4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A few questions: EGR, tranny leak, ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM

A few questions: EGR, tranny leak, ABS light

I just picked up a 95 Max this past weekend. Its 5spd, and also my first car thats stick, I also have another 95 max that is auto.
1)
I popped the hood on both of them today and noticed some differences, and was wondering if this is normal or if there are some parts missing. The EGR on my auto sits kind of above the TB and has a little bracket that mounts on the intake manifold. The 5spd max does not have the EGR system there, it has the holes for the mounting locations, but there is nothing there. Is it located somewhere else or did someone remove this stuff? Not sure if this is normal on a 5spd one or not, I dont see why the 2 would be any different.

2) There is a leak where the "mystery hose" connects to the transmission housing. Its not bad, but enough to notice that there is a leak. Will this cause any problems? and would this be gear oil or clutch fluid leaking from that area?

3) finally, the ABS light is on, all the time...would this just be a fuse blown or should I check further into there being sensors or something not working.

Thanks for anyone who can help me with this stuff. I appreciate it.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01 PM

i was getting a EGR code and i looked in my chiltons manuel for my 95 auto. the egr valve is a disk type thing if im correct and it was actually kinda down in the engine bay to the right of the intake manifold, around the area of the throttle body but deeper. i cant remember too well.
also, on the top of my intake manifold i have two holes with threads as if there is supposed to be something there also, if we're talking about the same thing.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Do I get a tax break?

The area on top of the intake manifold is for the purge valve. The EGR system (valve and BPT valve) are located directly below the throttle body - lower into the engine bay.

Note: If I remember correctly, the 95's did have simpler emissions control systems - so that is why the top of the intake manifold looks like it is missing a few things.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
The area on top of the intake manifold is for the purge valve. The EGR system (valve and BPT valve) are located directly below the throttle body - lower into the engine bay.

Note: If I remember correctly, the 95's did have simpler emissions control systems - so that is why the top of the intake manifold looks like it is missing a few things.
But I have two 95's, and they each have different emissions. The 5spd either is missing the EGR or its removed. It doesnt look removed either, because there arent any harnesses laying round or anything. I'll take a pic and show you what I mean. Unless it could be differences within 95 even? The stick one was made in 6/94 and the auto was 1/95...thats my only guess aside from the trannies being different.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:48 PM

OK I took some pics to clarify what I'm talking about, I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if the manual some how has less emissions stuff, or if its been removed.

1995 MANUAL:

1995 AUTO:

See the difference? Right below the TB cables there is some emissions equip on the auto, and on the manual there are just the holes in the IM for it, but nothing is there.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 PM

how important is the EGR?
my chiltons manual said it should move when you rev in neutral between 2k and 4k rpm and if you dont see movement it went into other diagnosis options but i sure as hell didnt see any part that could move.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by venompwr2
OK I took some pics to clarify what I'm talking about, I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if the manual some how has less emissions stuff, or if its been removed.
Hmm.. it looks like your early 95 doesn't have the purge control valve... thats part of the EVAP emissions system. It looks like a build date issue. I would doubt that it has been removed. The later build is probably on its way to being OBD-II compliant and looks exactly like my 96.

PS: that black valve that looks like a hat right behind the TB cables is what a lot of org'ers found broken by the strut bar - since there isn't a lot of clearance depending on what brand FSTB you buy.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM

It strikes me that you need the EGR valve to be functioning or you will fail the NOx component of any emissions test you are required to take.

I have a 95SE, 5-speed, August 94 build date and my EGR valve is located in front and below the throttle body. However, mine is a Canadian model and I don't know what differences there might have been - I have LSD for starters.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM

Hmm.. it looks like your early 95 doesn't have the purge control valve... thats part of the EVAP emissions system. It looks like a build date issue. I would doubt that it has been removed. The later build is probably on its way to being OBD-II compliant and looks exactly like my 96.

PS: that black valve that looks like a hat right behind the TB cables is what a lot of org'ers found broken by the strut bar - since there isn't a lot of clearance depending on what brand FSTB you buy.

Its a Matrix strut bar, i got it at streetbeatcustoms.com if I remember correctly, its been about 3 years since I bought it. ~$40
Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 PM

But thanks for that! I am not so concerned with that now. However, I still would like to know about the leak. I'd like to do a bunch of maintenance checks on the "new" car, plugs, change all the fluids, clean the TB, new tires, brakes, etc. Should I change the gear oil too? I dont want to add any kind of transmission leak fix to it if it isnt going to help. I'll try to put up some pics tomorrow of the leak, if more has dripped out.