4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Something doesn't sound right...(transmission maybe?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Brain phuck

Something doesn't sound right...(transmission maybe?)

Ok. I got my clutch on like 3 weeks ago and was told it needs a 500 mile break in. When I first drove it with the new clutch+flywheel I noticed a very faint 'whirring' noise. Kinda like how hydrolic lines sound when the fluid is moving around inside. I brushed it off thinking it was just the new clutch and it would go away. Well it didn't, in fact it has gotten worse. It doesn't do it all the time but about 70-80% of the time. It does it only when the car is moving. And it doesn't matter if its in gear or not. Although when I let off the gas while its in gear it gets a little quieter and when I give it gas it gets louder. I noticed 2 days ago that when I wiggle the shifter while its moving (again, in gear or not) the whirring noise pulsates as I wiggle it. So I think it has to do with the trans? Not sure. Anyone experience this? Car is 97 max se 5spd with 96k on it. Clutch /flywheel were put on approx 1500 miles ago.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the level and/or change your transmission fluid. If that doesn't help it much you probably have a bearing on it's way out.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Brain phuck

So.. If its a bearing taking a $hit, how long before I start looking for a new transmission?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by smotz
So.. If its a bearing taking a $hit, how long before I start looking for a new transmission?
Either rebuild yours or find one to rebuild.
Couldn't tell you how long it's going to last, could be quite a while. If the noise gets worse, start looking at your options.

I'd never put a used tranny in a car without a complete tare down and rebuild.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 PM

Some of the noises you are hearing (like the whinning/whirring) I hear with mine, and it is definately going out the door, but I hear the noise even better when driving by a close building with the windows down (can hear the echo).

Mainly when I let out of a gear the noises goes, its a bit concerning that you can hear it even when in neurtral. WHere did you get the work done and is there any type of warantee?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Brain phuck

I got the clutch/flywheel put on at brass castle import salvage. I know it sounds bad its a junk yard, but they put a service dept in a building next to it and its run by like the same dudes or something.
I am going to go there tomorrow and complain/ask about it and see what they say. I was just trying to get some info tonite so when I go there I know if they try to bull$hit me or not. Could it be they didn't put the tranny back on properly and it is starting to chew up?

" its a bit concerning that you can hear it even when in neurtral."
Yea man. When the car is moving I put it in neutral and wiggle the shifter back and forth and it pulsates pretty loud. It's very noticible when the radio is off. The whirring almost sounds like air being sucked in a tube like a vacuum hose but minus the sound of the vacuum motor. And when it pulsates when I wiggel the shifter its as if you are quickly covering the vacuum opening with your hand and taking it off again. Bah I hate trying to describe this noise and the thought of my tranny starting to go is really pissing me off...