4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Very weird issue, I really need the .orgs help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very weird issue, I really need the .orgs help!

What's up guys. I have a '97 Auto with a VQ35 mated with '00VI and '00VI fuel equipment (Injectors, rail, etc.). I started the car up this morning started up fine, I have a rebuilt semi-bulletproof tranny with a trans. cooler. I let the car run for about 10 seconds, and put it in reverse it went back just fine, as soon as I put it in drive, the car started bogging BAD, the rpms would go down to 300 then back up to 1500, rapidly. As soon as the car was in Park, Neutral or Reverse the bogging would stop, as soon as the car was in a forward moving gear it would happen. I took it to my mechanic he said it might be the tranny, Tilley said it might be the tranny also. But here's the deal. The car is FINE now, it's shifting fine, downshifting fine, upshifting fine. It's idling fine. But why on earth was it acting up like that when it was cold? I will let it get cold again and try it out again. I spoke with Jeff from Maximum Tuning (They're the ones that rebuilt the trans.) and they said it sounds like it's an engine problem. I don't know though what do you guys think?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Custom User Title

I can tell you that it's not an engine problem, otherwise it wouldn't bog according to gear selection.

Swap it to a 5spd mang!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Agreed it has to be a trans issue if it acts up only in certain gears. Lets see what is does next time its cold and you start it up.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:02 AM

Well car sat from about 2-3 hours, temperature needle was at the "C" mark. As soon I started it not 1 second later I put in a forward moving gear... it was fine, tried reverse, park, neutral all fine. I immediatly shut off the car waiting for it to get a bit cooler.

But if it was tranny related would the tranny not act funny, like I said it's up shifting, downshifting doing everything it's suppossed to do just fine.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM

something is loose.i had that problem with a mazda 626 before and it was bogging very badly. i brought it back to the tranny place i went to and they said they left something loose...

sorry i cant be more help...just further supporting the theory that something is wrong with ur transmission.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Well the car has been sitting for a while, I started it up the car was cold the temp. needle was at the "C" mark or a little below, and as soon as I started it I put in a forward gear, it was fine. So I will check again tomorrow. Perhaps it was a one time thing.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
something is loose.i had that problem with a mazda 626 before and it was bogging very badly. i brought it back to the tranny place i went to and they said they left something loose...

sorry i cant be more help...just further supporting the theory that something is wrong with ur transmission.

What was loose? Was it immediatly after the tranny place put in the tranny?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:35 PM

It definately sounds like a transmission issue...Something electronically or sensor related...

Off topic, Do you have a build thread about your Maxima and the VQ35 swap? I'm interested...
Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sell it.... To many problems......
Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Sell it.... To many problems......

Although I do see where you are coming from, and believe me that thought has crossed my mind but the problems always seem to appease themselves.

I first had that cold start issue, since I've had the new IACV put in, I've so far (knock on wood) had no cold start issues.

I started the car up approximately 11PM tonight, it had been sitting a little over 6-7 hours, as soon as I started it not later than 2 seconds later I put her in a forward moving gear and it was fine. So knock on wood again it won't happen again.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 PM

**UPDATE**

It's definately the tranny I started it tonight 11:00PM or so it had been sitting for 9 hours or so. I didn't let the car warm up, it reversed fine, but when I put it in a forward gear it did feel a little weird. It's hard to describe, but here's what started happening. The car did start bogging BAD. And the car would not upshift or downshift, it was stuck in one gear, it felt like second. If I floored it, it would continue revving up in the same gear. This continued for a few minutes, and then all went to normal. WTF??? Is going on!?!? I'm hoping it's either the valve body, or solenoids which can be replaced within 1 day. As soon as it started acting normal everything else was normal, it would upshift, downshift, do everything just fine. But why is it acting like that when I first start driving after it's been sitting a while. Do sensors, or electrical things associated with the trans. act or respond differently when the car is cold? I'm going to go see Jeff @ Max. Tuning they're the ones that rebuilt it, I left him a message saying you will not be able to replicate the problem unless the car has been sitting for a while and it's cold. So I really need your guys help in pinpointed exactly what it can be.

Also when it was boggin the idle was low it was like 400 or a little less than that.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:27 AM

Anyone??? have any idea?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 AM

Well there are really are alot of variables here. If you are looking for an easy fix you might double check your vaccum hoses since these may adjust your idle speed relative to load (being in drive versus park/neutral) - I'm not as familiar with automatics and their idle adjustment scheme in Nissans - it may be all electronic (sensor-based) as far as I know. Check for any sensor codes if you haven't already. If you are still stumped, warm it up and drain/fill the tanny fluid - alternatively flush it using the radiator cooler hose method (see stickies). Check drain fluid for discoloration and debris. I would refill with Redline D4. Drive it a while and see if symptoms get better. Barring this I think your only alternative is to take it to a tranny professional to tare-down and check clearances.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by joecraps
Well there are really are alot of variables here. If you are looking for an easy fix you might double check your vaccum hoses since these may adjust your idle speed relative to load (being in drive versus park/neutral) - I'm not as familiar with automatics and their idle adjustment scheme in Nissans - it may be all electronic (sensor-based) as far as I know. Check for any sensor codes if you haven't already. If you are still stumped, warm it up and drain/fill the tanny fluid - alternatively flush it using the radiator cooler hose method (see stickies). Check drain fluid for discoloration and debris. I would refill with Redline D4. Drive it a while and see if symptoms get better. Barring this I think your only alternative is to take it to a tranny professional to tare-down and check clearances.
Well the fluid is literally brand new, I'm really hoping it's the solenoids, or valve body. Today the car was warmed up but not driven, initally for a little while the car did seem jerky and hesitant to shift. I'm 100% sure it's the tranny, and not vacuum related. Can solenoids, and or the valve body cause hesitations, and weird shifting? Again this is only happening initially once it's at normal operating temp. (the tranny fluid atleast), it shifts fine, upshifts fine, and downshifts fine.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Sorry to hear your problems man. I would have to say take it to the shop that did the tranny since it seems tranny related. I am sure they will be more than happy to warranty their work.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:44 PM

***MAJOR UPDATE*** I REALLY NEED THE ORGS HELP NOW!

Ok tonight I started driving the car while it was relatively cold, it started bogging, then it completely died, I started it up again, made it down my block where it died again! I parked the car put it in reverse, and it started bogging a little bit and the idle was REALLY low. I put the car in a Drive and it was extremely laggy and felt like it was in 3rd gear. After a few minutes all went back to normal WTF?!?!?!

One more thing, when coming to a stop and the car downshifts I feel the the tranny downshift inside the cabin, I've always felt it, but now I sort of feel it thru the brake pedal I don't know it's hard to describe, it's kind of like it clunks when it downshifts.

Also when shifting from park to drive, or reverse to drive, I hear the tranny go CLUNK. It's always done this and I've been under the impression that it is normal since it is running larger solenoids and high pressure, and bigger tranny pump etc, since it is a semi-bullet proof.

I've read hundreds of posts regarding people with tranny issues but most seem to be to no avail. I dished out a lot of money for this tranny and it's only been 2 and a half months and already it's giving me these problems, what do you guys think it might be?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 AM

Dump the tranny or the car...Ive had simialr issues with my 94camry...my old car piece of money sucking garbage....once tranny's go bad, there never the same..trust me
Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Well I spoke with another member here who had exactly the same symptoms as me, and it was his solenoids, which is an easy fix. So let's hope that that's it.