4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got new brakes and my emergency brake is like super loose. What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Just got new brakes and my emergency brake is like super loose. What gives?

new pads new rotors all the way around. What happened????
Old 09-22-2005, 06:51 PM

u disconnect the cable or something??

mine was like that when I did the rear brakes, went away after I dropped the car and got it moving.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Did you do the work?

The parking brake cables may not have been reconnected to the rear calipers...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Did you do the work?

The parking brake cables may not have been reconnected to the rear calipers...
Well the brake does grab a little. BUt not enough to keep it still on a steep hill.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Then you need to adjust the cable tension via the adjuster under the center console. If you remove the console, you'll see where the cable attaches to the parking brake lever and a nut at the end of the cable were you can adjust the tension. Be careful not to overtighten - you don't want your rear brakes to drag. (Adjust it so that 7-10 clicks of the parking brake lever is the point of good engagement - car holds on an incline).
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 PM

Then you need to adjust the cable tension via the adjuster under the center console. If you remove the console, you'll see where the cable attaches to the parking brake lever and a nut at the end of the cable were you can adjust the tension. Be careful not to overtighten - you don't want your rear brakes to drag. (Adjust it so that 7-10 clicks of the parking brake lever is the point of good engagement - car holds on an incline).
Okay that's actually what a guy told me tonight. (You know I had to check that against the org.) But what about the new brakes makes it necessary for me to make this adjustment? It would seem to me that with new rotors and new pads that I'd have to pull the lever less.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
It would seem to me that with new rotors and new pads that I'd have to pull the lever less.
I agree. That is why I initially thought that perhaps the cables were inadvertently left disconnected.

Does the brake pedal feel nice and firm (during regular braking)?
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah firm and smooth and QUIET!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:44 PM

hey nice g35 with maxima rims
Old 09-23-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by euser985
hey nice g35 with maxima rims
Hey man, you do know that's not my car, right. As I say in the little caption above, It's "what I wish I could have." But the wheels are actually 350Z wheels. The spokes look a little curved from this angle, well, they are a little. But they're not tapered toward the outer rim of the wheel as they are on the max wheels, which is why I don't like them as much as the 350Z wheels. It other pics I have of that car from the side, you can tell much more easily.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I would check the cables to make sure the brackets weren't left disconnected from the frame and if the cables check out ok, then adjust the tension as mentioned earlier.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM

check and see if the cable is still connected to the rear brakes then try to adjust the tensioner
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Something went wrong during the brake work. There is no reason to adjust the emergency brake tensioner. Double check everything first. If you adjust the tensioner to make the problem go away, it only makes thing worse (later).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 PM

I had the same problem when i changed all around. It lasted for a few days and returned to normal. Hopefully you will too.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM

i dunno if this works with these cars, it use to with the older american ones. try backing up and hitting the brakes hard a few times. on the older ones it use to help adjust them. its worth a shot..
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your rear brakes were done incorrectly. It's important to fix them soon, or the pads will badly wear at a taper, and the rotor will possibly get scored.
Remove the rear pads, and check them. The inner pad has a "nub" on the back. The caliper piston has 4 notches on the face, and the "nub" on the pad is supposed to fit in one of those notches. Turn the piston clockwise with the proper tool or needle nose pliers, until the notches form a cross. Should look like + .
Reinstall the pads, making sure that the nub slides into a notch on the piston. This will now allow the piston to sit flush on the pad, and apply even pressure. The e-brake will function normally.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
Your rear brakes were done incorrectly. It's important to fix them soon, or the pads will badly wear at a taper, and the rotor will possibly get scored.
Remove the rear pads, and check them. The inner pad has a "nub" on the back. The caliper piston has 4 notches on the face, and the "nub" on the pad is supposed to fit in one of those notches. Turn the piston clockwise with the proper tool or needle nose pliers, until the notches form a cross. Should look like + .
Reinstall the pads, making sure that the nub slides into a notch on the piston. This will now allow the piston to sit flush on the pad, and apply even pressure. The e-brake will function normally.
is that what that nub was fore?!?! i had to dremel mine off lol

looks like i gotta redo that ****
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
is that what that nub was fore?!?! i had to dremel mine off lol

looks like i gotta redo that ****
Old 09-29-2005, 03:25 PM

The peg on the back of the rear inner pad goes into the groove on the piston. But if your parking brake is loose just give it a few pulls. It should tighten up.

Move forward and pull the lever. Then put it in reverse and pull the lever. This maneuver should adjust your rear piston.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
The peg on the back of the rear inner pad goes into the groove on the piston. But if your parking brake is loose just give it a few pulls. It should tighten up.

Move forward and pull the lever. Then put it in reverse and pull the lever. This maneuver should adjust your rear piston.
PAREDLINE - I don't think this is valid for rear disc brakes.... back in the days of some drum systems, yes, but on our cars, no way. What effect will driving have on any part of the hydraulic system such that the piston will get affected? (I am open to being educated about this if I am wrong).

If everything is working as designed, a few pulls of the parking brake should have extended the piston sufficiently to make the both the pedal and parking brake firm.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM

PAREDLINE - I don't think this is valid for rear disc brakes.... back in the days of some drum systems, yes, but on our cars, no way. What effect will driving have on any part of the hydraulic system such that the piston will get affected? (I am open to being educated about this if I am wrong).

If everything is working as designed, a few pulls of the parking brake should have extended the piston sufficiently to make the both the pedal and parking brake firm.
Dang guys you're gonna have me pulling my hair out in a second. My brakes were done by a Nissan tech. He's done this many times before. What could he have done to mess it up? He said something about driving in reverse and pulling the brake and something but I don't remember exactly and what I tried didn't work. I don't know when he'll be able to get to my car again and I'm afraid to tighten the lever when I'm not sure if this will be screwing something else up. Sigh.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Dang guys you're gonna have me pulling my hair out in a second. My brakes were done by a Nissan tech. He's done this many times before. What could he have done to mess it up? He said something about driving in reverse and pulling the brake and something but I don't remember exactly and what I tried didn't work. I don't know when he'll be able to get to my car again and I'm afraid to tighten the lever when I'm not sure if this will be screwing something else up. Sigh.
Have you checked to make sure BOTH cables are attached to calipers (i.e. one to each)?

Have you checked that all the cable brackets have been secured to the underbody/frame?

Have you checked the pads were correctly lined up with the piston (the nub should be in the groove)?

All these sugestions were made to you .. I don't see any effort from your end to help fix the problem. If you think we're just going to post a magic solution, that requires NO effort from your behalf to fix the problem, well that's not going to happen.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Also make sure the e-brake return springs were mounted back onto the rear calipers.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 PM

All these sugestions were made to you .. I don't see any effort from your end to help fix the problem. If you think we're just going to post a magic solution, that requires NO effort from your behalf to fix the problem, well that's not going to happen.
Okay, Dad. The return springs were on there. What would that have to do with why I can't get tension when I pull up the brake. Anyway, from my unprofessional point of view, I think the problem is what you or somebody else said about that nub not being in the piston. It's the same on both wheels. Argh. The pistons themselves being farther away from the rotors would explain slack in the e-brake line. I can't believe he missed something like this. Well, he's not but 21 so I guess he hadn't worked for Nissan too long and Nissan wanted 800 for the job so I'm still coming out ahead. He'll have to knock some of the fee of the knock sensor replacement I think I'm gonna try to get him to do. What all is there to getting the calipers off? I have been 165 miles away from home for like nine months and no longer have access to my "real" dad's tools. I'll be doing some bedtime reading in my Haynes manual. (Be so much easier if you just tell me, though.)
Old 09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Okay, Dad. The return springs were on there. What would that have to do with why I can't get tension when I pull up the brake. Anyway, from my unprofessional point of view, I think the problem is what you or somebody else said about that nub not being in the piston. It's the same on both wheels. Argh. The pistons themselves being farther away from the rotors would explain slack in the e-brake line. I can't believe he missed something like this. Well, he's not but 21 so I guess he hadn't worked for Nissan too long and Nissan wanted 800 for the job so I'm still coming out ahead. He'll have to knock some of the fee of the knock sensor replacement I think I'm gonna try to get him to do. What all is there to getting the calipers off? I have been 165 miles away from home for like nine months and no longer have access to my "real" dad's tools. I'll be doing some bedtime reading in my Haynes manual. (Be so much easier if you just tell me, though.)
I'm nowhere near old enough to be your dad... and if I was, I would have you already!

The springs provide tension in both directions - but as long as they are there, it doesn't matter.

The calipers come off with 2 bolts... It shouldn't take too long to get each caliper off and make sure the nub is indeed lined up with the piston groove.

Did you make sure the parking brake cable is secured to the car as it should be?

The point of my post was that we can't help you fix your problem if you don't post back with responses to posts that ask you to check on certain things.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:11 PM

ok.. heres the best way to fix it.. bring it back and say " here ... fix this".. you paid for it didnt you, then why should u have to fix what u paid for
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM

Do you have shims on your rear pads?

The calipers come off with 2 bolts... It shouldn't take too long to get each caliper off and make sure the nub is indeed lined up with the piston groove.

Did you make sure the parking brake cable is secured to the car as it should be?
Do you guys have shim kits on your rear pads?? I heard that a lot of people don't have them. That's what the nub on the pads is for, right? I don't have shims cause I got raybestos brakes on the last go-round for rears and, of course, the brake shop threw them away or ate them or whatever. That was like three years ago and 170 miles away anyway, though. How much does this kit cost? I assume they come in pairs.

And where do you mean when you say are the cables secured to the car? I see the line from the spring down through the little tube that covers it and it runs the length of the car, basically. I think I'll take another look. But before I take the wheels off again, I'd like to know what you think cause I think I may just put the shim kit on and turn the piston and all that junk the next time I pull the wheels off.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM

Have you checked to make sure BOTH cables are attached to calipers (i.e. one to each)?

Have you checked that all the cable brackets have been secured to the underbody/frame?

Have you checked the pads were correctly lined up with the piston (the nub should be in the groove)?

How do you turn the piston? I started on the right side and I couldn't get that sucker to turn. What is the tool to use to do this? I looked at the pad and it is indeed wearing unevenly already, so whoever told me that would happen was even right-er than I thought they'd be. Must put an end to this.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Do I get a tax break?

How do you turn the piston? I started on the right side and I couldn't get that sucker to turn. What is the tool to use to do this? I looked at the pad and it is indeed wearing unevenly already, so whoever told me that would happen was even right-er than I thought they'd be. Must put an end to this.
Needle nose plier. Or you can buy a special tool at autozone, etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM

Your rear calipers are seizing. That is EXACTLY what happened to me after getting my brakes done. I had to pull the brake ALL the way up to barely feel it grab. After changing calipers, it returned to normal.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:19 PM

Okay so I'd open up the pliers and put the tips on two opposite sides of the piston and turn it, right? Any idea how much this tool would be? What is it called? Will the Autozone guys know what I'm talking about if I describe it to them? Is it specific to the automaker or model? I'm not thinking I'll get to this before next week cause I hurt my back picking up the tire/wheel without using my legs. I swear I have aged 30 years in the last five.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15 AM
KFL

Okay so I'd open up the pliers and put the tips on two opposite sides of the piston and turn it, right? Any idea how much this tool would be? What is it called? Will the Autozone guys know what I'm talking about if I describe it to them? Is it specific to the automaker or model? I'm not thinking I'll get to this before next week cause I hurt my back picking up the tire/wheel without using my legs. I swear I have aged 30 years in the last five.
It's a rental tool. return get your money back like 30ish I recall. It's a universal tool comes with different sizes for the piston.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
i dunno if this works with these cars, it use to with the older american ones. try backing up and hitting the brakes hard a few times. on the older ones it use to help adjust them. its worth a shot..
That's for the self adjusters on drum brakes. American, Japanese or otherwise, this does not apply to a car with four-wheel disc brakes like ours.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Brake pedal going farther down that it was. What gives?

Geez these brakes are killing me. So I got the tool and the pin that holds the little jig that goes into the piston falls out of the tool! I'm like, son of a biscuit. So I goes and gets one from another Autozone and I get them both turned the right way. (Oh Happy Day) And now I find that I have to press the brake pedal waaaaay farther than I think I should have to in order to slow the car. Fluid level holding steady. What the who-ha is going on here? Also, if it matters, I didn't feel this change immediately after my work, which I completed last Monday. Really I think I started noticing it a day or two ago.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 AM

Geez these brakes are killing me. So I got the tool and the pin that holds the little jig that goes into the piston falls out of the tool! I'm like, son of a biscuit. So I goes and gets one from another Autozone and I get them both turned the right way. (Oh Happy Day) And now I find that I have to press the brake pedal waaaaay farther than I think I should have to in order to slow the car. Fluid level holding steady. What the who-ha is going on here? Also, if it matters, I didn't feel this change immediately after my work, which I completed last Monday. Really I think I started noticing it a day or two ago.
Did you completely disconnect the caliper? Did you do anything else that might let air into the brake system? You might have to bleed your brakes.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
Did you completely disconnect the caliper? Did you do anything else that might let air into the brake system? You might have to bleed your brakes.
I was hoping there would be something else. As to how air could have gotten in the system, I'm clueless. All I did was loosen the two bolts per caliper that hold the calipers on the rotor and take it off and twist the pistons straight. What the heck could I have done? How perplexing.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:40 PM

if only one side isnt connected it will do that
Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 AM

Yowsers. That's not cool. I guess I'll be checking the brakes out yet again.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mjb95maxse
if only one side isnt connected it will do that
Okay, I don't like what I've found, with the brake pulled up, only the rear right is holding the car in place. I have the cable adjustment under the center console as tight as it can get and I still get 16 clicks or so. I got the wheel spinning and depressed the brake pedal (with car off) and I had to push it down real good to get it to stop. I'll try it with the car on next time. But this is confusing. The brake cables are attached to the car and the return spring and lever and all that stuff just like they should be. Man what gives.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Okay, I don't like what I've found, with the brake pulled up, only the rear right is holding the car in place. I have the cable adjustment under the center console as tight as it can get and I still get 16 clicks or so. I got the wheel spinning and depressed the brake pedal (with car off) and I had to push it down real good to get it to stop. I'll try it with the car on next time. But this is confusing. The brake cables are attached to the car and the return spring and lever and all that stuff just like they should be. Man what gives.
My guess is that the rear left side (that keeps spinning even after the e-brake is pulled) e-brake cable is disconnected from the equalizer.

The ebrake cabling system consists of 3 cables, a single cable from the ebrake to an equalizer, and then a seperate cable from the equalizer to the rear right nd rear left caliper. I am guessing that either the left side cable as become disconnected from the equalizer or the cable itself has broken. That would explain why that caliper is not being engaged when you pull the e-brake and it would also explain why you have so much slack in your ebrake system.

Quick Reply: Just got new brakes and my emergency brake is like super loose. What gives?