4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone else's seat belts retract very slowly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:08 PM

anyone else's seat belts retract very slowly?

I dunno what that object it's called but I want to change it. i've had too many people get out of the car while dragging the seat belt outside and then closing the door with the damn belt clip being smashed. anyone know what it's called so i can look up the price?? ?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM

annoys the hell out of me, I get out of the car, I walk 5 feet and the thing is still around me
Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM

lol ^^^^^^^
Old 10-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Team Ramrod

Same here... it's a pain in the ****.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

i have had this problem for the longest just havnt fixed it i was told they just need cleaning,pull the b piller covers and take a look
Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Maxima lover

Yea I used to have that problem, now I just don't wear it. The only time I do use it though is when I am on curvy roads. I back my seat up, put on the belt, pull it real hard so it locks up, and then push my seat forward so it is tight on me and I feel really strapped in.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
Yea I used to have that problem, now I just don't wear it.
I dont get it, it takes three seconds to put it on, and it could save your life. Honestly I feel uneasy when I dont have my seatbelt on, anyway back to the topic.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't seatbelts have a lifetime warranty?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM

i have that problem too, ANNOYing i should check it out its always sagging and almost gets stuck in the door when i am exiting, quite the B*tch
Old 10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
I Broke OT

Yea I used to have that problem, now I just don't wear it. The only time I do use it though is when I am on curvy roads. I back my seat up, put on the belt, pull it real hard so it locks up, and then push my seat forward so it is tight on me and I feel really strapped in.

stupid. you think you are more likely to get in an accident on curvy roads than anywhere else? accients happen anywhere. close to home especially, statistics show. but still. just put the damn thing on.

...or maybe your life isn't worth the extra 3 seconds of complete and utter agony

I never really found it to be a problem as some say, but it's not the quickest thing in the world. if there is some roller or something behind the b-pillar, i would bet that that is the problem and could just be cleaned.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For you fellas who have a problem with the slow seat belt retracting, I am 99% sure that there was a service bulletin put out by Nissan regarding this. I also remember that they sell a "kit" to correct the slow seat belt retracting. I will get back to you with a link if i can find the info on it....Here it is.....http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/056037.pdf
It explains the entire procedure.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 PM

You're probably having the issues outlined in Nissan Service Bulletin #01005, entitled "D" Ring Residue can cause slow seat belt retraction. Here is the Bulletin in it's entirety: SB #01005 There is a "D" Ring clean/refurbish kit and you can use the procedures outlined in the bulletin... I beleive this should be a free procedure as it is customary that primary restraints (read: seat belts) are warranteed for life. Consult your Nissan dealer with a paper copy of the service bulletin with you and if they want to charge you, consult with the NHTSA, I don't beleive you should be charged for this service.

EDIT: Wow.. you posted that at like... the same time
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Cheesing away...

you're an idiot
Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by KsuMax
you're an idiot
Old 10-31-2005, 05:31 AM

For anyone saying seatbelts "could" save your life, you're wrong. THEY WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. My friend died while not wearing his seatbelt, while the passenger in his car, who was wearing his seat belt, walked away with a scratch on the leg. Don't be stupid, I know better because in my senior class alone, we had three deaths related to motor vehicles, and two of them were friends. One of them was a good friend.
If it's the slowly retracting belt, then fix it. Is your life worth the incovenience? Not only this, it's a way for the po to pull you over now.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 AM
SLOW

Yea I used to have that problem, now I just don't wear it.

That's the most retarded statement I've ever heard. I hope you aren't serious.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 AM

its retarded not to wear your seat belt.
back to the topic though..... clean the loop where the belt wraps around, im sure youll find some gunk under the belt on the plastic piece. ive done it a couple of times and the belt works just fine, until its gets gunked up again.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM

I really hope that kid reads my post, because those tragedies still send chills down my whole body. Going back today and reading what I wrote brought me right back. Don't be stupid and careless, life is worth more than that.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
SLOW

I've been in like 5 accidents and the only one that happened out on "twisty roads" was a deer that ran out in front of me. The rest were at intersections. I can't get over how stupid that kid's statement was.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Cheesing away...

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I've been in like 5 accidents and the only one that happened out on "twisty roads" was a deer that ran out in front of me. The rest were at intersections. I can't get over how stupid that kid's statement was.
From his posts in OT, I'm not surprised.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
For anyone saying seatbelts "could" save your life, you're wrong. THEY WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. My friend died while not wearing his seatbelt, while the passenger in his car, who was wearing his seat belt, walked away with a scratch on the leg. Don't be stupid, I know better because in my senior class alone, we had three deaths related to motor vehicles, and two of them were friends. One of them was a good friend.
If it's the slowly retracting belt, then fix it. Is your life worth the incovenience? Not only this, it's a way for the po to pull you over now.

First off wheres rochester??

And going along with your point, yes people are incredibly dumb, being in the local Fire Department, i can honestly say that noone there has pulled a seat belt off of a dead person, but we've seen way to many dead people. and just to predict what somone will say, no you cant hold your self, unless your going like 5mph, i may be slightly wrong here but i think its something like going 30mph, and getting into an accident a 150lb person weights over 700 pounds.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Maxima lover

Since everyone is giving me sh*t, I'm going to reply. I was joking about not wearing it just because it started to become slow. I also only wear in in the curves because it holds me in my seat better, I'm not concerned with an accident, I know they can happen anywhere.

They don't always save lives. I know of two people personally that flew out of the car and it saved there life. One caught on fire and was all tore up and the other was split in two and smashed up by a semi-truck. I know there are stories of it saving peoples life, but that's not always is that the case.

It should not be a law that you have to wear a seatbelt, especially officers should not have the right to stop a vehicle for only that reason. Yea, I know I know, "it's to save lives", but its more likely that cop just wants to see if he can find something else on you (ie. license suspension or drugs). I think they need to focus on more important things then traffic anyway. How about the government makes smoking cigarettes illegal? 10 times more people die in the USA of smoking then traffic fatalities (with and without seatbelts), not to mention the cost of health care going up because of it, but it all comes down to money.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:44 PM

I dont know about you guys. But i dont have a problem with my seat belt. But then again i don't really rush to leave my car. I take my time getting out and noticing if all my windows are close and what not. I do notice that it retracts slower then other cars but not slow enough to be a problem.

Putting on a seltbelt has become like a must. if in the front. i dont really see too much reason to put it on in the back.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by nosispower
Don't seatbelts have a lifetime warranty?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Chassis Freak

I'm reviving this thread to post some information that may be useful. I suspect most 4th gen owners (and probably other generations too) have a slow retracting driver's seat belt. As already mentioned, there is a lifetime warranty on the restraint system so you can go to the dealer and have them fix your slow seat belt. The first thing they will likely do is the TSB which consists of simply putting a piece of smooth tape over the shoulder loop. This helps a little, since dirt and lint can build up there, and the tape has less friction than even the clean plastic loop. But it didn't solve my problem. The next step would be to go back to the dealer and have them replace the whole assembly.

For those of you who don't like the hassle of dealing with the dealer, here is an easy do-it-yourself method I discovered.

When I had my interior stripped to foam my chassis and apply sound deadener, I noticed that an internal metal loop halfway up the B-pillar had corrosion on it. Probably caused by water and road salt making their way in there. I sanded it down with fine sandpaper to make it as smooth as possible. Now my seat belt retracts much faster and doesn't get caught in the door. You do have to remove the plastic B-pillar trim but it's not hard. If the corrosion is really bad you can start with 200 grit and work your way up to 1000 or 2000. You want it as smooth as possible to reduce friction. Here's a diagram:

Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Chassis Freak

Another option I just thought of would be to put several layers of clear packing tape or another smooth adhesive tape over the metal loop. This would eliminate future corrosion issues, although the tape might not stay in place....
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
wants an I35

subscribED!