4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got new brakes and my emergency brake is like super loose. What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
My guess is that the rear left side (that keeps spinning even after the e-brake is pulled) e-brake cable is disconnected from the equalizer.

The ebrake cabling system consists of 3 cables, a single cable from the ebrake to an equalizer, and then a seperate cable from the equalizer to the rear right nd rear left caliper. I am guessing that either the left side cable as become disconnected from the equalizer or the cable itself has broken. That would explain why that caliper is not being engaged when you pull the e-brake and it would also explain why you have so much slack in your ebrake system.
What does this equalizer look like? I looked but didn't see it. Or I didn't know I was looking at it. Is it covered up? Is it possible for this thing to be partially broken? I mean the e-brake does give it a little bite on the rotor when I pull it it just doesn't stop the thing as fast as it should if it were really holding the rotor tight.

Another thing I noticed is that the rear left rotor temperature is markedly lower than the right. I could touch the left one without being burned. It was warm, but not as hot as the right one. Could the caliper actually be seizing (as was suggested before)?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
What does this equalizer look like? I looked but didn't see it. Or I didn't know I was looking at it. Is it covered up? Is it possible for this thing to be partially broken? I mean the e-brake does give it a little bite on the rotor when I pull it it just doesn't stop the thing as fast as it should if it were really holding the rotor tight.

Another thing I noticed is that the rear left rotor temperature is markedly lower than the right. I could touch the left one without being burned. It was warm, but not as hot as the right one. Could the caliper actually be seizing (as was suggested before)?
The equalizer is covered by the catalytic converter and heat shields under the car's body. you have to remove the heat shields. It's the part where the each rear cable connects to the front cable.

I would suggest you find a competent mechanic to look at your brakes and fix them. I don't want to discourage you from working on your car, but it is clear that you are struggling with this issue and even with all the extensive advice provided so far, you have made little or no progress.

In the interest of your own safety and those around you, please have your brakes looked at by competent mechanic, or post in the regional forums and buy another org'er some lunch and a few beers and have them help you out.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 AM

Oh ye of little faith. You know, I'd have been more comfortable if you had sent me such a demeaning message in a PM. Just kidding. Anyway, I have gotten the e-brake to hold both wheels now. I pulled the caliper back off and messed around with the disk brake caliper tool set from Autozone and put it in the caliper and depressed the brake (with car started) and pulled the ebrake to see if the caliper was a least moving a little and gripping the tool. It was. Then I decided to twist the caliper ccw a half turn. Now they grip. Does the piston screw in and out when it's rotated cw and ccw? That's the only guess I have. The ebrake is now nice and firm when I pull it up. It's so funny that you say take it to a mechanic when that's what got the whole thing started in the first place! And now he works at a Nissan dealership farther away from me and I don't know if they let their techs work on their own projects once a week like the other one the guy I use was working at.

I'll give you a progress report in a couple of days. Right now I'm just happy.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
Oh ye of little faith. You know, I'd have been more comfortable if you had sent me such a demeaning message in a PM. Just kidding. Anyway, I have gotten the e-brake to hold both wheels now. I pulled the caliper back off and messed around with the disk brake caliper tool set from Autozone and put it in the caliper and depressed the brake (with car started) and pulled the ebrake to see if the caliper was a least moving a little and gripping the tool. It was. Then I decided to twist the caliper ccw a half turn. Now they grip. Does the piston screw in and out when it's rotated cw and ccw? That's the only guess I have. The ebrake is now nice and firm when I pull it up. It's so funny that you say take it to a mechanic when that's what got the whole thing started in the first place! And now he works at a Nissan dealership farther away from me and I don't know if they let their techs work on their own projects once a week like the other one the guy I use was working at.

I'll give you a progress report in a couple of days. Right now I'm just happy.
As I had stated in my response, I was not trying to be offensive, nor was I trying to discourage you. Brakes are obviously a very important component of your car and it was more out of concern than anything else that I suggested that you should consider getting some help.

Glad your brakes are working again.

Cheers.