4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

expected horsepower gains from...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 01:05 PM

expected horsepower gains from...

I am just getting into this whole modifying thing, and have a few questions.

I'm interested in a 97 maxima se 5-spd with 17" wheels and then putting the following mods on it... can anyone tell me roughly what the total horsepower would/could be... and even what kind of 1/4 or 0-60 times i could expect? (I've chosen these mods because they don't add any extra loud noise to the car.. am i even right in thinking that?)

- Place Racing CAI (can i add a k&n filter to that? yes, i know **** about this stuff, im learning though)
- RT Catalytic Converter
- Jet Performance ECU Upgrade
- Unorthodox Racing Pulley

anything else that i could add that wouldnt add any noise to the car? (I live in a very, very quiet neighborhood and dont want other people knowing about any mods)

any feedback would be great,, thanks
Old 05-29-2001, 01:25 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: expected horsepower gains from...

Originally posted by brettcassidy

- Place Racing CAI (can i add a k&n filter to that? yes, i know **** about this stuff, im learning though)

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

- RT Catalytic Converter

Not familiar with that one. Search yielded nothing.....:shrug:

Good luck and welcome to the dark, dark world of modding your Max!
Old 05-29-2001, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm interested in a 97 maxima se 5-spd with 17" wheels and then putting the following mods on it... can anyone tell me roughly what the total horsepower would/could be... and even what kind of 1/4 or 0-60 times i could expect? (I've chosen these mods because they don't add any extra loud noise to the car.. am i even right in thinking that?)

- RT Catalytic Converter

anything else that i could add that wouldnt add any noise to the car? (I live in a very, very quiet neighborhood and dont want other people knowing about any mods)

Scrap the Jet ECU. It's been found that it doesn't do much if anything at all.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:44 PM

CAI from Cattman comes with a K&N filter attached. as for noise, it depends on you. Right now, your car as it is, is quiet. When you floor it, it gets noisy, right?? Well, the CAI is the same way. When you cruising, no one will know you have a CAI, it is just as quiet as stock. Floor it and the car gets loud, only this time, real loud, but its worth it because it gives the car more real power.

RT CAT, no increase in noise.

ECU, don't know, and I think the ECU is not available for your car anyhow, I beleive the ECU only works on 95-96 Maximas only.

UDP. No increase in noise. It's just a pulley.

Since your concern is noise you should stay away from Aftermarket mufflers. They will increase the engine noises significantly. Keeping the stock muffler will keep the noise at bay.

I'm planing on adding a Y pipe to finish off my setup. Since I have no other exhaust upgrades, like b pipe and muffler, the exhaust noise will not increase significantly, but it will increase. Well worth it considering the power gains.

Hope this helps.

DW

- RT Catalytic Converter

Old 05-29-2001, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: expected horsepower gains from...

Originally posted by deezo

is that just for that brand, or all ECU's in general? according to their (jet performance) website it adds +15 horsepower by:

Non Turbo Applications...Reworked ignition and fuel curves from 1500 RPM to Wide Open Throttle, increased rev limits where necessary.

can anyone comment? are there other ECU's that i should look into?
Old 05-29-2001, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: expected horsepower gains from...

Originally posted by deezo

is that just for that brand, or all ECU's in general? according to their (jet performance) website it adds +15 horsepower by:

Non Turbo Applications...Reworked ignition and fuel curves from 1500 RPM to Wide Open Throttle, increased rev limits where necessary.

Old 05-29-2001, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: expected horsepower gains from...

I actually can't go into great detail and I think the post may be deleted now. There was a org member that bought a Jet ECU and found out from Rob (of GForce) that the Jet ECU doesn't do anything to increase horsepower. If I can find the post, I will post it here.