4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

It was th PCV valve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 PM

i just changed mine today and it took me almost 30 mins to put it back in. i bought mine at autozune that deustch (*****) something like that. if this sucka was hard try replacing your fuel fiter. such as biatch in the *** cuz of the clearance issues
Old 04-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by gmax96
i just changed mine today and it took me almost 30 mins to put it back in. i bought mine at autozune that deustch (*****) something like that. if this sucka was hard try replacing your fuel fiter. such as biatch in the *** cuz of the clearance issues
Why did it take you that long? Fitment issues?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 PM

yo pclamb, as far as basics go....white smoke means you're probably getting water or antifreeze into your cylinder, this could be because of a bad head gasket, simple thing, check your dipstick to see if you have any antifreeze mixed in with your oil (if it looks like a yucky choco milkshake type color)
blue smoke means that you're probably getting oil into your cylinder, and even a drop of oil mixed in with your fuel/air will give you blue smoke out of your exhaust...now oil is a diff story because it runs all over your engine and there's a lot of seal/gaskets n such to keep it out of the cylinders, try an oil additive that helps reduce oil leaks, or use a thicker weight engine oil and see if that helps...if you see your car start to misfire, then there's too much oil going into your cylinder which caused the spark plug to crap out...

your pcv valve is put there to make sure all the extra byproducts of the combustion process (the little bit that is escaped through the piston rings) doesn't sit in your crankcase and gunk up, it helps vent it away...

hope this helped
Old 08-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My '99 GXE (auto) suddenly started losing oil after I let an express lube place do an "oil flush". Mistake, I'm an idiot! Anyway, I was thinking that maybe they clogged the PCV and the pressure is squeezing the oil out anywhere it can. It runs OK [mileage is down] and is quiet but every once in a while it hesitates and belches smoke out the tailpipe [I can relate]. For $5 a figured a PCV is worth a try...but i can't find the damn thing! I look where every says it is [driver side, rear valve cover]. Is it really there or does it fall in the category of blinker fluid? I miss inline V8's. Is there any more obvious tubing I can trace to find it?

Thanks! [newbie]
Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CPlamb
Hi - I am new here and hope someone can help me with an answer. Sorry if this is too long!
I just bought an '03 GLE, 30K last week and when it starts after enough time passes to cool down = BIG puff of blue/white smoke, then all is fine after about 30 seconds! Dealer said the PCV valve was clogged, causing oil to get into system and that's why the smoke at startup. They replaced the valve but said it might continue to smoke at startup for a few days until all the accumulated oil burns off. Are they being straight with me?? I got it back yesterday, have started it 3 times and same amount of smoke comes out each time! Please help me - I want to believe them, but something seems wrong here! Friends tell me it might be valve seals or rings!?
I'm having the exact same problem with a '99 GXE that I've owned since new [I had missed your post]. I started suddenly after an oil flush. Maybe the dealer did the same thing to yours. I hope it's the PCV value, otherwise...anyone want a pristine Maxima except for the engine?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by njmodi
I have been using Nissan replacements... 8 bucks a piece.. Autozone ones are fine too - but I have found they don't fit quite as nicely... since I only do mine every 15k, I just spend the extra 3 bucks and get the OEM part.
Ditto! NJ, did you ever finish your valve cover gasket replacements? I haven't :-( No time.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by mjerguy
Hello. Just since I'm a complete no-nothing about engines, can I confirm that the way to check the PCV valve is to remove it and shake it and if some sort of pin "rattles" inside it is probably okay, right? Assuming the car doesn't have any starting or other engine problems that would lead to changing it just to be sure it is working okay (since it is a cheap swap).
For maintenance, checking it (by shaking it) every 30k would be a good idea if not to change it?
Thanks, mikey
No i don't think this is true. I believe traditional PCV valves have a ball valve type ventalation. The OEM PCV valves do not have a ball. They have a spring and and 'lid' (for lack of a better word) Spring pushes against the 'lid'. similar to what a ball would do under gravity. I hope you folks understand. I don't really feel like explaining further. Good Luck.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by eturnl
No i don't think this is true. I believe traditional PCV valves have a ball valve type ventalation. The OEM PCV valves do not have a ball. They have a spring and and 'lid' (for lack of a better word) Spring pushes against the 'lid'. similar to what a ball would do under gravity. I hope you folks understand. I don't really feel like explaining further. Good Luck.

Which is better? The ball type or the spring type pcv valve?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 AM

does anyone know if shortening the pcv valve will do any harm? i had to cut mine down so it will clear the 00vi and obviously now there is less travel for the metal rod on the inside. Is this going to effect anything?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by crazy97
Which is better? The ball type or the spring type pcv valve?
Not sure, but the oem one was spring. and thats what nissan used.... so....

Old 08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by chillin014
does anyone know if shortening the pcv valve will do any harm? i had to cut mine down so it will clear the 00vi and obviously now there is less travel for the metal rod on the inside. Is this going to effect anything?
As long as you shortened the part from the top and maintained a good seal. I dont see how it could cause any problems.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM

doh at leats its done
Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by SkipJack
Is it really there or does it fall in the category of blinker fluid? I miss inline V8's.
It's really there, just have to look.

Inline V8's, eh? Nothing like a good ol' IV8.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM

This is a "change as needed" part. If your engine is running smooth, you can leave it alone. Most of us will see our cars die before they will need to replace the PCV.

That said, if $10 buys you peace of mind, then go for it.

Just don't tell everyone that there is a recommended replacement interval. That little valve will outlive the car for most of us.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced mine about a year ago and never plan to again.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Stolen From: JT's Maxima - http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/254307/2

PCV Change: remove the bolt on the hardpipe behind PCV to give it some slack, use needle nose pliers to move clamp & remove the PCV.

NOTE: I have 150k miles and I'm still on the original PCV, but thought posting the image here would help some of those who are looking for it. Thanks to JT, whoever he is...
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
Ahahaha im gonna take a pic of my PCV valve on my new Max before I swap it out, Its like covered in Sludge
lmao.. I look forward to the pic.