4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ksport dampening settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ksport dampening settings

I just installed my ksports last weekend and spent the whole week trying to get the dampening settings right, for my liking. I am having a hell of a time getting the car to ride properly. When I started off, I went with a soft front and rear. That resulted in a bouncy ride in the city and worse at higher speeds, on the highway.

So I slowly started adjusting the dampening harder and harder and now it rides great in the city but last night when I took it out on the highway at higher speeds, it was still bouncy! I now have the coilovers on almost full stiff front and rear (2.5 turns front and 3 turns rear)! Is that really how harsh the ride needs to be so that it does not bounce?

I would like to get others' personal opinion on what worked for them. I found that you can adjust upto 4 full turns from softest to hardest on these coilovers. I would like to see what you guys have your ksports set at front and rear. Should the front be harder than the rear, should it be softer than the rear or the same? What settings worked well for you guys?

FYI for preload, all I did was tighten the collar at the bottom of the spring to snug and then went 2 full turns from there... so I think that there is barely any preload on the springs. I hope that is not what is affecting the ride quality.

Any and all opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:09 AM

well, i have a tight 2 finger gap in the front and a tight 1 in the back...I have the front 1 turn softer then the rear. I found that the car is a bit more bouncy in the rear...I am probably going to add more dampening soon when I take out my sub. I want to loosen the preload because its a bit squeeky when they hit some bumps...are yours a bit noisy as well?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have absolutely no noises - no bumps, squeaks or rattles. I was pleasantly surprised in that respect and impressed with the ksports for that. Maybe the preload is partly to thank for that. I also torqued all bolts to spec, with a torque wrench.

I would think logically that you would want a harder rear end, with a front-heavy car... but it almost seems like the front end is what needs to be stiffened in order to stop the bouncy ride at high speeds. But I am not sure.