4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Apexi WS exhaust: pics and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got my Apexi WS cat-back exhaust installed today. I took a few pics of the exhaust. This exhaust is just perfect IMO. No more of the terrible, loud droning sound from my cheap universal exhaust. I highly recommend this exhaust, especially if you have a y-pipe. It will quiet things down considerably. When I had my universal exhaust, when I'm just cruising at low rpms, I would get this very annoying droning sound. I don't have that anymore with the Apexi exhaust. I can see why some people say that the WS exhaust is too quiet, especially if you don't have a y-pipe. Even with the y-pipe, it's not loud at all. You can still hear a deep tone, but it's not the annoying tone you get on some exhaust.

I got a question for those of you who have an Apexi WS exhaust on. Do you notice any gains? Any differences at the low or high end? I haven't really test out the exhaust fully because I just got it installed today. I would think that with this exhaust, I should able to gain a few hp?

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Maxima/exhaust.jpg

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Maxima/exhaust2.jpg

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Maxima/exhaust3.jpg
Old 05-29-2001, 05:17 PM

I got mine

I just got mine installed on friday and I love it. It has a nice sound and is not annoying. I took my b pipe off and it had a dent going into the muffler, so it was good I replaced it. I have not noticed any power gains, but the car runs smoother it seems.

R
Old 05-29-2001, 05:44 PM

Looks Great, Mabye you should Dyno this Friday? Or at least go to the drags this Sunday.

Dont tell me you had Sonic Boom put it on for you? How much did they charge ya? I'd a dunn it for a few doughnuts!!!
Old 05-29-2001, 05:46 PM

man oh man!!! i love it, i would take that exhaust over greddy sp anyday. so tired of greddy sp since its been around so long (5+yrs) LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

http://cumalot.homestead.com/files/Maxima/exhaust3.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2001, 06:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I've heard that Just the exhaust will lose a tad bit of low end. It would be cool to see a dyno though.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I just got my Apexi WS cat-back exhaust installed today. I took a few pics of the exhaust. This exhaust is just perfect IMO. No more of the terrible, loud droning sound from my cheap universal exhaust. I highly recommend this exhaust, especially if you have a y-pipe. It will quiet things down considerably. When I had my universal exhaust, when I'm just cruising at low rpms, I would get this very annoying droning sound. I don't have that anymore with the Apexi exhaust. I can see why some people say that the WS exhaust is too quiet, especially if you don't have a y-pipe. Even with the y-pipe, it's not loud at all. You can still hear a deep tone, but it's not the annoying tone you get on some exhaust.

I got a question for those of you who have an Apexi WS exhaust on. Do you notice any gains? Any differences at the low or high end? I haven't really test out the exhaust fully because I just got it installed today. I would think that with this exhaust, I should able to gain a few hp?

hey, what kind of universal exhaust did you have before? thanks
Old 05-29-2001, 07:12 PM

Where did you order the Apexi ?

Old 05-29-2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_

hey, what kind of universal exhaust did you have before? thanks

I had a Focuz brand universal exhaust. It kind of look like a 5Zigen Fireball exhaust.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by skimax
man oh man!!! i love it, i would take that exhaust over greddy sp anyday. so tired of greddy sp since its been around so long (5+yrs) LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks skimax. Your car already looks great. I bet if you get this exhaust, your car would look even better.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:35 PM

were they good and stuff with packaging and stuff ?? come on time ? how long ??

Old 05-29-2001, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by matty
were they good and stuff with packaging and stuff ?? come on time ? how long ??

It came in pretty good condition. However, the box wasn't perfect. Under the box, there's a part where a piece of the exhaust(hanger) poke through the box. It likely UPS's fault. UPS isn't really great handling stuff on occassion. Although, there was no damages to the exhaust.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:45 PM

How long did it take to come ??
Old 05-29-2001, 07:51 PM

How long did it take to come ??

WTH? Where's my two posts went?

Anyway, it took about one week to come. I posted this already, but I don't know where the heck the post went. I ordered it through Rollhard performance. I ordered it through a group deal, paid $400 shipped.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Looks Great, Mabye you should Dyno this Friday? Or at least go to the drags this Sunday.

Dont tell me you had Sonic Boom put it on for you? How much did they charge ya? I'd a dunn it for a few doughnuts!!!

Darn board is acting up again. I posted this already, but don't know where the heck the post went.

Anyway, I would like go dyno with you Friday. I never did a dyno, so I don't know what to expect.

No, I didn't bring it to Sonic Boom. A friend and I installed it. He lives near me, so it's more convenience to ask him to help. Plus, he got all the cool tools! Make the job much easier.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:00 PM

alright kewl...ill probably be ordering it soon if my pop pops lets me...cause insurance is paying for a new resonator and muffler from nissan might as well get an exhaust but i have to see if i can talk him into it...hes not to gunhoe about the idea..he gets all emotional with insurance things...but ill talk to the body shop and see what he thinks..

Old 05-29-2001, 08:39 PM

Thanks skimax. Your car already looks great. I bet if you get this exhaust, your car would look even better.
hehe, but i already have the greddy EVO muffler which is a similar tip but slightly bigger...
Old 05-29-2001, 10:23 PM

How did you install the exhaust? I have a couple of jackstands and a floor jack. But where do you place the floor jack when lifting the rear. And, if I understand, the jackstands should be placed at the jack stand points right?
Old 05-30-2001, 07:44 AM
tiedyemaxima

I love it man. I was thinking about getting an exhaust on my car. I looked and found the Apexi WS and i asked around and people said it was not really loud at all. I want to get it on my car but i do not want to be to loud when driving down the road i want it to look and sound nice. I guess this is the way to go but i am still not sure yet.

Old 05-30-2001, 08:09 AM

hey mardigrasmax

you wouldn't happen to be coming down to lighning motorsports this friday to dyno? i talked to Dalton and he told me that some Max's were coming in for a dyno. i'll be there on friday to have my rear Koni's adjusted. let me know b/c i want to stay around for the Dyno.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by tiedyemaxima
I love it man. I was thinking about getting an exhaust on my car. I looked and found the Apexi WS and i asked around and people said it was not really loud at all. I want to get it on my car but i do not want to be to loud when driving down the road i want it to look and sound nice. I guess this is the way to go but i am still not sure yet.
I feel the same way...dont know yet
Old 05-30-2001, 08:48 AM

Re: hey mardigrasmax

Originally posted by seven
you wouldn't happen to be coming down to lighning motorsports this friday to dyno? i talked to Dalton and he told me that some Max's were coming in for a dyno. i'll be there on friday to have my rear Koni's adjusted. let me know b/c i want to stay around for the Dyno.
I got the 3-4pm slot. I should get their @2pm or so.

See ya their!
Old 05-30-2001, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: hey mardigrasmax

cool! i'll definitely be there.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:49 AM

Get It

You will not be sorry as it sounds great! I don't sound all buzzy like the hondas around here. Email this guy for prices and availability.

jayturbo@unitel.co.kr

I'm sure he can do 400 shipped as I got mine for 400 shipped without a group deal.

R
Old 05-30-2001, 10:55 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

What the ****?
steve your on crack. you need to calm down.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-30-2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by SillePimp

How did you install the exhaust? I have a couple of jackstands and a floor jack. But where do you place the floor jack when lifting the rear. And, if I understand, the jackstands should be placed at the jack stand points right?

Well, a friend and I installed the exhaust. He runs a small garage shop and he has a lift. So, there's no need to use the floor jack and jack stands. Another friend of mine installed his exhaust this way: he use two floor jacks, one to lift up each side, then he placed the jack stands on the rear axle beam of each side. Then he installed the exhaust piece by piece. I gave him a little helping hand to make it easier. It's pretty hard, not sure even possible to install an exhaust by yourself.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:39 PM

It's pretty hard, not sure even possible to install an exhaust by yourself.
I could do it for a doughnut or two.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:45 PM

hehe, but i already have the greddy EVO muffler which is a similar tip but slightly bigger...
So, why you said you're tired of the Greddy SP? I thought you had that exhaust. Anyway, I like the look of the Greddy EVO exhaust. Too bad there's no cat-back unit for it.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

I could do it for a doughnut or two.
I'll keep that in mind next time. I thought you still dealing with your new house. That's why I didn't wanted to bother you. And Keith had helped me a few times already. So, I thought this time I shouldn't bother you guys. My friend helped me out, but problem is that he isn't in town very often. He has a business elsewhere. So, I'll probably call on you guys if he's not in town.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:11 PM

From the looks, I like the Greddy SP just a little more than the Apexi. On the Greddy, the edge of the tip on the exhaust is folded in, giving it a more rounded look. On the Apexi, it looks like just a straight cut (less work I suppose). This makes the tip's edge look thin. But overall, the Apexi would probably be the better choice in terms of noise level.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:37 AM

alright kewl...ill probably be ordering it soon if my pop pops lets me...cause insurance is paying for a new resonator and muffler from nissan might as well get an exhaust but i have to see if i can talk him into it...hes not to gunhoe about the idea..he gets all emotional with insurance things...but ill talk to the body shop and see what he thinks..

why would u guys say that you would get the apexi ws instead of the greddy cat back.... you dont like how greddy is ??
Old 09-29-2001, 09:44 AM

CUMALOT: goodluck with the exhaust, looks sweet on the car!! now im pi$$ed i had a custom cat-back made for my car :/