4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Factory recall of oxygen sensor and more on 96 MAX!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 10:03 PM

This morning i took my car to dealer, to have the cruise control fixed. To my surprise guy came and told me that there are several items recalled on your maxima that can be replaced for free........(WOW!!!) Here is the list of items that were replaced for free. (parts+labor worth=$363.49)

1)3 Oxygen Sensors
2)Evap Canister
3)Water Separator
4)Vent control valve
5)Evap Valve Essembly
I was wondering do you guys know about that recall or i was the only one who didn't know about this. Feels good to have my O2 sensor replaced when gas prices are sky high.

The bad part of the story is that my cruise control CPU (ASCD) is faulty and needs to be replaced. Now that is like $400 just the controller + labor!!!! Screwed there

Can you guys tell me what #2 thru #5 mean because i know what O2 sensor is, rest i have absolutely no idea what they are??? I would appreciate if someone add to my knowledge.

Thanks ya all
Old 05-31-2001, 10:54 PM

Items #2-5 is the evap assembly located next to your gas tank. It basically condenses fuel vapors and recirculates it back into the system, reducing emissions. It also allows a limited amount of "venting" from the fuel tank I think.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:40 PM

If only I could get that kinda luck on my '97!!!

-V
Old 05-31-2001, 11:49 PM

Man..I'll be checking out my dealer about this...thanks for posting this paracha3.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Car With No Name
Man..I'll be checking out my dealer about this
Yes, thanks dude. That is saving me a bun! Real swell.
There is an announcement for the 97' too.
I will start a new post. But read below.

VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN MAXIMA POWER STEERING RETURN HOSE LEAKS

APPLIED VEHICLE: Maxima
AFFECTED VINS: JN1CA21**VT831464-871989

INTRODUCTION
Some 1997 Maxima sedans may have power steering hose clamps that were not properly tightened at the time of production. To ensure customer satisfaction and prevent any future inconvenience, Nissan has initiated a Voluntary Service Campaign to inspect and adjust a power steering hose clamp. The service department will also add power steering fluid to the vehicle if required.

SERVICE INFORMATION
Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. Through our product performance monitoring, we have identified a power steering hose clamp that may be incorrectly tightened on some 1997 Maximas.

To ensure your satisfaction and prevent any future inconvenience, Nissan has initiated a Voluntary Service Campaign to adjust and tighten the power steering hose clamp. This repair will be conducted at no charge to you. If this service campaign is not performed on your vehicle, your power steering hose may leak causing you inconvenience or unnecessary expense at some time in the future.

Please contact your Nissan retailer's service department at your earliest convenience to arrange an appointment to have this service performed. The power steering hose clamp service will generally take less than one (1) hour to complete, but your Nissan retailer may require your Maxima for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact an Nissan representative at 1-800-NISSAN1(1-800-647-7261). If you reside in Hawaii, please call (808) 836-0888.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Items #2-5 is the evap assembly located next to your gas tank. It basically condenses fuel vapors and recirculates it back into the system, reducing emissions. ...
In addition, these components are used by the Engine Control Module to make periodic tests of fuel system integrity.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is the recall for ALL 96 maximas or just a few?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Rutnick
Old 06-01-2001, 11:16 AM
zaebis

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
and what is the source of this information ?

Old 06-01-2001, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by zaebis
and what is the source of this information ?
It was copied from Frougier's posting in this thread.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:30 PM

ALL 96 MAXIMAs

Originally posted by Rutnick
All 96 maximas. Just a few 97, check your VIN
Old 06-01-2001, 03:21 PM
Licensed to Spell

Sweet!

Thanks soooo much! Would you beleive my check engine light came just came on last week. When I read the code, it was the downstream oxygen sensor! I priced around and the cheapest price was $80 each. Thanks so much.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:50 PM

nothing on my 95?
Old 06-01-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by wicked1044
nothing on my 95?

Wicked...that frontend is sickening = (awesome).
Old 06-01-2001, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Car With No Name

Wicked...that frontend is sickening = (awesome).
thanks.....
Old 06-01-2001, 07:42 PM

Recalls

Where would be the source for these recalls? Any on 99?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:18 PM

Daniel Martin...

Can you post some more info on the other *free* recalls that maybe done on the 4th gens (we are almost all in college and are broke) ... I searched alldata.com, but they don't specify that information. They list all the TSB's, but no free recalls and inspections. Perhaps you can help us list all the recalls and problems that pertain to the 4th gens, other than TSB's? Perhaps along with the VINs associated with them... I know it seems like a lot to ask, but I think it would be a wonderful source for us all. What do you think? Thanks Daniel...
Old 06-02-2001, 07:43 AM

Re: Daniel Martin...

Originally posted by ikSardarG
Can you post some more info on the other *free* recalls that maybe done on the 4th gens (we are almost all in college and are broke) ... I searched alldata.com, but they don't specify that information. They list all the TSB's, but no free recalls and inspections. Perhaps you can help us list all the recalls and problems that pertain to the 4th gens, other than TSB's? Perhaps along with the VINs associated with them... I know it seems like a lot to ask, but I think it would be a wonderful source for us all. What do you think? Thanks Daniel...
I wish I could do this. Unfortunately, I don't have any more access to this kind of information than you.

Perhaps your request could be fulfilled by one of the Maxima.Org members who has "insider" access. For example, on 05/21/01 Bluefish announced that he is now a Nissan salesman at Smithtown Nissan. See http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ans#post309172
Old 06-02-2001, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: Daniel Martin...

ARE THERE ANY RECALLS ON 95 MAX'S??????PLEASE POST IF YOU GUYS KNOW....THANX.....
Old 06-02-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: Daniel Martin...

I emailed Nissan asking whether it's true and on what exactly. Will let you know if they reply.

Roman
Old 06-02-2001, 10:15 AM

That's funny because this past weekend my ML light went on out of no where notifying me that I had a problem with my 02 sensor,....just some more ammo when I go into the dealer.

THANKS!
Old 06-02-2001, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Daniel Martin...

I wish I could do this. Unfortunately, I don't have any more access to this kind of information than you.

Perhaps your request could be fulfilled by one of the Maxima.Org members who has "insider" access. For example, on 05/21/01 Bluefish announced that he is now a Nissan salesman at Smithtown Nissan. See http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ans#post309172
Ok, well anyone who actually has insider information on Nissan's or dealerships please let us know... I think we are all kinda waiting around for this info, but nobody really wants to admit it...

Thanks Daniel...
Old 06-02-2001, 12:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It was copied from Frougier's posting in this thread.
That was for a power steering problem. I was asking about the O2 sensor recall.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:28 PM

aww crap, thats me!!!!
Old 06-02-2001, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

aww crap, thats me!!!!
When you get something for free (besides garbage), you should never say "Crap..."

Old 06-02-2001, 07:14 PM
GNGXE

This is funny for me too. Yesterday(friday)my check engine light went on,after doing a search on this board,I retrieved the link to code info. Turns out it was the oxygen sensor front. Same day this post pops up,callred the dealer and its getting fixed for free. Saved $80 plus the other 02s are replaced.

Old 06-02-2001, 07:28 PM

When you get something for free (besides garbage), you should never say "Crap..."

Well none of these things have problems yet. What if after the recall is over, these things die, then what???
Old 06-02-2001, 09:33 PM

Re: ALL 96 MAXIMAs

Originally posted by frougier

All 96 maximas. Just a few 97, check your VIN
Thanks for the info. It seems that my car, a 97', has been recalled as well. I'll get it in next week. Thanks for the info again! Any recalls on the cruise that anyone knows about?
Old 06-04-2001, 08:39 AM

called local dealer today

Originally posted by JdawgX

Thanks for the info. It seems that my car, a 97', has been recalled as well. I'll get it in next week. Thanks for the info again! Any recalls on the cruise that anyone knows about?
I gave him the VIN for my '96 Maxima and it fell under a "voluntary recall" that is still going on. the code is P8132 "MIL lamp issues".

They'll replace two or three parts and install a couple more to prevent water from getting there.

Since I am no mechanic, I'd appreciate if someone could explain what this actually means. Daniel, are you up to the task?

Thanks
Roman
Old 06-04-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: called local dealer today

Originally posted by Roman-dude

I gave him the VIN for my '96 Maxima and it fell under a "voluntary recall" that is still going on. the code is P8132 "MIL lamp issues".

They'll replace two or three parts and install a couple more to prevent water from getting there.

Since I am no mechanic, I'd appreciate if someone could explain what this actually means. Daniel, are you up to the task?

Thanks
Roman
I don't have the facts so I can't explain it. When your Maxima is serviced under this Voluntary Recall please ask the Service Advisor to explain, and to verify that the full name of all replaced parts appears on the Work Order papers. Ask for the "Campaign Number". Post that information on this forum.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:23 AM

I checked my '97 5sp SE VIN against the ones above. However, I called a dealer this weekend and they said that my car wasn't covered under the recall. Any ideas? Was it all or just some of the cars within that VIN sequence? Thanks everyone.

-V
Old 06-04-2001, 11:56 AM

Campaign Number

I don't have the facts so I can't explain it. When your Maxima is serviced under this Voluntary Recall please ask the Service Advisor to explain, and to verify that the full name of all replaced parts appears on the Work Order papers. Ask for the "Campaign Number". Post that information on this forum.
it's P8132

Roman
Old 06-04-2001, 02:18 PM

I called up 2 local dealers and asked them to run my VIN through the computer. They both said there no recall of any sort outstanding on my 96 SE.

Is the recall a reginal thing? I am in CA.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:27 PM

My phone call with the dealership

Me: Hello I was calling in reference to a recall of some parts for my 96 Maxima
Dealer: Uhhh,....what recall?, where did you see that
Me: I read it
Dealer: Umm, have you ever had your car serviced here?
Me: Yes, I havent missed a service, here is my VIN number.....The recall is the one for the 3 02 sensors, evap canister, water separator, vent control valve, and evap valve assembly...
Dealer: Oh, I see now...well thats only a warranty recall, meaning If you car hasnt reached 50,000 miles or is still under warranty.
Me: I have an extended warranty and I havent heard anything in reference to a warranty recall
Dealer: Oh well, your malfunction light had to have come on
Me: It did
Dealer: When
Me: Last weekend
Dealer: Oh well, you have to bring it in and let us diagnose it
Me: I did, i got codes 0303 and 0304, Front Left Heated O2 sensor and knock sensor
Dealer: (realizing I know what Im talking about) Oh yeah well the Front 02 sensor can cause the knock sensor to go out, make an appointment.

So I did for Thursday at 8:30 am, which means Ill be pimping my Dad's 98 Buick LeSabre all day Thursday. Anyway, something just seems funny. Why are Nissan dealerships giving us different answers as far as this recall goes. Is there a definitive source for recalls online anywhere? or some sort of documentation?

Just getting an appointment was a struggle, now Im afraid when the dealer sees my Intake he is going to go back on his free repair. Daniel Martin told me that the o2 sensor has nothing to do with the MAF sensor but this guy seemed kinda shifty. Should I be worried?

From the short conversation I had, Im sure this story isnt over. The thing is, if any person who had minimal knowledge of Maximas heard about a recall and called this particular dealer, (or other dealers Im hearing about)I feel the dealer would somehow try to finesse the person out of the repair.

To be continued....
Old 06-06-2001, 12:25 AM

Imagine what they would say if I take my car in and tehy see the y-pipe/RT cat/ and Greddy...along with the guy going ...."where the hell is the air cleaner??"..(CAI)....lol

I'm going to have to think this one out carefully....lol
Old 06-06-2001, 01:23 AM

Re: My phone call with the dealership

Originally posted by DCmax
Me: Hello I was calling in reference to a recall of some parts for my 96 Maxima
Dealer: Uhhh,....what recall?, where did you see that
Me: I read it
Dealer: Umm, have you ever had your car serviced here?
Me: Yes, I havent missed a service, here is my VIN number.....The recall is the one for the 3 02 sensors, evap canister, water separator, vent control valve, and evap valve assembly...
Dealer: Oh, I see now...well thats only a warranty recall, meaning If you car hasnt reached 50,000 miles or is still under warranty.
Me: I have an extended warranty and I havent heard anything in reference to a warranty recall
Dealer: Oh well, your malfunction light had to have come on
Me: It did
Dealer: When
Me: Last weekend
Dealer: Oh well, you have to bring it in and let us diagnose it
Me: I did, i got codes 0303 and 0304, Front Left Heated O2 sensor and knock sensor
Dealer: (realizing I know what Im talking about) Oh yeah well the Front 02 sensor can cause the knock sensor to go out, make an appointment.

So I did for Thursday at 8:30 am, which means Ill be pimping my Dad's 98 Buick LeSabre all day Thursday. Anyway, something just seems funny. Why are Nissan dealerships giving us different answers as far as this recall goes. Is there a definitive source for recalls online anywhere? or some sort of documentation?

Just getting an appointment was a struggle, now Im afraid when the dealer sees my Intake he is going to go back on his free repair. Daniel Martin told me that the o2 sensor has nothing to do with the MAF sensor but this guy seemed kinda shifty. Should I be worried?

From the short conversation I had, Im sure this story isnt over. The thing is, if any person who had minimal knowledge of Maximas heard about a recall and called this particular dealer, (or other dealers Im hearing about)I feel the dealer would somehow try to finesse the person out of the repair.

To be continued....
please keep us updated via this thread! the dealer i called said there was a power steering clamp recall for my car, but no o2 sensor recall, though my check engine light is on. oh well, i already orderd 2 new o2 sensors from courtesy, hopefully they'll get here soon. i don't think my car is covered 'under warranty' though. it's a '97 with 133,000 miles...

i guess i'll try another dealer tomorrow...

-V
Old 06-06-2001, 06:33 AM

Re: Re: My phone call with the dealership

Originally posted by vmok

i don't think my car is covered 'under warranty' though. it's a '97 with 133,000 miles...

-V
When I called yesterday about my '96 (see earlier in the post), the dealer never even asked whether the car was under the warranty. His more or less exact words were: "there is a voluntary recall that is still on, make an appointment and bring in your car."

Roman
Old 06-06-2001, 07:57 AM

Definitive answer

Guys,

I've checked on maximadriven.com and registered. They have a bulletin board with all the current recall.
*All '96 Maxima have been recalled (see my posting on page 1 of this thread.) If your dealership is not willing to help you out, please try another one. I have no problem here in NY (incidentally my MIL light came on and pointed to the described problem!) where all dealership new about the recall and would do the job for free.
*Some '97 Maxima have been recalled based on the VIN #.
I've started another post for this info.

Please check Nissan's website or call them for a definitive answer. Lots of nonsense is going around and don't listen to no other source but Nissan itself.
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:21 AM

What's "maximadriven.com"? Can't get to it for some reason. Is the site down?
Old 06-06-2001, 11:46 AM

Re: Definitive answer

Originally posted by frougier
Guys,

I've checked on maximadriven.com and registered. They have a bulletin board with all the current recall.
*All '96 Maxima have been recalled (see my posting on page 1 of this thread.) If your dealership is not willing to help you out, please try another one. I have no problem here in NY (incidentally my MIL light came on and pointed to the described problem!) where all dealership new about the recall and would do the job for free.
*Some '97 Maxima have been recalled based on the VIN #.
I've started another post for this info.

Please check Nissan's website or call them for a definitive answer. Lots of nonsense is going around and don't listen to no other source but Nissan itself.
Thanks.
what is the site you went to? maximadriven.com? i can't seem to reach that site...

-V

Quick Reply: Factory recall of oxygen sensor and more on 96 MAX!