4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what are the best mods to make an auto faster

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM

yeah what is bullet proof tranny.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
yeh u can. just let off the gas before the tranny shifts or heck, shift it from 1,2, DRIVEEE
tried that before, the car violent jerks when shifting 1,2,drive and it gets stuck in a gear, i had to turn off the car and restart it to fix it, but automatic owns anyway, can manuals eat, change the radio and still scratch their *** at the same time and stay on the road? i think not!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM

That was funny!!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by aprentice
tried that before, the car violent jerks when shifting 1,2,drive and it gets stuck in a gear, i had to turn off the car and restart it to fix it, but automatic owns anyway, can manuals eat, change the radio and still scratch their *** at the same time and stay on the road? i think not!
my friend in the philippines does...well tried...now he owns some kinda bike.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 AM

So what's .a bullet proof tranny?
And udp?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chillin014
And udp?
A bullet proof tranny is just an expression for a tranny that has been built for heavy duty usage. It can tolerate more abuse.

A UDP is an underdrive pulley..........it has been shown to have no gains that are worth spending your time and money on (at least not for a street vehicle)
Old 09-16-2005, 07:03 AM

Well how do you build up the tranny? Udp sounds a little lame
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

uhhh.. I can... it's called paying attention to the road....
And for our cars you get more power to the ground with a 5 speed... For HIGH HP cars, an auto is better... true... but for a Maxima that's not FI'd with alot of boost.... Just learn how to drive, and 5 speed owns autotrajics....

Also, whoever said autos dont get that "PSSTT"" sound with blow off vavles on their FI'd car... .... thats stupid.... dont say stuff when ya dont know what you're talkin about..
Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 PM

Well how do you build up the tranny? Udp sounds a little lame

Take it to somebody who knows.
Basically a rebuild with specialized components. Christ kid, do some research,
am I you friggin secratary?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96

Also, whoever said autos dont get that "PSSTT"" sound with blow off vavles on their FI'd car... .... thats stupid.... dont say stuff when ya dont know what you're talkin about..

ewuzh, your ricer-boy *** can do one of two things:
1. go watch the fast and furry for the 60th time, or
2. buy one of the little gay "Vroooom, PSSSST!!!" fake units off ebay to compliment you muffler turbo whistle
Old 09-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by sonicrunch
Take it to somebody who knows.
Basically a rebuild with specialized components. Christ kid, do some research,
am I you friggin secratary?
chill awt, no you is not my "secratary".
Gotta ask to learn mayn. I don't like taking my car to other people.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 PM

ask to learn?
you a more likley to retain the information if you look it up youself.

I don't like taking my car to other people either. Unless you know them on a personal
level, they're gonna be a hack to your car.
Luckily I know a few.
But I have a max, it doesn't break.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:12 PM

lol.. making a bullet proof tranny doesn't seem too logical unless you blow your tranny. because i mean either way you have to do a overhaul on it. So if you even consider doing a bullet proof tranny you should just wait till you blow your tranny. well aleast have some fun with it since your going to trash the internals of your tranny anyways.

UDP.. very very argue-able. overall dynos prove that you gain nothing. Well some show some gain. less then 5 hp but that can be due to many things. SAE corrects. air temps. how your car is running. no 2 runs are the same even if they are back to back.

i still say get your VI or get boosted SC.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
lol.. making a bullet proof tranny doesn't seem too logical unless you blow your tranny. because i mean either way you have to do a overhaul on it. So if you even consider doing a bullet proof tranny you should just wait till you blow your tranny. well aleast have some fun with it since your going to trash the internals of your tranny anyways.

UDP.. very very argue-able. overall dynos prove that you gain nothing. Well some show some gain. less then 5 hp but that can be due to many things. SAE corrects. air temps. how your car is running. no 2 runs are the same even if they are back to back.

i still say get your VI or get boosted SC.
yeah i cant seem to find a how to on the 00vi.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by brad kay
if you have the money just force yourself into the best of both worlds. Spray some nitrous, or go FI.. and then when you're auto tranny breaks.. which might not take too long.. you'll have the excuse to go manual.
Oh really? the tranny won't last long, I'm sorry my tranny has 170,000 Miles and I sprayed about over 40 times, when I first got it almost four years ago, very stupid I admit but N slammed it about 5 times. Tranny still STRONG! Maybe its because When I spray I use whats called a Drop RES mod... Wired to a switch. The truth here is the 5 spd is what breaks when using spray or modded!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Timz96SE
Oh really? the tranny won't last long, I'm sorry my tranny has 170,000 Miles and I sprayed about over 40 times, when I first got it almost four years ago, very stupid I admit but N slammed it about 5 times. Tranny still STRONG! Maybe its because When I spray I use whats called a Drop RES mod... Wired to a switch. The truth here is the 5 spd is what breaks when using spray or modded!

Wow, this site has really really changed over the past year and a half since i've rid of my maxima. Heres what it boils down to kids, the auto is better for consistency, reliability, and handling more power over the 5MT...period. No questions, no ifs ands or butts people. What it comes down to is preference. If you plan on staying N/A, the 5MT is the way to go IMHO. If you plan on spraying or going F.I., a properly built 4AT is the only way to go really.

I've had experience w/ nitrous and the 5MT, and i will tell you, its HARD to hook up. Proof that the 4AT is better than the 5MT for dragging purposes lies here. Tim (up above) w/ spray ran a 14.0@99mph to my 14.4@102mph. Yeah, my car was actually faster (sorry tim, face it!), but his car would hook up and actually beat me just about every single time. We had the same identical mods.

So yeah, all you little kids who think your badasses w/ your 5MT beware...
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Tim (up above) w/ spray ran a 14.0@99mph to my 14.4@102mph.
Maybe you just couldn't drive. I've seen traps lower than that but ET was in the 13's.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Maybe you just couldn't drive. I've seen traps lower than that but ET was in the 13's.

No, maybe you dont understand spray. I can drive. Try a 2.111 60ft in my max as my best 60ft. If i had DR's, then my time would have been better. 75shot of Nitrous OWNS street tires dude...

My point is, a 4AT w/ spray will ALWAYS be faster than a 5MT w/ spray, just because they can put the power down better.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

If i had DR's, then my time would have been better
That was my point, with slicks, you would've pwn3d him.

I hope you don't mean it will put down more power with the auto.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That was my point, with slicks, you would've pwn3d him.

I hope you don't mean it will put down more power with the auto.

More power, no, better times, IMHO, yes.

And more reliably as well..
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
More power, no, better times, IMHO, yes.

And more reliably as well..
i've personally had bad reliability experiences with the auto tranny in the maxima, and none after my swap..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
i've personally had bad reliability experiences with the auto tranny in the maxima, and none after my swap..

You'd be fine w/ a built one. Stockers are hit and miss. Hell, i had problems w/ my 5MT
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 AM

www.levelten.com
Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 AM
.org window licker

ok everyone that is manual i am jelous
but on the other hand more than half of u guys arent blowin
anyway dude if u do the 00vi or mevi swap its a good swap but u really need to get a ecu with that
if u blow u need ecu and y pipe and headders
i could suggest getting a tranny cooler first off Hayden makes them for cheep the heavy duty one works great, even if u dont boost, spray, or do anymore mods this will help ur tranny (cooler is better)
once u have the tranny cooler the ECU is great it unlocks alot of lost HP and torque
now if u get the ecu from JWT than u can send it back when u get other mods and it is only 100 bucks to reprogram
now the valvebody if u want to shift fast u can do this it will also make the tranny last longer, synthetic tranny fluid works wonders also (you will need to do this if u boost also )
now if u dont wany to spend alot of money on the valvebody mod than they have a mod called the "drop resistor mod" this mod HURTs the tranny i did it with a switch so that i could cut the circuit when i was at the track ONLY!!!
headders are a good add the y pipe is a good add underdrive pulley wont do much if u plan on boostin later on because u wil have to remove it
sorry i have a short attention span and lost train of thought
basically make it do the 3 things it is made to do better
AIR
FUEL
FIRE
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by mad-max98
you will go through all that bs and get every single bolt on and tune and race a 5spd one day and lose to it theeeeeeeeeen you're going to do the swap that's what happened to me anyways now i'm stumping mother****ers all the time they have to stop me when i say no i don't have nitrous to check for themselves good luck
so all you did was a 5spd swap and thats it?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Wow, this site has really really changed over the past year and a half since i've rid of my maxima.
hey man!
what's up! My Screen name used to be Lurchdogg11 and I remember discussing the differences b/n your Max and the Stratus right after you bought it.
How is the Stratus btw? Have you started to mod it? been to the track? still think it's faster than the Max lol???

Bruce
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 96nismomaxi
ok everyone that is manual i am jelous
but on the other hand more than half of u guys arent blowin
anyway dude if u do the 00vi or mevi swap its a good swap but u really need to get a ecu with that
if u blow u need ecu and y pipe and headders
i could suggest getting a tranny cooler first off Hayden makes them for cheep the heavy duty one works great, even if u dont boost, spray, or do anymore mods this will help ur tranny (cooler is better)
once u have the tranny cooler the ECU is great it unlocks alot of lost HP and torque
now if u get the ecu from JWT than u can send it back when u get other mods and it is only 100 bucks to reprogram
now the valvebody if u want to shift fast u can do this it will also make the tranny last longer, synthetic tranny fluid works wonders also (you will need to do this if u boost also )
now if u dont wany to spend alot of money on the valvebody mod than they have a mod called the "drop resistor mod" this mod HURTs the tranny i did it with a switch so that i could cut the circuit when i was at the track ONLY!!!
headders are a good add the y pipe is a good add underdrive pulley wont do much if u plan on boostin later on because u wil have to remove it
sorry i have a short attention span and lost train of thought
basically make it do the 3 things it is made to do better
AIR
FUEL
FIRE
Punctuation and grammar is your friend.

Originally Posted by AsthmaMax11
hey man!
what's up! My Screen name used to be Lurchdogg11 and I remember discussing the differences b/n your Max and the Stratus right after you bought it.
How is the Stratus btw? Have you started to mod it? been to the track? still think it's faster than the Max lol???

Bruce
Ahh, i remember you. My strat is fine. I did have some problems w/ it over the summer though. Had my MAF go and blew an injector. Had an electrical fire caused by assclowns that worked on my car as well. It was a REAL bad summer, lemme tell you! lol. Other than that, cars been fine. I have yet to really mod my car. I had a CAI on it, but removed it and went w/ a modified stock intake (filter @ end of stock pipping) and i removed my muffler and went w/ a straight pipe in its place. Have gotten nothing but compliments on it Threw the rims from my max on it as well and my old system. Blacked out the headlights and a gauge overlay about covers the mods.
Click for vid
Click for vid 2

I did ride in a turbo 3G Eclipse as well (my cars twin) and i loved it. I *MAY* be purchasing his kit late next year, but we'll see. This motor is only good for 300whp (8.5psi or so) reliably on our stock pistons. Thats our weak spot.

eh...back on topic i guess
Old 12-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

At what point did this guy say he was building up a high-hp Maxima?

Never? Yeah, seems that way to me too.

Therefore, 5-speed. End of story.

...And a BIG BIG to this:
Originally Posted by sullivs
If you want to drive faster, sign up for some high performance Driver's Education classes put on by your local Porsche or BMW clubs. You will learn tons of correct technique, and have a ball doing it. You will be a much safer and confident driver, too.
...and one more thing:
automatic owns anyway, can manuals eat, change the radio and still scratch their *** at the same time and stay on the road? i think not!
PLEASE DO THIS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. Preferably while traveling very quickly in a place with a lot of trees.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
At what point did this guy say he was building up a high-hp Maxima?

Never? Yeah, seems that way to me too.

Therefore, 5-speed. End of story.

...And a BIG BIG to this:

...and one more thing:

PLEASE DO THIS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. Preferably while traveling very quickly in a place with a lot of trees.

At what point did he say he wasnt?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 PM

Punctuation and grammar is your friend.

Ahh, i remember you. My strat is fine. I did have some problems w/ it over the summer though. Had my MAF go and blew an injector. Had an electrical fire caused by assclowns that worked on my car as well. It was a REAL bad summer, lemme tell you! lol. Other than that, cars been fine. I have yet to really mod my car. I had a CAI on it, but removed it and went w/ a modified stock intake (filter @ end of stock pipping) and i removed my muffler and went w/ a straight pipe in its place. Have gotten nothing but compliments on it Threw the rims from my max on it as well and my old system. Blacked out the headlights and a gauge overlay about covers the mods.
Click for vid
Click for vid 2

I did ride in a turbo 3G Eclipse as well (my cars twin) and i loved it. I *MAY* be purchasing his kit late next year, but we'll see. This motor is only good for 300whp (8.5psi or so) reliably on our stock pistons. Thats our weak spot.

eh...back on topic i guess
It sounds pretty mean. Not ricey at all, better than my Max sounded when I had an aftermarket muffler on there!

What do you think of the 4th gen Eclipses?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by brad kay
if you have the money just force yourself into the best of both worlds. Spray some nitrous, or go FI.. and then when you're auto tranny breaks.. which might not take too long.. you'll have the excuse to go manual.

That is so true I cant even begin to explain
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Is it easy to get a 3.0 auto into the 14s

I want to get an auto 4th gen... had 2 sticks, they were OK but the gf can't drive them and Maxima manuals aren't that great anyway
Old 09-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by skuccio's max
Is it easy to get a 3.0 auto into the 14s

I want to get an auto 4th gen... had 2 sticks, they were OK but the gf can't drive them and Maxima manuals aren't that great anyway

Dude, the last post in the thread was 12-02-2005 03:55 PM. You do realize the was ~4 years ago right?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 PM

mother f**ker
Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Hey at least he's searching
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 PM

hopefully he can search for the thread date too
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Well I figured rather than make a thread w/basically the exact same theme I'd open up the old one

This would come up in ppls subscriptions and show I did some research

Plus hopefully show some new developments over the last 4 years.

Again I am just looking to get a 4th gen into the 14s with an auto N/A... basically I'd want something as fast as an I35 or lightly modded Altima 3.5 auto as those are my auto VQ points of reference. 60-70HP gains at the crank are pretty wild I admit, but I'm thinkin a 2K swap, 3.5 OBX headers and a 3" exhaust should bring me up to at least like 240-250 crank HP which is about what I'd be happy with

I need auto cause the girl needs to drive the car, and pretty much any other auto car I can think of is flawed... Bimmer/Benz V8s are too unreliable, Honda V6 trannys blow up, Camries are boring as **** etc... and Im def not goin domestic
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 AM

weight reduction!