4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Strange Electrical problem

Driving around the past few days, in NJ, I noticed the following strange problem:

While driving the electrical output inside the car, radio, lights wiper, etc. goes very low, like a voltage drop right before the power goes out, so low that the lights severly dim, the radio goes off, the wipers slow down, etc. The car runs fine the RPMs are ok, and it is not stalling. The battery is about 2 or 3 years old, I replaced it I just don't remember when. Anybody have any idea what it could be? The problem is intermittent. I suspect the altenator? Since I always thought a dead battery looked fine until you tried to start the car. Anybody have a link how how to trouble shoot, or any first hand experience with a similar problem?

TIA,

Bill
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM

I would lean torwards altenator too. have a place do a quick battery test for you to be sure.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM

From what I have experienced and read here on the .org, an alternator problem on the 4th gen will almost always cause a brake light + battery light to come on eventually. My alternator dying caused the brake light to come on intermittently at first but then it came on with the battery light towards the end. Also, try to roll your windows down when this happens. Everything that is run off the battery will fail or not work right if the alternator is dying.....and I can't imagine this happening intermittently.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
From what I have experienced and read here on the .org, an alternator problem on the 4th gen will almost always cause a brake light + battery light to come on eventually. My alternator dying caused the brake light to come on intermittently at first but then it came on with the battery light towards the end. Also, try to roll your windows down when this happens. Everything that is run off the battery will fail or not work right if the alternator is dying.....and I can't imagine this happening intermittently.

When this happens all the "stuff" that runs off the battery, exhibits behavior as if there was very low power, this usually happens when stopped at a light. When I acclerate everything appears to go back to normal. Then the next time I stop, at a light everything is ok. Could it be a loose or worn drive belt? I have 75,000 miles and never changed them. Or could the alt be dying a slow death?

It just started the last week during the monsoon we are experiencing, I haven't driven through any deep puddles, but it did start during a heavy downpour. Drive belt then?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Check the tension on the alternator belt. More likely to slip when wet and when the car is loaded up electrically, i.e. wipers, lights, fan....on.
Check ground to engine block and car body for loose, corroded condition.