4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange happening during seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Strange happening during seafoam.

I had my brother inside bliping the gas while I had the vacuum hose sucking it in. While it was slowly sucking it in the smoke started to pour out the back, but then i noticed that there was a little smoke coming from the rear of the engine!I was like WTF. I really don't remember this happening last year when I did it. The car runs well. Idles rock solid and seems quieter/smoother than before, but after seeing the smoke come from somwhere in the engine bay during the process, I am kinda nervous. I could not see exactly where the smoke was originating from.It was nowhere near the amount pouring from the back, but still, it was noticable. Anyone?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:39 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
I had my brother inside bliping the gas while I had the vacuum hose sucking it in. While it was slowly sucking it in the smoke started to pour out the back, but then i noticed that there was a little smoke coming from the rear of the engine!I was like WTF. I really don't remember this happening last year when I did it. The car runs well. Idles rock solid and seems quieter/smoother than before, but after seeing the smoke come from somwhere in the engine bay during the process, I am kinda nervous. I could not see exactly where the smoke was originating from.It was nowhere near the amount pouring from the back, but still, it was noticable. Anyone?
ya some people said their car smoked alot, and some said they didnt see much smoke.

When i did it, it wasnt as bad as the smoke in some of the pictures i saw.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Did you car smoke a little under the hood as well? thats what I am talking about.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:46 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Maybe it was coming back under your car and up through the engine bay from the exhaust?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

Or maybe, just a CRAZY idea.... there is a leak somewhere ? Don't some people use the seafoam to check for leaks ? (At least I heard some do that)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Oh ****. You said the L word. I was really hoping that was not it. But I could not see any definative place where the smoke was coming from. If everything is correct, there should NEVER be any smoke coming from around the engine bay durring a seafoam treatment unless there is a leak? Argh. If there is a leak, that means its robbing me of power!!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 PM

you shouldnt see it anywhere but out of the exhaust if you see it anywhere else, they maybe a leak there.

I recall seeing some smoke undermy hood when I first seafoamed (about a year ago) thought I might have a leak but never investigated. Everything still smooth a year later.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:17 PM

deezy- how bad was the smoke? Do you think that you car is at a major deficiency right now because it might have a leak? How the hell can I find the damn leak? It just seamed to be coming somewhere from the rear of the bay. I dont' want to run another seafoam through tthe engine again. Just how bad is having an exaust leak? Should I not worry about it if the car still pulls hard and idles smooth? I was always told that "if you have an exaust leak- you'll know it", the car will run like ****.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM

smoke wasnt that bad, but it was noticable. My car ran like a champ afterwards, a few days later after not noticing anything wrong or a cel I let it be until something happened. . . which it never did.

If you had a leak it should produce an odd sound, starting the car, and revving the engine while your underthere and listening should help you determine where it is. I think you probably dont have a serious one and will be fine leaving it alone for now but keeping and eyeon the situation. You said your car is running excellent, leave it be but keep and eye on it.

there may be a produc to help expose leaks but I wouldnt know of one. maybe fluids section could help.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Deezy, I really don't hear anything odd when starting the car.It sounds perfect. When you sit in it with the windows up idling, you can barely tell its running. When I rev the enigine, with the windows down, I hear an air wooshing sound, but i just attribute that to the intake sucking up air. (stock intake with a k and n drop in)
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

You are obviously leaking the the smoke from somewhere from where it's formed to where it's leaking. Not rocket science. Could be leak at a flange, or the flex section. But more likely at an exhaust flange.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:38 AM

You press the gas and have a vaccum cleaner on the exhaust? I'm confused, why do you guys do this?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Wind probably blew the smoke back under the car and it came up into the engine compartment. Don't worry about it, if your exhaust was leaking, you'd hear it.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:12 AM

yea... dont know what seafoam is and why u use a vacuum?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Happened to me (some smoke coming from under the engine), but I know my flex is messed up - did it on my mom's Civic and nothing came up from under the engine
Originally Posted by mizmo21
yea... dont know what seafoam is and why u use a vacuum?
Because you need it