4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACT clutch 1 Transmission 0

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:19 PM

ACT clutch 1 Transmission 0

Well my 1st and 2nd gear disappeared last night. Ever since my gears have been grinding I have been waiting for something like this to happen.
However my friend sold me a rebuilt tranny a few months ago and we were already going to put it in today!
I also put in an OEM clutch and flywheel .
Hopefully this setup will fit my ideals. I'm so thankful that God opened people's hearts to lend a helping hand to me.

In retrospect I don't know why anyone would put an ACT clutch in their car unless they were putting down significantly more power than stock. I mean within 20k of putting in my ACT clutch my 3rd gear synchros were shot....and for what? For my left leg to be freaking ripped compared to my right leg! An OEM clutch would have handled my power fine.

ok rant over
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 AM

Welcome to the club...my ACT blew out 1st 2nd and third..after I spent who knows how much on a rebuilt tranny and an OEM clutch I slaped myself on the face for spending the money on the clutch and I did not even need it. OEM=best clutch for an NA Max.(in my opinion)
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Ford Only.

Well, not to bash you...but, clutches dont kill trannies, drivers do.

I do agree, alot of people go with aftermarket clutches and it is overkill. I have a 2k clutch in my 4th gen and it has handled all I have given it so far. I just bought an Exedy Stage 2 for my 3rd gen, combined with a Fidanza Flywheel. It might be a little overkill, but my next step for the car is boost.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:54 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by AsthmaMax11
In retrospect I don't know why anyone would put an ACT clutch in their car unless they were putting down significantly more power than stock..............An OEM clutch would have handled my power fine.

Thats what I say everytime someone starts a new clutch thread, but they never listen
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Does using 5th gen OEM clutch in 4th (which I plan to do soon) run this risk as well?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an ACT stage 2 clutch in my car and don't take it easy on the tranny when i gun it. It's handled it like a champ for over 2 years (including time with the previous owner). I have a 2k tranny BTW...
Old 10-23-2005, 11:28 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by tomservo291
Does using 5th gen OEM clutch in 4th (which I plan to do soon) run this risk as well?
run what risk? like dmontzsta said, clutches dont kill trannies, drivers do.

the 5th gen OEM clutch is the best clutch upgrade for a n/a 4th gen maxima, anything else is overkill.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Vlasic

the 5th gen OEM clutch is the best clutch upgrade for a n/a 4th gen maxima, anything else is overkill.
Straight to the point.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Well, not to bash you...but, clutches dont kill trannies, drivers do.

I do agree, alot of people go with aftermarket clutches and it is overkill. I have a 2k clutch in my 4th gen and it has handled all I have given it so far. I just bought an Exedy Stage 2 for my 3rd gen, combined with a Fidanza Flywheel. It might be a little overkill, but my next step for the car is boost.

ehhhh wrong ACT clutchs do kill maxima trannies..He wasn't the first nor will be be the last.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by zack342
ehhhh wrong ACT clutchs do kill maxima trannies..He wasn't the first nor will be be the last.
damn, I feel pretty stupid right now.

Could you educate me on how the clutch actually breaks the tranny?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:07 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
damn, I feel pretty stupid right now.

Could you educate me on how the clutch actually breaks the tranny?
Aftermarket clutches grab harder which would generate more drivetrain shock. This in turn leads to blow gears, synchros, etc.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't understand why you all just didn't get a 5th gen 5-speed instead of rebuilding the 4th gen tranny. Whether the 3rd gear is the same diameter or not, who cares? Bottom line is the 5th gen 5-speeds are more robust and can handle aftermarket clutches much better. I'm not easy on my tranny when i gun it and it's been taking my ACT stage 2 like a champ. No one's proven why it's better, but it just is.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Bottom line is the 5th gen 5-speeds are more robust and can handle aftermarket clutches much better. I'm not easy on my tranny when i gun it and it's been taking my ACT stage 2 like a champ. No one's proven why it's better, but it just is.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

damn bruce that sucks, i just replaced my clutch, i got he car back yesterday.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM

bump!!!

bumP!!!! this is some good info !!!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Ford Only.

If 4th gen trannies cannot take an aftermarket clutch. What does that say about them? THEY ARE A BRITTLE POS!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
damn bruce that sucks, i just replaced my clutch, i got he car back yesterday.

Well you remember how long I've been having tranny problems, I'm just surprised it lasted this long!! I'm glad you finally got your clutch replaced. I remember you were telling me it was jacked up ever since you put it in. Did you go OEM again? Who did it for you?

Bruce
Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 AM

I would have gone with the 5th gen oem set up. I just installed that in my car last week, and the thing clamps very hard. I love it to death. 219 shipped from DaveB
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Yes, +1 to the 5th gen. By the way vlasic - car looks way better with red/clears!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by THT
Aftermarket clutches grab harder which would generate more drivetrain shock. This in turn leads to blow gears, synchros, etc.
Your argument would have more force if it wasn't for the fact that the harshness of engagement is controlled by the driver.

I've had an ACT clutch in my car for over 60,000 miles with no (zero, nada, zilch) tranny problems. The last 50,000 of those miles has been boosted.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by zack342
All the ACT clutch does is transfer more torque from the flywheel to the input shaft of the transmission than what the oem clutch does. Shock is what is killing Maxima transmissions, and that is controlled solely by the driver.

That being said, I do have evidence of a different kind of failure that can be blamed on the ACT clutch, and I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Your argument would have more force if it wasn't for the fact that the harshness of engagement is controlled by the driver.

I've had an ACT clutch in my car for over 60,000 miles with no (zero, nada, zilch) tranny problems. The last 50,000 of those miles has been boosted.

Sure you've been boosted for 50k but how hard do you drive your car?
The fact of the matter is that most of the guys on here drive their cars pretty hard (speed shift, hard launches, etc) and our transmissions can't handle that abuse from a harsh clutch like ACT.
In fact the only type of person I see using an ACT would be someone like you who has over 50% more power than stock. (someone who actually needs that grip)
Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you treat your car that hard, it will break no matter what. You can also look at this way. Since Stephan has so much more power, he usually doesn't have to bang gears to pass most people. He can granny shift and still kill most people that think they can pass a maxima.

And the rest of us had to crash gears to beat people. Hell I doubt he has to downshift most of the time!

The fact of the matter is that most of the guys on here drive their cars pretty hard (speed shift, hard launches, etc) and our transmissions can't handle that abuse from a harsh clutch like ACT.
In fact the only type of person I see using an ACT would be someone like you who has over 50% more power than stock. (someone who actually needs that grip)
Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 AM

That's pretty much the whole point, isn't it?

You mean our transmission can't handle that abuse from the driver if he has an ACT clutch.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Yes, +1 to the 5th gen. By the way vlasic - car looks way better with red/clears!
Thanks, I agree, hehe.

People here buy aftermarket clutches like ACT and think that because they now have an aftermarket clutch they can drive their car harder, so they start beating on it and that is why their transmission breaks. How can you blame how hard a clutch engages on the clutch when the driver is the one controlling it?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

If you speed shift and launch hard, the Maxima tranny is gonna give it up, ACT or not.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
If you speed shift and launch hard, the Maxima tranny is gonna give it up, ACT or not.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Sorry for the newb question. But when you guys say "5th gen tranny" are you talking about the actually 5th gen complete trans or just the 5th gen OEM clutch into the orginal 4th gen tranny?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:36 AM

about 60k and 3 years on my ACT. Match the revs well and there won't be as much shock. I've ridden w/other maxima drivers and am amazed how high some of them rev to get into 1st gear.

With new motor mounts, it's much easier to work the clutch smoothly now. Maybe check that out.

Jae
Old 10-25-2005, 03:06 AM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
Sorry for the newb question. But when you guys say "5th gen tranny" are you talking about the actually 5th gen complete trans or just the 5th gen OEM clutch into the orginal 4th gen tranny?
Actual 5th gen trans.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by eckohb
I would have gone with the 5th gen oem set up. I just installed that in my car last week, and the thing clamps very hard. I love it to death. 219 shipped from DaveB
Did you say that you got a 5th gen clutch for 219$? Does it fit perfectly or do you have to modify something to make it fit? Also, how about the flywheel? Can you use a 5th gen flywheel and clutch?

Does the 5th gen clutch do a better job than the stock 4th gen clutches?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 AM

Here's some info I had summed up in a previous thread when some incorrect info was floating around.

I'm going to take this opportunity to try to straighten out all these misconceptions.

The 5th gen. clutch setup is a DIRECT fit. If you're looking into this setup, you know that it provides better clamping force when compared to the 4th gen. setup. The 5th gen. Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate is what gives it that extra clamping force. (In previous threads, members have gotten the impression that they should be using the 4th gen. PP, and 5th gen. clutch disk. THIS WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY BETTER PERFORMANCE THAN THE REGULAR 4TH GEN SETUP!!!).
If you want the 5th gen. clutch setup, you need the 5th gen. Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate. This non-key value part number is: 30210-89F00. (This is the part # from a stock early model 2000-2001. They switched #'s part of the way through the 2000-2001 years, and as of now I don't know if anyone has tried the updated part, and therefore I don't have that part number). (edit: see bottom of post!!!)
You can choose to either buy the 4th gen. T.O. Bearing or the 5th gen T.O. Bearing. This part is known also as the release bearing. The p/n is 30502-41U20, and IIRC there is no difference between the bearings. (Feel free to shed some light on this).
You can also choose to use either the 4th gen. clutch disk or the 5th gen. clutch disk: THEY BOTH FIT IN THE 5th gen PP. JSutter used the 4th gen. clutch disk; p/n for 4th gen. clutch disk is: 30100-40U14 . Myself and 96stillenmax have the complete 5th gen. clutch setup, including disk. The p/n for the 5th gen. clutch disk is 30100-2Y904 .
When ordering, somehow the wrong stuff has been shipped. INSIST on these numbers, and/or ensure that they are sending you the correct kit. I'm unsure of whether or not the numbers have changed, but giving them the old numbers should yield a correct shipment.
Feel free to add onto this (any other O.G.'s of the fifth gen. setup...haha).

edit: I read through the original JSutter post, and found some info. on the different 5th gen. PP's. Dave B suggests the early model Pressure Plate, the p/n listed above, instead of the later PP due to the early one being thicker.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM

Ok. From what was just said^^^^^^^, the entire 5th gen trans is not needed for the 5th gen setup right?

Originally Posted by THT
Actual 5th gen trans.

What is actually needed would be the parts included in a clutch kit correct? The fifth gen clutch, pp, to bearing, etc. The actual transmission (or the case that holds the clutch, pp, etc) is not changed then correct?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Correct. To use a 5th gne clutch setup, all you need is the disk, PP and bearing, you do not need the entire 5th gen trans. People use this setup because the disk and PP are larger and grip slightly more than the 4th gen setup and it bolts right in with no modification.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:16 PM

i th ink you f'ed up your trans.. not the clutch. I had an ACT hdmm clutch in my 97 and logged 68k miles with it.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
Ok. From what was just said^^^^^^^, the entire 5th gen trans is not needed for the 5th gen setup right?

What is actually needed would be the parts included in a clutch kit correct? The fifth gen clutch, pp, to bearing, etc. The actual transmission (or the case that holds the clutch, pp, etc) is not changed then correct?
You don't need both the 5th gen clutch AND 5th gen trans. 5th gen clutch will fit a 4th gen trans fine. I chose to get both since I was going from an auto to 5spd.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic

Im looking to do my clutch this spring. I want to go with a 5th gen clutch. Does it have to be a specific year (00-03)? also, i want to change my fly wheel as well, will the 5th gen work or should i go w/ a fidanza or something like that? Proffesional opinion please !!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by 96mAx2fast
Im looking to do my clutch this spring. I want to go with a 5th gen clutch. Does it have to be a specific year (00-03)? also, i want to change my fly wheel as well, will the 5th gen work or should i go w/ a fidanza or something like that? Proffesional opinion please !!!!
everything you need to know about what clutch to use was posted by biglou in post #32. As for flywheel, if you want a lightweight one, go with fidanza or unorthadox or what ever they are, or just just have your current one milled down.