems that it is an ignition problem...
If you turn the key to where the car cranks, the start signal fuse should be lit at this point. Sounds like you have an ignition switch problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:23 PM

Daily Interlude:
I am having the same problem with that as well.. I am going to be replacing my ignition switch tomorrow afternoon, so I will report back then.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
bump... we need to get some more info on here...
I've done pretty much everything I think i can, except replace the ignition switch...
But the car turns over fine, I don't think it has anything to do with that, but i'm gonna replace either way...

Huh? It's fine now?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 PM

turns over.... not crank... I wish...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:32 PM
blah

my starting problems continue

I just replaced my starter with a used one (saturday) and I've had two slightly ruff starts. They both happened when car was hot and off for a short amount of time (less than 5 min). When my old starter died I check the start signal and it was getting 12 volts so I'm assuming my ignition switch is fine. Could it be the coolant temp sensor?

I already replaced the camshaft position sensor which I got a CEL/SES for about 3 months ago.

I think I'm gonna go back to the old school manual crank this is getting annoying
Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 AM
UCF Lexus

FUKCING A! I got a new ig. switch at Nissan today, put it in like in 10 minutes like Matt said......

And it did absolutely nothing...time to take it back and get my fitty dollas
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM

holy freakin crap............
this is rediculous.. I know we're gonna solve this, but damn, what else can it be
Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you guys said you did a tranny swap before all this started to happen...

Well ill take another stab at it. Did you check the switch that that clutch pedal hits as you push the clutch in before you go starting the car ?? did you check your injectors ??

I can think of a few more things

-matt
Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 AM

Well, I was thinking about that.. but if that switch wasn't engaging, the car wouldn't even turn over...
The car runs perfect once its cranked, so that eliminates the injectors..
How would I check that switch just incase though???
Thanks Matt!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:01 PM

Well, I was thinking about that.. but if that switch wasn't engaging, the car wouldn't even turn over...
The car runs perfect once its cranked, so that eliminates the injectors..
How would I check that switch just incase though???
Thanks Matt!
Doesnt your 96 only have about 50K miles on it ?? How can you be having these problems...it gotta be something your missing.

-matt
Old 08-31-2005, 12:45 PM

check all poer cables !!! i know somebody mentioned ground cables, there should be one at the top of the trans. near the cyl head on the right. check the pos. cables especially at the starter. if not, check batt terminals for corrosion.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Yeah thats what I feel man... My first maxima had 165K miles, didn't give me any problems with the transmission or any crap like that..
I put a brand new OEM starter today, and it fixed the problem from what I can tell.
It doesnt crank like it used to ( I think), it takes about 2-3 seconds to start, no backfiring, sputtering, or anything like that...
The advanced auto starter has 10 teeth, and the nissan one has 11. On the diagnostic, the readings were jumping inbetween 90 and over 350... it needs 180 for the CPS to get a correct reading...
So a failing starter, or one that is not oem, or has 11 teeth to OEM spec, won't work.
So... PROBLEM SOLVED.... I hope... hopefully it won't come back.. we'll see..
Now, time to put this fuel filter in, change my oil, and go to the bank to settle up so I can finish paying for this supercharger
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 PM

I re-did all the ground cables, as well as the one you're speaking of, i'm going to poke around everything else to make sure everything is up to par, just so that this problem doesn't re-occur, or something else...
time to do a major tune up to this car...got get it right for the SC
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Maximoneypit

glad its starting to work for you mike - i saw joel today (we cant wait to see your 300+ whp beast all put together soon)
Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM

I can't either, man!
I'm going into the bank tomorrow to settle up so I can pay him for the rest of it, and he's taking it off this weekend... so next weekend looks like it'll be the day of doom.. or doom day... or d-day.... whatever works for you
Did Joel give you a ride since he's put that new chip in? It's crazy fast with all the mods he has now..... Gimme a call this weekend sometime, man! Take care..

Matty- I just noticed that your car is the exact same color as mine... and your rims are exactly the style that I want... heck, your car is a replica is what I want mine to be in a few months.... I'm jealous.. looks GREAT man!
-Mike
Old 08-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by matty
Well ill take another stab at it. Did you check the switch that that clutch pedal hits as you push the clutch in before you go starting the car ?? did you check your injectors ??
The clutch switch is the last thing on my list to replace. I couldn't find it in my last parts search but maybe I looked in the wrong section. Anyone know what this switch is called officially? To me, the starting hiccups really seems like an electrical problem--I think if the starter would give a solid, uninterupted go at it, I think it would start every time. Seems like after a second, an electrical start signal is patchy. The fact that it is not all the time makes me thing a switch or something is bowing out slowly.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM

I definitely agree with you on that one... report back once you get that figured out!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by matty
you guys said you did a tranny swap before all this started to happen...

I can think of a few more things

-matt

I did a clutch swap - then it came.

That clutch sensor is fine on my car. Ive ran injector cleaner 2x already, but havent done anything else to them. Ive replaced the starter twice, ignition switch, ground cable, plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, cam position sensor, oil.....

ONLY 3 things I THINK it could be are;
1) clutch pressure/adjustment is too weak
2) My EGR tube may be clogged? (egr flow malfunction code po400?)
3) my MAF has a small crack on the FURTHEST side away from TB on the flange.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:53 PM

sweeeet man... Hopefully you'll get it figured out... I'll help out as much as I can if you have any questions...
Are you using an OEM starter???
Goodluck!
-Mike
PS: New pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/473717
Old 08-31-2005, 04:00 PM

Matty- How do you make your sig pics small like that??? I want to use my cardomain pics but not the big size.....
Old 08-31-2005, 04:03 PM

Matty- How do you make your sig pics small like that??? I want to use my cardomain pics but not the big size.....
Get the properties of the pic as it is on your page...Dont "click" on it and take those properities

-matt
Old 08-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

clutch switch

Well I took out the clutch switch. It tested out fine...no uneven signal when it is depressed. I cleaned the contacts so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Also, make sure you guys are starting the car in neutal. Potentially, if the clutch is not fully disengaged, it may be having trouble starting because of too great a load from being partially in gear.

Strangely, I think my starting woes also started after a tranny swap/clutch job that I did. I am pretty sure everything was put back together correctly. Right now, problem is not getting worse or better...but is still there 30-40% of the time.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:49 PM

man...
this is strange...
Matt- I try to do that on cardomain, and it just ends up being large... i'll try again I guess... maybe i'm just bein a computer tard..
Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 PM

ok im not bein a tard... well.. I was... but I figured it out.
Did I mention I hate macs??

Ok, so we have three guys, that did a tranny swap, and we all have the same problem. So theres not much that it can be... What all is around/on the tranny that involves starting besides the starter... agh.....
Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 PM

bump bump bump
Old 09-01-2005, 05:36 AM
UCF Lexus

starter / slave cyl / ground /

hmmmmm
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Ehh?? Did that fix your problem??
As for me, it still takes longer than it used to start, and this morning it tried to catch, turned over for another second, then cranked... So there is still a small problem for me....
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM

I don't think it's related to your tranny swap. I've got an automatic, original tranny, and I'm having the same problem as you guys.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:17 PM

Well, considering we all have the same problems that occured after a tranny swap says something.. We're not implying that it's because of the actual swap, but it could be something involving the transmission... maybe something was going bad, and moving everything around made it break....
Old 09-06-2005, 11:22 AM

BUMP...
I still have close to the same problem when its cold, and still sometimes when its warm....
It's not as bad as it was most of the time though.....
Bijan-any updates on your side?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My fiance's maxima has the same problems. (95, original motor and original auto trans, 156xxx miles) A few months ago she was getting terrible mileage and the car would stall. I replaced the fuel filter and the o2 sensor that the scanner pulled the code for. Helped dramatically with the mileage and no more stalling. It now starts rough. i.e. Crank once, it starts, dies then crnak again and it's good for the drive. Once it runs, it's fine, plenty of power, responce, etc.. This would rule out the knock sensor correct? It is better when it's a warm start. I'm thinking cam position sensor, crank position sensor, or ignition switch. Does that sound about right? I am a Ford and Chevy guy, so while it's all similar, this foreign stuff is different. This one is showing no CEL, other than the blinking airbag light.

Am I on the right track
Old 09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Mariasride
It is better when it's a warm start. I'm thinking cam position sensor, crank position sensor, or ignition switch. Does that sound about right? I am a Ford and Chevy guy, so while it's all similar, this foreign stuff is different. This one is showing no CEL, other than the blinking airbag light.

Am I on the right track
Could be the engine coolant temp sensor.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can't stand this ish anymore. its been almost 3 weeks now and still can't get this bish to start right. . i changed the crank position sensor (ref)and(pos) ,and the camshaft position sensor, i just got the engine coolant temp sensor in today so that will be next. i also just started having this problem when i got the tranny installed with the wheel bearings.i have'nt checked the ground wire on the tranny yet so that will be next to. i noticed the fuel line has a crimp in it so will get a new longer hose to get the fuel flowing smoothly cause i notice it starts easier when i'm cranking it and stepping on the gas pedal alittle.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced that when I did the fuel filter, and o2 sensor. It's not throwing any codes, but still won't start right. Once this thing starts, it runs fine.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM

yeah once mines starts it runs great but once i cut it off and try to restart it crrraaaannnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,crrrrrraaaannnnnkkkkkk k, add alittle gas to the pedal and crrannkkk vrrroommmm along with the smoke from the fuel
Old 09-07-2005, 11:30 AM

Check the timming chain, if it advaced it will have a hard time starting up. I had the same problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it possible to check the timing on these?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

how does the timing just become advance or retarded? I never understood how the timing could become screwed up from the initial setting.

Quick Reply: Starting=CRAP...??????????? Done too much, and still not fixed..