4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension - springs, struts, coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 AM

Suspension - springs, struts, coilovers

I've done quite a bit of reading on this site about suspension over the last year or so and I'm wondering if there are any new ideas or if I made the wrong choices. My setup right now is Illuminas front, stock rear (previously illuminas in the rear), Maxspeed springs on a 4th gen with 215/50/16's. I get much less body roll than the stock GXE setup, but I feel like the springs/struts are a little too soft before reaching the limits, whether that be undulations on the interstate or rough spots while cornering. I guess I feel it's either too soft or too stiff. My tire pressures have been 36, 38, and usually 40-42lbs. I really don't have the $$ to shell out for coilovers (not sure I'd wanna put that much in this car since I don't like the paint and that it's not independent susp to begin with...), but I want the suspension to be more predicatable and even. The ride is not bouncy, but it feels like the limited travel I have now isn't being used efficiently since perhaps 1/2 of the travel is quickly absorbed, and the car feels out of control after that when the springs become suddenly stiff. Is this normal for progressive springs? I wanted to go with linear springs originally but couldn't find any. The stock springs (GXE, not SE) are more predictable but there is body roll from hell and they're a little too soft. I believe they are linear though, so I have enough travel to work with and it's predictable and actually as stable as my current setup. Granted, on a smooth surface, ie, racetrack, I could go faster, but on anything but ideal roads (99%) I must go slower to keep the car under control. I've also used even and -1 degree camber and had better results from even camber, but the outcome is still similar. I've considered SFC's also, but I'm not sure that will give me what I'm looking for. I would like more predictable springs (linear?), very little body roll (RSB?), and something slightly stiffer than the "progressive" part of the spring and more like the response of when the spring is already partially compressed in a corner.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:51 AM

ummmmmmmmm

i lost u...tooo much reading. what exactly...(make it short sweet and simple) do u want?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:26 AM

I got lost in your post. Basically you want a nice predictable suspension setup that isnt too soft nor too stiff?

Why do you have stock shocks in the rear? This could be leading to some of the issues your getting, sturts are at one stiffness when the back are at another.

Do Illuminas all around, and H&R springs, adjust the stiffness of the struts as desired.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I got lost in your post. Basically you want a nice predictable suspension setup that isnt too soft nor too stiff?

Why do you have stock shocks in the rear? This could be leading to some of the issues your getting, sturts are at one stiffness when the back are at another.

Do Illuminas all around, and H&R springs, adjust the stiffness of the struts as desired.
i think he is looking for the perfect balance....the only way to get that is coilovers.....but like Deezy said if u want less Body Roll and still soft ride go with H&Rs...Illluminas or AGX anythign adjustable.....and a RSB.....some peopel say the RSB makes the rear of the car unpredictable...but i think its BS....never mis-match struts thats asking for issues.....or springs too....GL
Old 09-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Yeah, too verbose, lol. Just didn't wanna leave out any details. MDeezy got it right - "...predictable suspension setup that isnt too soft nor too stiff?" Maybe I'm too picky? I did have the illuminas in the rear, but it never felt dialed in. I stripped the threads then clamped down on the rods out of frustration to get them out of the springs (poor thread design IMO) which made them unusable. Ouch. The strange thing was the stock rear struts felt the same as the tokicos. I preferred them at the 3 setting in the front and rear. I don't really think either strut is at fault here b/c the spring gives more "feel" to the overall ride than the strut. IMO, Illuminas aren't usable at the 2 or 5 option for daily settings anyway. 4 would be reasonable for very smooth roads. I think my problem isn't so much the combination of how well the struts/springs are paired together, but more the springs themselves. I would never say use only stock struts with stiffer springs b/c that's too much stress, but I'm quickly becoming a non-progressive spring believer. If I can't find any non-progressive springs, I'll probably just try stiffer ones or sell the car with the stock setup. It seems like Eibach offers non-prog springs, but I'm not sure if they're avail for the 4th gen maxima. To me it's not worth so much trouble, but if someone else has been through this please speak up. I love the power of this car, but suspension really blows.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Banned

u write too much bro...I would have hated to be your English teacher
Old 09-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

Eibach & Illumias for the best performing suspension
Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 PM

first of all, i dont know why in the world you would change out the illumina rear struts for stockers. ??!! but here are my thoughts, on what your describing:

--- the maxspeed springs you are riding on, are on the stiffer side of the available lowering springs you could have gone with. so those are not your problem. - trust me

--- you have illumina's in the front, what setting do you have them on? they are 5- way adjustable. if there are no adjustmensts on the top of the struts, you have tokico blues, not illuminas

--- if you do have illumina's put them back in you rear asap.

if i had to pick out the week spot in your suspension, (aside from your rear struts), it would be your rim/tire combo. your running what should be able to be, ( with the settings on illumia struts), a VERY stiff suspension, in combination with a narrow, tall, probably all season tire. thats why when your driving fast on the highway, and you change lanes, you get that very wavey feeling when you try to corner. that is DEFINATELY your weakest link.

i would suggest putting the illumia's back in the rear before anything else
Old 09-20-2005, 01:13 PM

why is your tire pressure so high?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:17 PM

just to set a few things straight-
- you dont need coilovers
- h&r springs are softer than the maxspeeds you have
- h&r's are 30% stiffer than stock springs, maxspeed & eibachs are 50%
- its definately your tires

i had a 95 and 96 max..

the 95 had : h&r, kyb gr2's, addco rsb, stillen fstb, 18 X 8.5 rims with 245/40/18 summer tires. this car drove like it was on f-ckin rails..

my 96 currently has: h&r, illumina's (had gr2's) no strut bar, no sway bar, and 17 X 7.5 rims (had 18 x 7.5 ) with 235/45/17 summer tires (had 235/40/18 summer tires)
i switched to softer struts, (due to the adjusments), smaller rims, and a larger sidewall tire cause it drove too hard. the car is more tollerable to ride in now, but IN NO WAY, can ever be passed off as being " too soft " and "unpredictable"

your problem is yout tires
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by guyfromkop
why is your tire pressure so high?
because his side wall is almost a foot high, and he thinks that by increasing his tire pressure, it would take the sway out of the side wall.. it doesnt.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Lol. It's just a lot of frustration coming out. I couldn't post until recently b/c I was new. Guess I'm making up for it. : )
Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 PM

want a quick and easy demonstration.. walk up the side of your car, and push it side to side, by the roof.. look down and see how much sway you have in the side wall of your tires
Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 PM

i have the 99 se-l rims with avon ms550 205/55/16, progress rsb, tokico illuminas w/ springs set on 2 and my car is damn close to riding like stock. some people cant even tell, plus it can go through a corner like non other. i have tried to make it slip out and unles i feel like tipping my max or there is a load of gravel it wont.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by guyfromkop
i have the 99 se-l rims with avon ms550 205/55/16, progress rsb, tokico illuminas w/ springs set on 2 and my car is damn close to riding like stock. some people cant even tell, plus it can go through a corner like non other. i have tried to make it slip out and unles i feel like tipping my max or there is a load of gravel it wont.
put 18's on it and you'll think your driving an indy car
Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 PM

You guys may be right with the tires. That's why I've tried multiple pressures. They don't really sway (L<->R), but I can see how they might oscillate or compress/decompress unpredictably. I've ridden on 225/40/18's on other cars and the handling was great. So I can see my profile as a weakness. What would you recommend? Some 40-ish profile w/ an 18? Wish I had the money to do that...
I can't put the Illuminas back on b/c I shredded the piston rods when I got mad b/c the threads stripped. They're junk. As far as the settings I used (still set on the fronts) they felt best at "3." I considered going w/ AGX's before, but I read they were a little stiff.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:47 PM

i've had 18s before and they are nice, but i hate having to cringe everytime i hit a pothole or crease in the road. i've dented many a rim before. i like not having to worry about denting a $400 rim and 3s are too bumpy for me on the highway, i made a turn and hit a bump at about 85 and thought i was going to bounce off the road
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM

your tires will make a vey big difference, no matter what kind of suspension set-up you run. remember, they are what comes in contact with the road after all. another thing to consider, is not so much the size, but the type. all-seasons, and touring tires, will always ride softer, and not handle as well as a summer tire. the down side to this, is having to cope with chaning weather, particularly snow. summer tires are not made to drive in snow, and have VERY bad snow traction.
you happen to be in a decent situation though. cause where you live, you have smooth roads ( compared to nyc), so you can do an 18" without having to worry to much about potholes bending them. also, you get alot of snow in the winter, so more than likely you would hold on and use your stockers for the winter anyway. as far as rim size goes, thats up to you. you need a 17" rim at least to handle good, if you go 18" itll handle even better. as far as tires, ive had toyo's nitto's and falcons. out of those 3 i would recommend going with the falcons. i have falcon st-115's and have never had a problem with them like i had with the others. they are the most quiet riding of the 3, with a reinforced sidewall, rim protection, and are great in the rain. they also pretty cheap too.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Sorry, they may be 215's, not 225's ...not that the width would matter as much as the profile. So you guys think this is more tire than anything? That would explain the sensitivity to toe/camber changes. But like guyfromkop said I worry about bumps after spending this much $$. Not that I have it now anyway since I just bought a house. I agree with guyfromkop also that 2 on the Tokicos feels like stock. 3 is ideal to me.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jtreed2000
Sorry, they may be 215's, not 225's ...not that the width would matter as much as the profile. So you guys think this is more tire than anything? That would explain the sensitivity to toe/camber changes. But like guyfromkop said I worry about bumps after spending this much $$. Not that I have it now anyway since I just bought a house. I agree with guyfromkop also that 2 on the Tokicos feels like stock. 3 is ideal to me.
in my opinion, 17" rims, with 235/45/17 tires are the best of both worlds. it handles very good, and still gives you a decent sidewall for the potholes.. with this size i would DEFINATELY recommend the falcon tires i have also.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I was thinking of selling these rims anyway. They're the 00-03, 5 spoke and they're a little too bright for silver and they're a little boring. I appreciate all the opinions. I think ya'll are right about the tires. I may try another spring setup and go back to the rear Illuminas, but if I'm going to be a perfectionist about handling I obviously can't sacrifice on the tires. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Thanks for all who replied. I put Illuminas back in the rear and it rides like a dream. Not sure what I did wrong the first time I installed them. Prob too stiff or too soft. The tires feel ok now even at a higher pressure. Non of the "upredictable" behavior. These tires are rated up to 44psi btw. Won't hurt to save on gas and I'm trying to wear them out quickly anyway. They had a service recall of some sort, but it wasn't officially a recall, so they weren't replaced in some cases. Haven't had time to get them checked out. Anyway, back to looking to for the SFC's to get the suspension to work a little more. It's amazing what $160 struts can do. In love w/ my maxima once again... : )
Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Maxspeed springs are cheap springs, they ride and feel like cheap springs as well. Get yourself a set of quality springs. H&R & Eibach are the best, Progress or even the Tein H-Tech are descent as well. Put the Illuminas back in the rear, the stock shock is not valved correctly for lower sport springs. The stock shocks are valved spicifically to match the stock springs.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:29 AM

Have you used Maxpeed's? I read what I could find about them, but was thinking H&R originally. The springs were the first upgrade (experiment..), then a week later I got the struts, so I don't have anything besides GXE springs to compare them to. I wrote the original post before I put Illuminas back inthe rear. Now it rides pretty well except a little bumpy b/c my tire pressure is 42lbs. What are the differences in good bad springs? I know that sounds simple... the immediate thoughts are sagging over time, variations between each spring (rate), but as far as ride quality?