4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'95 SE Electrical problems...still

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:52 PM

'95 SE Electrical problems...still

Car : 1995 Maxima SE, Auto, 137K miles

Symptoms : Eletrical short drains battery, low rpm studdering, will die at stoplight

I had the charging system tested and came back clean, just a low battery. Had the battery charged, an Optima yellow top, and was fine for a while. I only drive on the weekends as I take the subway to work. Come the weekend, the car is hard to start. Put it into reverse, and it dies. Get it on the road and it studders and/or dies at low rpm, or at stoplights.

Next day, try to start it and battery is dead. I drove around for a while at speed to charge the battery the day before. Checked the lights, none were left on, all the dors were closed, and the trunk was closed. I bring out a starter battery pack, and it gives the short alarm. I have a nice stereo in the car (never had a problem in the years I had it), so pull all the fuses from the battery back. Still have a short. Next I start with the fuse panel and pull each and every one. Still have a short.

So it would seem that I have a short confined to the engine bay. Doing a little internet searches "seems" to point to a bad alternator. Other than getting the alternator and battery replaced, are they any other things I can check for? I have limited space in the complex parking lot, so I can't really drop the engine. Suggestions?

Poirot
Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Do the battery and brake lights come on in the instrument cluster (while the car is running)?

It sounds like a bad alternator to me.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Do the battery and brake lights come on in the instrument cluster (while the car is running)?

It sounds like a bad alternator to me.
When she is running, no lights cept the air bag. But I think that is a long standing issue.

Lovejoy
Old 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lovejoy
When she is running, no lights cept the air bag. But I think that is a long standing issue.

Lovejoy
Did you check the alternator belt?
Since you only use the vehicle on the weekends try charging the battery, then disconnect it for the week. If its a good battery it should hold the charge.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mrbizness1
Did you check the alternator belt?
Since you only use the vehicle on the weekends try charging the battery, then disconnect it for the week. If its a good battery it should hold the charge.
The belt looks fine. I didn't think to unhook the ground to preserve the battery. But then again, it dosen't really fix it.

Lovejoy
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 AM

How can I know alternator is the source of this issue: ABS light comes on first and then the car stopping suddenly while I am driving or waiting at the traffice light.

But, then after a jump start it runs fine.

I need to find what part is causing me trouble as my dealer could not help.

I checked with Autozone/Napa and they said alternator and battery are good.

Please help.