4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel Balancing: Why can't these guys get it right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After 2 wheel balances in the last month I am still feeling vibration in my steering wheel. Just before I rotoated my tires, things were smooth as silk. I am going to take it back to the place that just balance them last week. Should I just have the dealer do it?
I am aggrivated and really don't even feel like driving my car now.
Old 05-27-2001, 07:32 AM

Unfortunately many tire stores still haven't upgraded their equipment to get the sort of balancing results needed by modern vehicles that takes into account slight out of roundness of the tire mounted on the wheel, very likely your problem. Look for a shop that uses a "road force" type balancer like this Hunter unit: http://www.gsp9700.com/
You can look for a shop in your area that has one on Hunters site.
It's also possible that you have a tire with a slipped belt, and having moved it from the back axle to the front, is now noticable.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:31 PM

Yes, Hunter !

Most of the guys balancing wheels are 17 year olds who got an hour of training. They don't even know how to properly calibrate the machine for different wheel types. The machines are beat from balancing several hundred wheels a day. Take a look at the cone that they spin down onto your wheel: it's so beat up that it doesn't have chance of actually getting your wheel centered.

Find someone with a Hunter machine. They can actually rate your tires and wheels for roundness and let you know if something is out.

Bob
Old 05-27-2001, 02:48 PM

In that case I should take it to the dealer then? I do still have my receipt from my last tire balancing act but should I just take it to the dealer. The guys there do know what they are doing.
Old 05-27-2001, 03:29 PM

After My last tire replacement it took visits to 5 shops before the wheels were correctly balanced. None of the tire shops I tried could get it right. You can not have a part timer (ala 17yr old with 1 hr on the job) do it.
I finally got it done at a gas station across from my office. The owner did it, nothing exotic, just needed someone with experience to take the time to get it right.

also be carefull, the shop that mounted my tires overtorqued the wheels and warped my front rotors. Ask that the wheels be hand torqued in the correct pattern.

good luck and stick with it!
Old 05-27-2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by JohnnyMax
After My last tire replacement it took visits to 5 shops before the wheels were correctly balanced. None of the tire shops I tried could get it right. You can not have a part timer (ala 17yr old with 1 hr on the job) do it.
I finally got it done at a gas station across from my office. The owner did it, nothing exotic, just needed someone with experience to take the time to get it right.

also be carefull, the shop that mounted my tires overtorqued the wheels and warped my front rotors. Ask that the wheels be hand torqued in the correct pattern.

good luck and stick with it!
Thanks. I am about to replace a broken stud bacause of the power wrenche they used. Some of these guys think they are on the NASCAR circuit.