4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Experience With PowerCoating Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM

Experience With PowerCoating Rims

Hey,

was in da markin for some new rims and tires ( cuz my current tires are BALD..i pull off from a turn goin even a wee bit too fast and my wheels will spin ) ...and was lookin at some black rims with a chrome lip....but then came across a product for power coating your rims to whatever color you want....now im the type of person, i want the best thing on my car so i never have to REALLY replaced it cept if i want to, so does powder coatin your chrome rims make a super difference against rims already black with a chrome lip....and is it something one can do himself
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 PM

huh
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 PM

First,

Second, I think you need to learn what powDercoating is to begin with. I dont know what kind of "difference" you are looking for, its just a way to paint things. Google is your friend
Old 09-30-2005, 07:45 AM
VK56 Inside

You will not be able to do this yourself. Powder Coating is a process. First what ever metal (yes, only metal can be done) you want powder coated has to be negatively charged so the powder coat will stick to it. Then you have to bake it at about 400 degrees to set the powder coating. I doubt it will be cheap enough to justify just doing your rims. Take them to a professional place and have it done if thats the way you want to go.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Boosted Panda

I just had my wheels powder coated to black. They were white factory painted white before.
Powder coating is more durable then paint.
The process will consist of them sand blasting the prevoius material thats on them, this also cleans the very well.
After that, the do powder coating process that consists of the details Dubbya described.
The finished product has the same exterior shine as paint, it is just more durable.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:28 AM

by more durable ( and by the way, it was 2 in the mornin i think when i posted, sue me for forgetting the D ) wat exactly do you mean? less prone to flake off or somethin like that?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:52 AM
VK56 Inside

Powder coating is just generally more resistant to scratches and chips. Its a lot harder than paint. Flaking is due to bad prep or cheap/incorrect paint.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
deoncollins69

Actually this can be done but it takes a few unique items and a imaginative person to do it. You can buy the powder coating gun for about 125$. The powder is about 15$ for a 2-3 pound box. A cheap sand blaster is 25$. Now if you blast all the paint and clear off the next process is easy. Make a 5*5*5 skeleton frame of a box and put a hook dead center of the top of the box. Use a hook with machine threads and put 2 nuts on the top of the box so you can put a wrench on the nut to turn the hook from outside the box. This will allow you to coat the wheels with out moving the gun around the wheel. You will instead move the wheel and keep the gun in place. Wrap the box with thick mill plastic. Seal it well accept for one side. triple slot that side in three different place and three layers. This will allow you to put the gun through and still move it up and down. Hang the wheel and then spray.
Or you could just buy the gun and spray in your garage. open air and all. But this will be a hell of a mess. And of coarse use a very good mask this dust will mess you up good.
Once you have sprayed the wheel or part you can touch it in a few minutes. It will harden up fast.
Now the for the hardening all you have to do is get a very cheap junky but operable oven. The top is not needed just the oven. You can get a crap oven a garage sale for about 25-50$. heat it to 400 and set the wheel in for an hour or so.

Wallah!! you got power coating as long as the parts fit in the oven. For 200$ you can coat almost everything on your car that will fit in the oven.

Now I realize this is an investment and a little work but if you really want the powder coating go for it. We did my brothers frame and it is the ****.
For those of you that have a shop and want to do bigger parts you can buy ultraviolet lights and bake the powder in your shop for three hours or so. but you will need lights to cover the whole area. And the cost is higher for the lights.

Have fun

Old 09-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Here......
http://www.stivermotorsports.com/id39.htm
Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Team Ramrod

Well... I tried to put what you said into english Scooobay and to answer your question IMO, that's something you should have professionally done. Your rims came out really good FLAVOR_24/7, as usual, your car looks sick. How much did you pay to have those done?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
Well... I tried to put what you said into english Scooobay and to answer your question IMO, that's something you should have professionally done. Your rims came out really good FLAVOR_24/7, as usual, your car looks sick. How much did you pay to have those done?

Thanks, the powder coating ran 430.00
It usually cheaper then that but I wanted to keep the polished lip and many Co's in my area wouldnt do it becasue they claimed it was too much effort to tape off that section. The one Co. The one I did find charged 30.00 bux extra.
So basicly its 100 per wheel.