4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

maf? coils? injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 AM

maf? coils? injectors?

so my car randomly runs like ish out of nowhere. it'll be pulling strong, then just starts running like poo, like it's missing, or the MAF is fcuked up, or something. Any ideas what it could be? I've got 6 spare coils to try out, and a spare maf, but just seeing what you guys would think. Thought about IACV, so we cleaned that out, and it was cool for like 1.5 weeks, and then just today it just starts running like ish. any help would be appreciated
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by eckohb
so my car randomly runs like ish out of nowhere. it'll be pulling strong, then just starts running like poo, like it's missing, or the MAF is fcuked up, or something. Any ideas what it could be? I've got 6 spare coils to try out, and a spare maf, but just seeing what you guys would think. Thought about IACV, so we cleaned that out, and it was cool for like 1.5 weeks, and then just today it just starts running like ish. any help would be appreciated

Not to be a ****, but if you have the spare parts to try, why don't you do that then start the thread?? i think that would make more sense? Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:50 AM

Yeah, but Im lazy, and want to know what else it could be if it's not any of the parts that I have spare of. Thought maybe I could get a little info from others to see if I should be looking for something instead of doing other things that wont correct my problem
Old 10-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car has been running bad also lately. I am getting extreme hesitation with my acceleration. its almost if my car is stuck in 4th gear (auto) all the time. 95 gxe. when I accelerate, the RPM's go up slow and smooth... and if I press the gas moderately, there is almost no change... only when I floor the car does the car rev higher and go fast... almost like it is getting stuck. I am getting an oil change this week, maybe that will fix it. was wondering if it could be anything else though also.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:14 PM

How many miles on the car? Try what you have first. I've am having the same bad luck with coil packs and misfires. If its not the packs you may want to take your throtle body apart and clean it with TB cleaner, and check your EGR valve while your back there. And not to be a smart a$$ but when is the last time your plugs have been changed?? While your at it? Go out and get a Haynes manual for your car at most any auto parts store, its about 20.00. In there you will find a plethera of info like how to check your MAF with a multimeter to tell if its good or not. Takes the guess work out of some things.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:26 PM

you talking to me? my plugs have been changed twice in the past month. cleaned my tb and as much of the IM i could with TB cleaner. I've got two chilton manuals. I know how to do whatever, I was just curious if anyone had any other thoughts or ideas on what could be causing the problem based on previous experience.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:47 PM

we concluded its a dirty, or just bad injector. Tried like 3 bottles of injector cleaner, just because it was around the garage. I'll take it out tomorrow and replace it with a different one to see if anything is gained
Old 11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car is having a similar problem (97 SE, 185k). A few weeks ago it was hesitating/stalling on the expressway. I ran a container of gas cleaner, changed the fuel filter, and changed the plugs. Seemed to be fine until yesterday when it started stalling pretty suddenly while cruising at 70-80 mph. The check engine light came on after I had pulled over and the car stalled completely. I was able to re-start and limp it around town. After letting it sit, it ran fine on the way to the shop.

At the shop, they scanned the codes: P0100 (MAF) and P0325 (knock sensor). He cleared codes, ran it on the highway, and everything seems fine again. The codes did not come back.

The mechanic says he doesn't think it's the MAF because the MAF wouldn't fail intermittently.

Could it be the MAF? The knock sensor? What else?

I appreciate your help.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Sounds like the MAF to me... check the classifieds for a working used one... you don't want to know what they cost new

Don't worry about the knock sensor yet... replace the MAF, reset the ECU and then check for codes again in a few days (even if the CEL is off).. if you pull the P0325 as the ONLY code, then you need a knock sensor to...start with the MAF.