4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Traction control

I have 1999 GLE w/ ABS. How can I check if I have traction control or not? If I don't, is there anyway I can install something like that for my car? Sorry if this question is too basic/immature
Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have it there should be a switch to turn it on and off, if not you don't have it.

I think the install would be pretty difficult, however it does utilize the abs system to determine wheel spin so part of the system is already there.

Honestly I have TC and I really don't like it, especially at the track because I have to keep turning it off to do a burn out and launch.

However for winter driving with limited traction it could be a benefit, I just prefer to control the traction myself.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 PM

I think all 99's with ABS came with TCS. To check the TCS switch will be to the right of the steering wheel next to the dimmer switch for the interior lights. Every time you start the car the TCS system is on. If you want to turn it off then you must press the TCS switch.

If you race then it will be a pain but for everyday driving its no problem. One of the reasons I chose my 99 was the TCS system. I found it a HUGE help gaining traction in the snow. Of course decent snow tires help more, but I definitely appreciate the added help of my system. It kept me from getting stuck a few times last winter, especially cause my town's snow plowing budget was used up by the new year leaving an icy mess of ruts everywhere.

I've never heard of anybody adding it in aftermarket.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Traction Control can be a big PITA IMHO. There are times when slipping the tires is necessary like taking off from a snowy intersection.,
Old 09-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
I think all 99's with ABS came with TCS. To check the TCS switch will be to the right of the steering wheel next to the dimmer switch for the interior lights. Every time you start the car the TCS system is on. If you want to turn it off then you must press the TCS switch.

If you race then it will be a pain but for everyday driving its no problem. One of the reasons I chose my 99 was the TCS system. I found it a HUGE help gaining traction in the snow. Of course decent snow tires help more, but I definitely appreciate the added help of my system. It kept me from getting stuck a few times last winter, especially cause my town's snow plowing budget was used up by the new year leaving an icy mess of ruts everywhere.

I've never heard of anybody adding it in aftermarket.
I do not have the switch! there is just a blank template next to the dimmer switch! Oh well...I'm just gonna try to get a VLSD tranny instead. But it makes sense that all 99 maximas came with TCS because this year's line ups were the slowest
Old 09-07-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by crxrocks
Traction Control can be a big PITA IMHO. There are times when slipping the tires is necessary like taking off from a snowy intersection.,
Really? This is when I find it helps me the most. I have LSD though so I guess that kicks in too and helps.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 PM

Ya my last car had TCS but the pain is when driving in the snow, you pretty much HAVE to turn it off. Because sometimes you just need to spin your wheels enough to get out. Besides TCS only retards the spark firing rate or something so you get less power. If you want to do that, just don't press the gas pedal as hard.