4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

grounding kit strangeness, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

grounding kit strangeness, thoughts?

ive been installing an active tuning grounding kit on my max. let me just say i wish i hadnt spend the money lol.

i got the first three wires installed yesterday with no problems, behind pass headlight to valve cover, bat neg to ground behind fuse box, pass side of motor to 1st grounding point. they are the first three on http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...rticle&sid=149 .

i just installed the fourth today (i didnt have a tool i needed), the center of the intake plenum to the firewall. after i installed this one, i started the car, and it made a strange noise. it started right up, but seemed to be complaining about it. it wasnt a "full" sounding start. so i disconnected it from the intake plenum and tried start again, getting the full start i was expecting. i removed it from the firewall, and got the strange start, then the full start. right now i have just the first 3 installed.

can anyone offer thoughts on what i did wrong, or whats going on?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

strange noise, strange start, full start,

Describe the noise

Describe whats differnet about the start, longer crank, quicker crank, starts by itself?

And last, what in the world is a full start?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:47 PM

sorry, teh car noob

i have no idea how to describe sounds.

the strange start: sounds like something is spinning too fast then slows down after a second, car sounds like its running normal

the full start: car sounds normal; has a kinda throaty growl, then sounds like its running normal

it doesnt take any longer for anything, just sounds different while it goes from off to running

sounded strange when i took it to the store just now, maybe its not anything to do with the grounding kit and i just hadnt started my car with the door open recently
Old 10-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by sook
maybe its not anything to do with the grounding kit and i just hadnt started my car with the door open recently
Did I just read that line correctly?

If you took a $hit with the bathroom door open would the sound it makes when it hits the water change, causing you to think your anus has problems?

Sorry, but it's Halloween weekend and I'm in a funky mood.

No pun intended.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just installed this kit myself. My experience was great. It is all in my I30 thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=437263
Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If you took a $hit with the bathroom door open would the sound it makes when it hits the water change, causing you to think your anus has problems?

only if youre normally on the otherside of the door when your **** hits the water
Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 AM

Aren't the sounds the benefits of the grounding kit? Assume it's providing a better electrical connection, with less resistance. The starter's able to turn faster, along with more torque, hence the funny sound when starting. When the engine catches and runs, it's the more efficient electricals allowing it to sound throatier.

My bro's exhaust tone changed to a deeper throatier sound after installing the grounding kit (he was in the 1st group deal years ago). He also got 1mpg increased fuel efficiency. I doubt it's due to bad stock wiring, cuz his warranty just ran out when he installed the wires. I'm pretty sure there's some kinda effect, but minimal.

My VE had better idle and brighter lights after the grounding kit, nothing else. We'd already tried cleaning/sanding the contact points (this was before we bought the grounding kit) and didn't get much benefit. But then again, it's a 1993 with 260,000 miles. Haha.

Jae
Old 10-30-2005, 09:22 PM

I installed a ground kit and i had no problems at all. Check all your connections again and go trace back all the things you modified.