4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

axle and stereo question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 PM

axle and stereo question?

Hey guys havent been on here for a while, military life has me busy. But anyway I noticed a while back that my axle boots have torn and grease is everywhere. Due to lack of time, I have not replaced them, and I think it has been about 2 months since I noticed it happened, and who knows how long it was before that, that they actually torn. I know that with time and lack of grease, dirt, water, etc that gets in there will ruin the bearings and it will start the "clicking" sound when you turn. Now it hasn't started that sound as of yet, but since it has been a while do you think I should replace the axles just to be on the safe side, or do you think it would be ok to do just the boots and repack the bearings with grease?
On another question, I am quite sick of my cd player skiping and since I have been on the road a lot it is time to upgrade. I am looking for a good head unit that looks somewhat stock with black interior and that is highly compatible with the BOSE stock speakers. Any suggestions are very appreciated....
Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 PM

as i just replaced my axles less than a month ago, i would say be on the safe side and replace them its not a hrd job to doyourself, and depending on the retailer not too expensive.(about 300 bucks from autozone). on the cd player side, it isn't possible to replace your facotry bose cd player without either changing all the speakers in the car or rewring the speakers, as bose component systems ahve their own amps. hope i was of some help.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 PM

sorry maxor but thats untrue about the bose.

Crutchfield sells the 2 adaptors you need to adapt any new headunit to your bose speakers and antenna. all you do is plug the bose factory plug into the adaptor and then crimp the wires coming off the adaptor to the wires coming out of your headunit plug. the antenna plug is also just a simple wire crimp and plug. Their partnumber and names are as follows:

142C4NN03 OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 94-up Nissan/Infiniti
12040NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter Diversity antenna to Motorola M & F

I myself put an aiwa cd/mp3 deck in my max. sounds awesome as bose speakers do (when the head unit works) and i even self installed my amp and infinity subs. if you need any help hit me up
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 AM

You can get cv axles online at ebay for dirt cheap as well. I got my driverside for $65 shipped, and installed it on Saturday. If you order it from ebay, make sure you email the seller and tell him the tranny/year of your car to ensure you get the correct tranny, as there were no instructions stating that you had to do that. I did it anyways to be on the safe side, and got a very quick response from the seller.
As of right now, the axle seems to be good quality, and fit well. There aren't leaks, and I haven't noted a vibration yet either.
It is a DIY job, but having someone with experience helps (I had a couple DSM guys help me out). Don't be afraid to really pull on that axle to get it out, and push it hard to get it back in. And make sure you have the correct tools (ie a 1/2 inch breaker bar and NOT a 1/2 inch drive socket -- I broke my socket wrench in no time trying to break loose that axle nut

search ebay for "maxima cv axle" and a popular seller should come up. The name is 6512cv or something like that.