4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need an overhaul :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Back from the dead

I need an overhaul :(

Alright, to add to my list of to-do's, I rotated my tires today, and discovered my drivers side CV boot was torn, pretty much 60% around, grease was all over the tie rod and surrounding area, bad situation. I'm just going to take it with a grain of salt and order both axles from RAxles, but in the process, noticed a LOT of rust on the steering gear, strut boots were disintegrated (all 4), all the bushings were brown and cracked, and i need new brake pads to boot. While I am replacing the axles, is there anything else I can do to fix the rest of it? Can someone point me in the general direction of a writeup for axle replacement? I'm in big doo doo here, and ANY help i can get from any of you is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! peace
Old 10-29-2005, 11:51 AM

There is a 3-part write up on CV boot replacement on www.motorvate.ca. Click on Driveline on the left side of the home page.

I am not sure if www.maxmods.dyndns.org has anything as I can't access the website today for some reason.

Also refer to the Haynes manual. I haven't checked the stickies yet to see if there is anything there.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Given that you have 95, none of what you mention is surprising - especially if those parts are still the originals.

To replace the strut boots, you'll have to pull the struts/springs off the car - so it's probably not worth it just to replace the boots. If/when you ever install new suspension (struts or springs), just replace the boots and strut bearings at that time.

You should consider replacing the swaybar endlink bushings, swaybar bushings while you have the car off the ground. The bushings are cheap and will help with ride quality.

A more involved maintenance list would include inner and outer tie rod end replacement and LCA bushing and ball-joint replacement. A lot of us, including myself, have opted to just replace the entire LCA (you can buy them on Ebay for 80 bucks). The new LCAs come with new bushings and ball-joints - so its a lot easier for the DIYer working out on a driveway or garage.

There are writeups for LCA replacement, as well as for tie-rod replacement. Look up orger "nick" - his signature has links to his cardomain write-ups. They may also be in the how-to stickies.

I have replaced everything you mentioned, other than the axles, so feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Back from the dead

Thanks a ton man, today me and my parents got into the everlasting arguement over whether to replace all the parts (my idea), or replace the car(theirs ) But I told them that they wont find any car at near the quality or reliability of a maxima for the same price, so they basically sold me the car. Free to do what I want with it, so im gonna devote ~600 dollars to fix/replace everything that needs it. One more question, In replacing the air filter, would there be any loss in power if i were to use a K&N cone filter (with all resonators) compared to a K&N panel filter?