4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

loud rear scrapping noise from rear brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:00 PM

loud rear scrapping noise from rear brakes??

Well i let the girlfriend bower the ride today. anways a long story short, she came home and said it sounds like the car it dragging soemthign after she hits the brakes like a loud scraping noise, andways i had a chance to drive it definitely a loud noise comming from the rear brakes, but its only comes on after i hit the breaks to slow down or stop anways any suggestions could it be the squealers on the pads, im lost the pads have like 2mm left so it caould be them but its not a squealer noise but a loud scrape like im dragging soemthing metal but obviously i checked the undercarigae to see if there was anything and there isn't jsut a loud damn noise after i hit the breaks, any ehlp would be appreciated and is chanign the rear pads the same process as changing the front pads???
Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many miles on your Max? If you are near 100k, it's probably time for replacing the rear pads. You could also have a sticking rear parking brake cable. You would have to disconnect the cables and then try the brakes.
I had to replace one cable after I did the rear brakes. You hear the brakes squeal after you release the pedal. They are quite a pain to replace. Good luck!!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:35 PM

oh damn thanks man, ya i got like 98k on the max, is there a DIY article on how to change the rear brakes and the cable
Old 10-08-2005, 08:53 PM

if u have a bad scraping noise, you may have to change the rotors as well. it may be that the pad has worn down all the way to the metal part and is scraping against the rotor. if your calipers are seized then u'll need to change those as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by achebee4you
Well i let the girlfriend bower the ride today. anways a long story short, she came home and said it sounds like the car it dragging soemthign after she hits the brakes like a loud scraping noise, andways i had a chance to drive it definitely a loud noise comming from the rear brakes, but its only comes on after i hit the breaks to slow down or stop anways any suggestions could it be the squealers on the pads, im lost the pads have like 2mm left so it caould be them but its not a squealer noise but a loud scrape like im dragging soemthing metal but obviously i checked the undercarigae to see if there was anything and there isn't jsut a loud damn noise after i hit the breaks, any ehlp would be appreciated and is chanign the rear pads the same process as changing the front pads???
How long ago did the pads have 2mm? Thats almost worn out. The breaks probably went metal to metal while she was driving it. Get some new pads and rotors. If you don't replace the rotors you probably get some pretty nasty squealing.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by aznsap
if u have a bad scraping noise, you may have to change the rotors as well. it may be that the pad has worn down all the way to the metal part and is scraping against the rotor. if your calipers are seized then u'll need to change those as well.
its a bad scrapingnoise but i jsut drove and this time there isn't a noise, its wierd, i get a lil scrapping noise on the rear right brake but it wasn't as loud as it was, im totally confused
Old 10-08-2005, 09:31 PM

The warning metal tabs I've seen come on w/a few mm of meat left on the pads. Mind as well take the assembly apart and inspect. While you're in there, clean/lube up the guide pins too. And check the parking brake mechanism, sometimes they don't release properly. There's a TSB on that.

Jae
Old 10-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
The warning metal tabs I've seen come on w/a few mm of meat left on the pads. Mind as well take the assembly apart and inspect. While you're in there, clean/lube up the guide pins too. And check the parking brake mechanism, sometimes they don't release properly. There's a TSB on that.

Jae
thanks, i understand that the metal tabs start sqeulign however i can't explain how it was loud as hell one time than after letting it sit for like a coupel house i drive it again and the is isn't making the same loud noise only a slight one as stated earlier., and im not too familar with taking apart brake assemblies ive doen them to integras not maximas is it difficult to replace to rear pads and rotors i havn't found a diy article only for the fronts??
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 PM

its a bad scrapingnoise but i jsut drove and this time there isn't a noise, its wierd, i get a lil scrapping noise on the rear right brake but it wasn't as loud as it was, im totally confused
What is sounds like to me, is the parking brake cable on the rear right brake is binding and not releasing when you take you foot off the brake. You need to buy a haynes manual on your max. That will have the pics and procedures you need to fix the car.
If the cable is binding then it had been dragging the rear pad on the rotor causing it wear. I had about 100k on my max when this conditon started on my 99. I had to replace the pads and the rear right parking brake cable. I didn't replace the rotors and I regret that. Now I need to replace the right rear rotor because it squeals when I backup the car only. Just annoying!!
Just put the car on jacks and look at the brakes. You can loosen the main parking brake cable at the brake handle and then remove the rear cables from the calpiers. Then try braking and remember you have no parking brake until you connect them back. If the noise is gone, you have a binding brake cable. Hope this helps!!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:13 PM

What in the world are you people feeding this poor guy. Both front and back OE brake pads are equipped with early warning tabs which squeel to let you know that its almost time to change the pads. They will squeal more and more when the time is coming near but it doesnt mean that you need to change your rotors.. Also, the only reason you would need to change your rotors would be if they were warped, and the sign for that would be a very agressive vibration when the brakes are applied.

Lastly, Brake pads are changed regularly not based on how many miles you have
Old 10-08-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by PLUMMAXSE
What is sounds like to me, is the parking brake cable on the rear right brake is binding and not releasing when you take you foot off the brake. You need to buy a haynes manual on your max. That will have the pics and procedures you need to fix the car.
If the cable is binding then it had been dragging the rear pad on the rotor causing it wear. I had about 100k on my max when this conditon started on my 99. I had to replace the pads and the rear right parking brake cable. I didn't replace the rotors and I regret that. Now I need to replace the right rear rotor because it squeals when I backup the car only. Just annoying!!
Just put the car on jacks and look at the brakes. You can loosen the main parking brake cable at the brake handle and then remove the rear cables from the calpiers. Then try braking and remember you have no parking brake until you connect them back. If the noise is gone, you have a binding brake cable. Hope this helps!!
thanks luckily its an auto not a manual the pads are def low so ill replace them, thanks for your help, woult it be ok to jsut not use my parking break since its an auto and only use it while parking on a hill/ slant?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:15 PM

please read my post..
Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
What in the world are you people feeding this poor guy. Both front and back OE brake pads are equipped with early warning tabs which squeel to let you know that its almost time to change the pads. They will squeal more and more when the time is coming near but it doesnt mean that you need to change your rotors.. Also, the only reason you would need to change your rotors would be if they were warped, and the sign for that would be a very agressive vibration when the brakes are applied.

hey thanks for ur input im not sure about the rotors they don't have much scarring in em and they don't seem warped id rather not change the rotors b/c im knd of broke can anyone suggest a decent brake pad, im mean the rears are only accountable for 20% of the braking so i jsut need a reliable quiet one, right? my max is just a daily driver ya know.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 PM

oe works best
Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM

oe works best
so buy the pads from the dealer?

or can i get an oe from like pepboys or advanced?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:28 PM

dealer if you have the mone, pepboys i dont know if they have oe parts.?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:19 AM

dealer if you have the mone, pepboys i dont know if they have oe parts.?

Some places have lifetime pads, just buy them onces and bring them in the next time they wear down and get the agin for free. Auto Zone does this, Maybe CSK or Pepboys. Nissan does not.

And even if the noise goes away, just take off the back wheels ( I took mine off today, 5 minutes even with a floor jack & the tire iron from my spare), guessing & listening will only do so much.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ryant35
Some places have lifetime pads, just buy them onces and bring them in the next time they wear down and get the agin for free. Auto Zone does this, Maybe CSK or Pepboys. Nissan does not.

And even if the noise goes away, just take off the back wheels ( I took mine off today, 5 minutes even with a floor jack & the tire iron from my spare), guessing & listening will only do so much.

thanks im gonna replace the rear pads, i just hope it isn't too hard, what type of greese shoule i use both on the metal plate and inside the i think its called " im not sure but there are two of them on the brake assembly
Old 10-09-2005, 02:37 AM

You don't know what you have until you LOOK at the brakes! Just bringing up what Could be the problem. This guy needs a repair manual
Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 AM

well i looked at it the rear right is down to the metal and the rear left has a lot of meat on it, and when i try to replace the rear right the caliper won't move?? any sugg? refer to my update post.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM

did you unbolt the caliper from the assembly? Also make sure the handbrake isnt on
Old 10-09-2005, 08:18 AM

yea, someone is telling me that to loosen the piston i have to turn it clockwise?? is that true and what tool do i use??
Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM

yea, someone is telling me that to loosen the piston i have to turn it clockwise?? is that true and what tool do i use??
There is a tool that you can buy at the auto parts store for about $8.00 to screw in the caliper. Just ask the auto parts guys. Tell them you are fitting a Max rear brake. Pretty sure you turn it clockwise. Just be sure you don't tear the rubber seal while turning it. Make sure you replace pads on both sides. When you disengage the parking brake cable you will be able to feel if it is binding. The left rear side is all right so use that one as guidance for how it should feel.

Both your pads should wear evenly. Either the calpier froze or the parking brake cable was binding and not releasing the calpier all the way.