4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 12:16 PM

alright, i just bought my dad's 95 SE off of him because i want a reliable, fast car for basically everyday use... because of my intent on driving a lot, i do not want to upgrade to anything too exotic, just better than stock. Now, the brakes need replacing, 153,000 miles and seems that one or more rotors are warped. since they need complete replacement, i am asking for any suggestions that wont break the bank, but will still perform better than stock, not that i have ANYTHING to complain about, i love the car. exhaust will be the next upgrade, but again, nothing too radical will be done to this one, in 2 years i will buy a new max when i grad college and get a REAL job.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Check the 'sticky' 4th Gen Brake parts post above...

Basically just get good pads...
Old 06-01-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
Check the 'sticky' 4th Gen Brake parts post above...

Basically just get good pads...
so replace rotors with stock, and then go with what pads exactly?? im not looking for anything race quality that needs to get hot to really work, something for rain and snow too thanks
Old 06-01-2001, 01:20 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by JeepRage

so replace rotors with stock, and then go with what pads exactly?? im not looking for anything race quality that needs to get hot to really work, something for rain and snow too thanks
The part numbers in the 4th gen brake part numbers sticky post have OEM replacement parts, which are as good (actually better) than OEM stuff, ESPECIALLY the pads.

Minimum dusting: Axxis Metalmaster Pads
Dusting but max performance: Porterfield R4S's

The sticky will yield the info you're looking for. I avoided putting overtly "racing" oriented stuff in their to calm fears about that. Most parts mentioned are simple, good replacement parts.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:33 PM

Hey Bill or Daniel

Since I need new back rotors and brakes i was thinking of getting Brembo or Stillen cross/slot rotors(not the big ones). My 2 questions are:

1. What brakes would you recommend to slap on with these? (least noise and dust)

2. When it comes time to replace brakes, do I have to get the cross/slot rotors cut?
I always cut the rotors on the stock ones.

Thanx

GREG
Old 06-01-2001, 02:52 PM

hmmm..is it me...or does it seem like everytime i post on or start a thread, i don't get any attention. I mean...so what i don't have the money yet for "real mods".
Old 06-01-2001, 03:07 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Hey Bill or Daniel

Originally posted by shadygrey
Since I need new back rotors and brakes i was thinking of getting Brembo or Stillen cross/slot rotors(not the big ones). My 2 questions are:

1. What brakes would you recommend to slap on with these? (least noise and dust)

2. When it comes time to replace brakes, do I have to get the cross/slot rotors cut?
I always cut the rotors on the stock ones.

Thanx

GREG

For least dust, order Axxis Metalmasters for the back brakes from www.eatricezone.com . The part numbers are in the sticky post on brakes.

As for rotors, I would go with the blank Brembo rotors mentioned in my sticky as well......

Cross-drilled rotors cannot be re-surfaced. Slotted rotors can, but I don't have faith in them from my personal experiences (also related in that sticky post).....

Please read the sticky post thoroughly and we'll answer any other questions that it doesn't answer.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by shadygrey
hmmm..is it me...or does it seem like everytime i post on or start a thread, i don't get any attention. I mean...so what i don't have the money yet for "real mods".
Jesus, man...it really does.