4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How hard is it to replace bad throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How hard is it to replace bad throwout bearing?

So i've pretty much concluded that my throwout bearing is bad in the max. Symptoms include inability to shift into gear when car is moving, no leaky fluid, normal clutch feel and complete fustraition because i have a concert 2 hours away to go to on thursday (with my roomate who doesn't have a car). So i really need to get my max back to running shape. So anyone done this? I did a total engine swap in my old max (automatic) so i am not a stranger under the hood, but i've never done anything with a manual transmission. So i was wondering if anyone know's how long this will take me to fix. As far as i know the bearing is about 35 bucks and thats all i need, is that correct or am i missing something? Aside from that anything i should look out for? Its just a matter of taking the tranny apart from the engine and putting in the new bearing correct? Thanx in advance, any help would be appreciated (i have the haynes manual and the PDF mechanics manual but i lost my damn chiltons)...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM

It's easy....once you get the tranny off.

You might as well replace your clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced while you're in there.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:42 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

it's pretty easy. take off the tranny, and the throwout bearing will be right on the input shaft. make sure you put some red grease between the bearing and the input shaft. While you have the tranny off the engine, you can check the status of your clutch, and replace it if you need, it's kind of a PITA to remove and put back the tranny. This should take you a few hours, maybe an hour with good tools.

-Freddy
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM

Well i have good tools, and my clutch isn't even a year old so i'm not replacing it (plus i'm broke). So this will be a budget job.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:57 AM
SLOW

If you can take the trans off its like a 2 minute operation after you get the trans off.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not too bad

I'm in Auto Tech school know and the hardest part is gettin ght tools, and the time to take the tranny out. If you have any exact questions just reply and I will be happy to help.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Well i did it, i took my tranny apart and got to the bearing, it didn't look too bad but it definitely looked worse than my new one so i was like cool this must be it, put everything back together (took me about 11 hours of work straight through non stop to do it all, and when i got done, nothing! I still have the same problem.... So surfice to say i was pretty pissed, and it looks as if its not my throwout bearing at all thats the problem. What i do think (and hope) it is, is the slave cylinder. I think its just not pushing the throwout bearing completely as hard as it should be. It does move it but i don't think its moving it enough, could that be it? Seems like the only other thing i could think of.... neither my master or slave cylinder is losing any fluid so (shrug). What do you think does that sound right, if you so it sucks bad cause i basically did all that work for nothing.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

did u happen to have an Exedy clutch set installed?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:07 PM

It'll take about an hour to remove the tranny if your car is on lifts and you are using airtools. Double that if your car is on jack stands and you are using hand tools. After the tranny is out, everything else is easy.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM

That really sucks! Next time make sure to trouble shoot more thoroughly and look at the easier things first. Have s/o else press the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder puch the fork to see if there is enough movement. Bleed the slave also. It is very possible that you have a leak but you dont see it. SC under the boot or MC slught leak not giving enough pressure. If you bleed it it should work fine and if the same symptons come back you have a leak somewhere.

How many miles are on your car?

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
Well i did it, i took my tranny apart and got to the bearing, it didn't look too bad but it definitely looked worse than my new one so i was like cool this must be it, put everything back together (took me about 11 hours of work straight through non stop to do it all, and when i got done, nothing! I still have the same problem.... So surfice to say i was pretty pissed, and it looks as if its not my throwout bearing at all thats the problem. What i do think (and hope) it is, is the slave cylinder. I think its just not pushing the throwout bearing completely as hard as it should be. It does move it but i don't think its moving it enough, could that be it? Seems like the only other thing i could think of.... neither my master or slave cylinder is losing any fluid so (shrug). What do you think does that sound right, if you so it sucks bad cause i basically did all that work for nothing.