4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Head Unit Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Bose Head Unit Help

Bose headunit recently failed to operate. I checked all the fuses to the audio components under the steering wheel and they are all fine. My display has been out for some time now but now the whole unit does not operate. I proceeded to remove the unit today and did some simple analysis but I need some serious advice from someone who knows the system well. Here are the questions.

1. Is the connector that attaches to the unit in the bottom corner the Antenna signal input? (pretty sure that is what it is but want to make sure)
2. Also I probed the connectors to the headunit to make sure it was not an existing problem before the headunit itself and this is what i found. (Looking at the female connectors) The top left and the third pin from the left on the bottom have ~16V. All other pins have 0V readings. This seems plausible to me but is this correct?
3. If everything is as I assume it to be (power is getting to the unit but unit has an internal problem) I will be cracking open the headunit itself tomorrow. I have read the article on repairing most bose problems (like the display one) but does anyone know where to start for my none functioning problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check ebay for a used working replacement unit, the're pretty cheap.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you try this...

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/bose.html
Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 PM

i am going to replace that one resistor to fix my display problem, but i am unsure what is behind to problem of the unit not receiving power.. it does not turn on or power up at all.. (will not operate antenna (hence send signal to it) or load a CD etc..)

oh and usually ebay units sale for $150+ and that is not cheap to a college student with two cars.. (my max and my baby 96 Z)
Old 10-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Mine died, first it wouldnt give sound output and then the screen went dead. i put my aiwa from my old camry in and got rid of the bose. you will need the following adapters (available from crutchfield.com just do a search) to convert aftermarket to bose and to connect the antenna up. its really really simple...people here make it out to be a pain in the rear and say that you should just replace the whole system bose and all but thats bs. Bose sounds really good when it works and the headunit is the only problem.

-Nissan Antenna Adapter Diversity antenna to Motorola M & F
-OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 94-up Nissan/Infiniti
Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 AM

if you dont get the bose fixed, i'll take it off your hands. i'm looking to use the face to cover up an aftermarket set up. pm me if you want to get rid of it.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
100% chingon

And why doesn't the Bose operate without engine power?

I don't understand why the Bose doesn't produce sound unless the ignition switch is all the way 'on'. In the second position I can see the CD, for instance, is running, but no sound comes out. It does NOT seem desirable to me to turn the switch all the way because then, surely, the fuel pump is on, ignition is on, and so forth. Why is there no 'ACC' position?
Clive
www.citiria.com
Old 10-30-2005, 11:21 AM

i have 2 head units, both display work fine, and the cd for one is not working and the sound for the other is not working ......lettme know if u need parts
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 AM

I really would like to stay stock so no aftermarket options will be considered, thanks for the thought though.

randy - I am unsure what part needs to be replaced at the moment but when I figure it out I might take you up on some of your parts.

I also have some Z issues that popped up on me this weekend so this might be a pending problem..
Old 10-31-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by clive
I don't understand why the Bose doesn't produce sound unless the ignition switch is all the way 'on'. In the second position I can see the CD, for instance, is running, but no sound comes out. It does NOT seem desirable to me to turn the switch all the way because then, surely, the fuel pump is on, ignition is on, and so forth. Why is there no 'ACC' position?
Clive
www.citiria.com
my 97 works in the ACC position as yours should too. believe it or not, there are 3 fuses that feed power the the bose. a 15 amp fuse (#62 going to pin 6 of the radio) located under the hood in the fusable link box. a 15 amp fuse (#22 going to the audio amp relay terminal 3) and a 10 amp fuse (#21 going to pin 10 of the radio) are located in the fuse block in the car. it's possible that the ignition switch might be bad in the ACC position, maybe another org'er has some experience with that.