4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

best clutch!??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 PM

best clutch!??!?!

hey guys, my clutch went out on me 3 days ago. i just wanted to find out some opinions on a good replacement to the oem clutc. this is just going to be for general use, and reliability and long term use is preffered, as opposed to performance.

also how much is a good deal for a clutch replacement. the last time i had my clutch replaced it was 800 bills. from what i hear from friends, that was too much. please any kind of input would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:12 PM

I would recommend getting the 5th gen. OEM clutch kit. It grabs better than a stock 4th gen. clutch, and is a direct replacement. Taken directly from another thread:

The 5th gen. clutch setup is a DIRECT fit. If you're looking into this setup, you know that it provides better clamping force when compared to the 4th gen. setup. The 5th gen. Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate is what gives it that extra clamping force. (In previous threads, members have gotten the impression that they should be using the 4th gen. PP, and 5th gen. clutch disk. THIS WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY BETTER PERFORMANCE THAN THE REGULAR 4TH GEN SETUP!!!).
If you want the 5th gen. clutch setup, you need the 5th gen. Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate. This non-key value part number is: 30210-89F00. (This is the part # from a stock early model 2000-2001. They switched #'s part of the way through the 2000-2001 years, and as of now I don't know if anyone has tried the updated part, and therefore I don't have that part number). (edit: see bottom of post!!!)
You can choose to either buy the 4th gen. T.O. Bearing or the 5th gen T.O. Bearing. This part is known also as the release bearing. The p/n is 30502-41U20, and IIRC there is no difference between the bearings. (Feel free to shed some light on this).
You can also choose to use either the 4th gen. clutch disk or the 5th gen. clutch disk: THEY BOTH FIT IN THE 5th gen PP. JSutter used the 4th gen. clutch disk; p/n for 4th gen. clutch disk is: 30100-40U14 . Myself and 96stillenmax have the complete 5th gen. clutch setup, including disk. The p/n for the 5th gen. clutch disk is 30100-2Y904 .
When ordering, somehow the wrong stuff has been shipped. INSIST on these numbers, and/or ensure that they are sending you the correct kit. I'm unsure of whether or not the numbers have changed, but giving them the old numbers should yield a correct shipment.
Feel free to add onto this (any other O.G.'s of the fifth gen. setup...haha).

edit: I read through the original JSutter post, and found some info. on the different 5th gen. PP's. Dave B suggests the early model Pressure Plate, the p/n listed above, instead of the later PP due to the early one being thicker.

Here is the original thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&page=1&pp=30

Labor for a clutch replacement should be about 6 hours, so multiply your mech's rate by that amount of time.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

to everything biglou said. As long as you have an n/a max, the 5th gen OEM clutch is the way to go. All those aftermarket performance clutches are overkill, the oem clutch grips more than enough for an n/a max and will last longer than any of those aftermarket clutches.

A good place to order these parts is from http://www.pinnaclenissan.com/ they have great prices.

or

you can take their prices, or the prices from jerryromenissan.com to your local nissan dealer and they will order them and sell them to you at those prices. Total cost should be just under $200. $800 for a total job is a lot considering I get my clutches replaced for $460 (that includes disc, pp, to bearing, resurfaced flywheel and all labor). Where are you located? If you are on the west coast in the bay area contact Turbo95Max, he does really good work.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when the clutch does go bad, can you replace just the clutch disc? i have an act stage1 right now and just out of curious or if my clutch goes bad down the road, can i just buy a 5th gen clutch disk (part#=30100-2Y904 provided by big lou above) and keep the act pressure plate?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 PM

i have the full 5th gen setup and havent had a chance to put it in yet. But eckohb also got the full 5th gen setup and we installed it together two weeks ago and it grips AWSOME and feels AWSOME i really cant wait to get mine in

-Ryan
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by aznsap
when the clutch does go bad, can you replace just the clutch disc? i have an act stage1 right now and just out of curious or if my clutch goes bad down the road, can i just buy a 5th gen clutch disk (part#=30100-2Y904 provided by big lou above) and keep the act pressure plate?
I wouldnt. Its always better to replace PP and disk, not just one.

Originally Posted by joosdawg
i have the full 5th gen setup and havent had a chance to put it in yet. But eckohb also got the full 5th gen setup and we installed it together two weeks ago and it grips AWSOME and feels AWSOME i really cant wait to get mine in

-Ryan
I got the entire 5th gen assembly, and yes, its sweet.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
I wouldnt. Its always better to replace PP and disk, not just one.
does the PP wear out as fast as the disk though? it just seems to me that the clutch disk if worn out could be replaced by itself, but the PP shouldn't have to. or does the PP wear out as well?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:44 AM

I would go with an ACT... theyre such a big name brand company man. you cant go wrong with them. probably should get like a stage 3 or something, theyre awesome on the street from what i heard
Old 11-02-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by maxinthamax
I would go with an ACT... theyre such a big name brand company man. you cant go wrong with them. probably should get like a stage 3 or something, theyre awesome on the street from what i heard
what is this? some sort of joke first of all ACT clutches have been proven to eat up our trannys let alone a stage III
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Our trannies are . You def. must be kidding about putting in an ACT clutch. Let alone a stage 3. Wow, that was just plain newbie.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Maximoneypit

ok, so in order to get the full "upgrade" of a 5th gen OEM clutch all you need to purchase is the 5th gen pressure plate and disk? did i read this correctly? thanks guys
Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NISM0
also how much is a good deal for a clutch replacement. the last time i had my clutch replaced it was 800 bills. from what i hear from friends, that was too much. please any kind of input would be appreciated. thanks.
E-I-G-H-T Hundered dollars for a clutch job is a lot...Half of that, maximum.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Were not gonna have this discussion again are we? Clutches dont kill trannies, the driver does. How hard a clutch engages depends on how the driver operates it. If you put an ACT clutch in your car and your tranny dies and you go back to ACT and tell them "your clutch killed my tranny" they are going to respond with, "you should have been easier on it". People put aftermarket clutchs in their car and romp on it thinking that because its aftermarket they can and then when the tranny dies they think its the clutchs fault? NO, its your dumb ***.

NCSU Max: yes you need the 5th gen PP, disk and bearing.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:00 PM

My clutch is starting to slip on me(most noticeable when I'm on it in 2nd gear and when I push it a little harder in 5th gear). So probably next month when I have from school I would like to change it.

Just a few questions?? If doing this on my own, do I have to drop the tranny out of the car to change it, or can I do it while the car is on a lift??

Also, if I dont feel like doing it on my own, will the dealer install the 5th gen for me??
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Maximoneypit

thanks Vlasic
Old 11-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by magneto112
My clutch is starting to slip on me(most noticeable when I'm on it in 2nd gear and when I push it a little harder in 5th gear). So probably next month when I have from school I would like to change it.

Just a few questions?? If doing this on my own, do I have to drop the tranny out of the car to change it, or can I do it while the car is on a lift??

Also, if I dont feel like doing it on my own, will the dealer install the 5th gen for me??
yes you have to drop the tranny out, as long as you have a decent build and a floor jack you can muscle it back on after its off. I just did one couple weeks back with eckohb and also starting installing my own in about an hour with just a floor jack two jack stands, breakerbar, and basic hand tools. Its just very time consuming but not to bad. If you insist on having a dealer or shop install it DO NOT tell them its from a 5th gen and dont have the part numbers or anything take it all out of the packages and bring it to them and they wont be able to tell the differnce. If you tell them its from a 5th gen then they will make some trash up about warentees ect and not want to do it even if you say its direct bolt on.

-Ryan
Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
You can also choose to use either the 4th gen. clutch disk or the 5th gen. clutch disk: THEY BOTH FIT IN THE 5th gen PP. JSutter used the 4th gen. clutch disk; p/n for 4th gen. clutch disk is: 30100-40U14 . Myself and 96stillenmax have the complete 5th gen. clutch setup, including disk. The p/n for the 5th gen. clutch disk is 30100-2Y904 .
When ordering, somehow the wrong stuff has been shipped. INSIST on these numbers, and/or ensure that they are sending you the correct kit. I'm unsure of whether or not the numbers have changed, but giving them the old numbers should yield a correct shipment.
Feel free to add onto this (any other O.G.'s of the fifth gen. setup...haha).

edit: I read through the original JSutter post, and found some info. on the different 5th gen. PP's. Dave B suggests the early model Pressure Plate, the p/n listed above, instead of the later PP due to the early one being thicker.

Here is the original thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&page=1&pp=30

Labor for a clutch replacement should be about 6 hours, so multiply your mech's rate by that amount of time.
I agree with all the part numbers BUT the clutch disc... I used
TO BEARING# 30502-41U20
Clucth Disc# C0100-6E600
PP# 30210-89F00

the clutch disc i found if you search in google that its the same part # used in the skyline R33 LOL. but in further research the number changed from what Biglou said to the new number that i said above.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by joosdawg
I agree with all the part numbers BUT the clutch disc... I used
TO BEARING# 30502-41U20
Clucth Disc# C0100-6E600
PP# 30210-89F00

the clutch disc i found if you search in google that its the same part # used in the skyline R33 LOL. but in further research the number changed from what Biglou said to the new number that i said above.
so the clutch disk part number C0100-6E600 that you are using is the earlier and thicker one?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM

so has anybody done a clutch job w/ just a clutch disc, and kept the pressure plate?

i'd still like to know if anybody has (especially with an ACT pressure plate, w/ maybe a 5th gen clutch disc). thanks guys
Old 11-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
so the clutch disk part number C0100-6E600 that you are using is the earlier and thicker one?
correct, the disc im using says that its for an 89-94 maxima all i know is its a great beefy looking disc compared to the stock 4th gen one, also works great with the 5th gen pp. whatever it is im very very happy with it.