4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help I'm Really Worried About This Noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 AM

Help I'm Really Worried About This Noise!!!!

My MAX has a rattling noise, so I figure it's the guide tensioner but with all the talk about the new guide tensioners not fitting through the access panel i've been trying to find out if an aftermarket guide tensioner would fit through it so I could change it myself to no luck, but when I turned on my car this afternoon it had a REALLY loud rattle noise followed by SCREECHING sounds! sounds like the chain is grinding on something. Is it past replacing the guide tensioner now, and would I need to consult a professional mechanic to get the problem fixed? If so where could I take it, because I can't afford the estimated 800 dollars quoted for changing the tensioner at the dealership. Is there anyplace where I could take it where I could set up somesort of payment plan or something?

-Dexter
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 PM

I called the dealership and they told me that the rattle could be caused by the guide (not guide tensioner), and they say that what Nissan advises is to pull out the plastic guide and leave it without one (i forgot the word he used, it starts with an A). I'm no professional mechanic but does this sound like a logical solution to anyone?!

Dexter
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Screeching is probably just the belts...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Screeching is probably just the belts...
My first thought was that but it sounds like metal grinding, I've been unwillingly putting off the tensioner (can't find 1 that fits through the panel ) thing for 3 weeks now and I'm starting to fear the worse

-Dexter
Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM

i'm gonna change the belts to see if it's that.

-Dexter
Old 09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Do I get a tax break?

You can also just get some belt dressing and see if that cures the problem temporarily.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 AM

You can also just get some belt dressing and see if that cures the problem temporarily.
yeah but I'd forget to change it if I do.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 AM

What is a guide tensioner? I know that my car has a screeching sound, but that happens because my belt tensioner is bad...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 AM

I have the same rattling sound. Its the tensioner thats on top of the motor in front. Its a bolt that you can access very easily from the top. I think it tensions the AC Compressor and the Alternator belt.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
I have the same rattling sound. Its the tensioner thats on top of the motor in front. Its a bolt that you can access very easily from the top. I think it tensions the AC Compressor and the Alternator belt.
The rattle is probably the timing chain - which will not be fixed by adjusting the tensioner you are talking about... or maybe I misunderstood ... if the belt is screeching, tightening it using the tensioner adjustment for the idler pulley may solve the problem (if the screeching is because of a loose rather than worn belt).
Old 09-09-2005, 07:50 AM

The rattle is probably the timing chain - which will not be fixed by adjusting the tensioner you are talking about... or maybe I misunderstood ... if the belt is screeching, tightening it using the tensioner adjustment for the idler pulley may solve the problem (if the screeching is because of a loose rather than worn belt).
so is it impossible for the screeching to be coming from the timing chain?

-Dexter
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM

The timing belt wouldnt screech because we dont have a timing belt!

I think he's talking about the accessory belt. The alternator - compressor belt. I might be wrong. But this belt tensioner rattles when I hit the gas on my car.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I think he's talking about the accessory belt. The alternator - compressor belt. I might be wrong. But this belt tensioner rattles when I hit the gas on my car.
Ok we are on the same page... Your rattling comment was on the tensioner rattling... I've never heard of that happening... the only rattles I've heard (metallic), in that area of the engine bay, are from the timing chain itself. The timing chain rattle is from a bad timing chain tensioner.

The screech, as I had suggested originally, is probably just a loose accessory belt.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM

ok but is the screeching coming from the belts of from the chain? since I they're too close together to tell where it comes from.

-Dexter
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter
ok but is the screeching coming from the belts of from the chain? since I they're too close together to tell where it comes from.

-Dexter
changed belts screech is still there i'm taking it to a mechanic :'(

-Dex