4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thoes w/ UDP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:00 AM

Thoes w/ UDP

Ok, I've read the sticky on the unothodox UDP and I was wondering a few things for thoes who run them. I also hear about pretty decent gains, mostly from the weight reduction and high tolorences they are contructed with.
1. Are you N/A or are you boosted?
2. in your opinion is it worth it?
3. noticable gains?
4. what other mods do you have?

Thanks for any feedback on this, and if I missed something similar to what I'm asking in the stickies, I appolgize.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:07 AM
MaximaDriver

one think!!!
dont buy that cheap sh.t from ebay. it was making missfire on my engine
Old 11-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I scam therefore I am

naplesmaxima aka Tommyali the scammer!'s Avatar

udp isnt worth the money and time
Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Groundz
Ok, I've read the sticky on the unothodox UDP and I was wondering a few things for thoes who run them. I also hear about pretty decent gains, mostly from the weight reduction and high tolorences they are contructed with.
1. Are you N/A or are you boosted?
2. in your opinion is it worth it?
3. noticable gains?
4. what other mods do you have?

Thanks for any feedback on this, and if I missed something similar to what I'm asking in the stickies, I appolgize.
I don't have one personally in my car but that's because i know better. But i know at least 3 maxes with it so i can still answer these questions...

1. They're n/a
2. No...unless you want bling bling
3. No
4. They have n/a bolt-ons...intake,y-pipe, etc.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:16 AM
UCF Lexus

1) I am NA
2) If you're all about performance mods...yes its worth it
3) Noticeable on a dyno chart......not from your foot or neck snapping back
4) Bolt ons

Dont listen to these *****......it's a good mod, kinda pricey...but IMO worth it. For every pound you take OFF the stock weight of the crank...you can gain about 2hp per pound. The stock pulley weighs close to 7 or 8 pounds....and the UDP weighs about 2½.

Combine that lightweight UDP with a lightweight flywheel......(kinda like I have...) and you'll have a total of ~13lbs off the crank. It revs a LOT faster and it will give gains...but its not like spraying or anything.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 AM
I scam therefore I am

where are the dyno charts?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by naplesmaxima
if you donate & search you will find anything
Old 11-05-2005, 11:13 AM
MaximaDriver

i want to see them too
Old 11-05-2005, 11:24 AM

i haven't dynoed, but i think an UDP helps the engine rev quicker. this should be more noticeable if you're 5speed.

i have the unorthodox UDP and i like it.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM

when i had my maxima it made response a lot better especially when it had all the breathing mods like ypipe, intake and exhaust. you won't feel the power, but you'll notice gains on your timeslip. i've seen gains up to a tenth. i would notice times would be consistently low 14.1-14.3 when i'd usually see 14.2-14.45 otherwise. get this mod last.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 PM
icedoutmax22

i have the udp and deff notice the car revs quicker.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 PM

time? it doesnt take long at all to install. and i have hand tools, took me 30 min.

1. i am N/A
2. Yes, i want to be an all n/a max, any little help is good.
3. revs quicker, but i havent taken it to the dyno yet.
4. y pipe, high flow cat, injen intake, ts ecu(no rev extension), borla muffler.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by risingmist
time? it doesnt take long at all to install. and i have hand tools, took me 30 min.

1. i am N/A
2. Yes, i want to be an all n/a max, any little help is good.
3. revs quicker, but i havent taken it to the dyno yet.
4. y pipe, high flow cat, injen intake, ts ecu(no rev extension), borla muffler.
Does the car feel responsive, to the point where you can sort of notice it?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Made in Taiwan

got mine from a group deal for 70 bucks with motorstorm. they pretty much copied the unorthodox's udp. so if you want to get them, might as well go with motorstorm for a huge deduction in price. got mine for 70 bucks. for that price, it's definitely worth the money.

after the install, i definitely feel the rev to climb up with ease. also, trap speed at the track is picked up by 2-3 mph's. but my lauches are bad, and clutch slips. so couldn't get improvements on qm times.

i got it installed for real cheap <30 bucks. so for the whole price, feel, and gain; i think it's a worthwhile mod. of course, there are going to be people saying the opposite, but i'm a guy who does every little mod to integrate a net power gain, so it's just part of the big picture...worth it: considering the amount of money i paid for my other mods.

also the underdriving electrical problems aren't issues with my car. i ran 1800 watt amp, 1 farad capacitor, and a solobaric L7 without a flicker in the headlights. so it's no biggie...

good luck.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Does the car feel responsive, to the point where you can sort of notice it?
yes, it felt very responsive.

i bought 2 udp's, one for my 5 speed, and one for my bro's auto, same year maximas.

on my 5 speed, the rev is felt much better than it did on the auto, but my brother claimed to see the ease of the rev on his auto. the pick up on the rpm range is very ideal for his taste. so...'sort of notice'=yes...

for a 5 speed, the response is very nice. the throttle awaits your foot...
Old 11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Originally Posted by cyu1
got mine from a group deal for 70 bucks with motorstorm. they pretty much copied the unorthodox's udp. so if you want to get them, might as well go with motorstorm for a huge deduction in price. got mine for 70 bucks. for that price, it's definitely worth the money.

after the install, i definitely feel the rev to climb up with ease. also, trap speed at the track is picked up by 2-3 mph's. but my lauches are bad, and clutch slips. so couldn't get improvements on qm times.

i got it installed for real cheap <30 bucks. so for the whole price, feel, and gain; i think it's a worthwhile mod. of course, there are going to be people saying the opposite, but i'm a guy who does every little mod to integrate a net power gain, so it's just part of the big picture...worth it: considering the amount of money i paid for my other mods.

also the underdriving electrical problems aren't issues with my car. i ran 1800 watt amp, 1 farad capacitor, and a solobaric L7 without a flicker in the headlights. so it's no biggie...

good luck.
Is the motostorm still going on? Can we still get it for $70
Old 11-05-2005, 02:11 PM
The original VQ...

I have a motostorm

love it , good mod for less than 100$ (70 for pulley and about 25~ for belts)

prolly didnt give me much power, but the tires seem to break loose more in first gear, and i can feel more pull above the 5k range
( cause i remeber my rpms would creep after 5k but now they seem to go faster)

its worth it if you put it on yourself, cause it would prolly cost about 100$ to put it on which would suck.

First buy exhaust and the other basics, then add the pulley as alittle something extra.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:01 PM

so the UDP gives gains..you just dont feel them.
so the pulley keeps accessories from slowing down the engine?
would this be something you'd consider taking off if you just wanted your car to be stock? like...is there any reason to ever switch back to stock after you upgrade this part?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Boosted Panda

And Im assuming your speaking from hearsay?

If your looking to gain all you can from you car its worth it.
Its one of those mods that go hand in hand with others for a final effecting gain.
If you were to hold the UDP, and the stock pulley in each hand you would immedialty know that its benificial. The weight savings alone is a gain.
With the UDP, and my lightened flywheel, my car revs much quicker.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:25 PM

wouldnt there be a difference in opinions due to there being underdrive pulleys and lightwieght pulleys? wouldnt there be more varibles, which is casueing all these differant assumptions on whether it does anything or not.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
wouldnt there be a difference in opinions due to there being underdrive pulleys and lightwieght pulleys? wouldnt there be more varibles, which is casueing all these differant assumptions on whether it does anything or not.

Even a lightweight stock size pulley would give you gains. Whether you feel them or not is up in the air.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 PM

I don't understand where you guys are getting this stuff from. Underdrive pulley's don't add HP and they don't reduce times. To everyone that said they saw their 1/4 mile times drop, i'm willing to bet better conditions and a better 60' time are responsible.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by nismology
I don't understand where you guys are getting this stuff from. Underdrive pulley's don't add HP and they don't reduce times. To everyone that said they saw their 1/4 mile times drop, i'm willing to bet better conditions and a better 60' time are responsible.

You are correct, they DO NOT ADD horse power, they free up horse power.
Horse power that is lost from the crank spinning the heavier pulley is freed up with the lighter one.
The released horsepower gained from the lighter pulley could yeild better track times.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:21 PM

Adds, frees up, whatever. My point is this...practical gains > actual gains. Even if it frees up 3-5 horses (which i seriously doubt), no care. Because 1. That won't really show up at the track 2. It's within the realm of run-to-run dyno variance.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Boosted Panda

Adds, frees up, whatever. My point is this...practical gains > actual gains. Even if it frees up 3-5 horses (which i seriously doubt), no care. Because 1. That won't really show up at the track 2. It's within the realm of run-to-run dyno variance.

Dyno variances will effect any mod.
Like you said, the conditons will effect it.
Even if the dyno is indoors, weather controled there will still be variances, (ie, how long the car was run before the dyno.)
A dyno is used as a tunning device, and a gauge of power.
I have myself have dynoed my car on many occaisons, on different days and same mods on the same dyno and have had different numbers.

Even if it frees up 3-5 horses (which i seriously doubt), no care.

The ones trying to gain the most n.a. horse power do.
They have gone done to gutting the complete interior for just those reasons.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
The ones trying to gain the most n.a. horse power do.
They have gone done to gutting the complete interior for just those reasons.
I don't care how many mods a car has. If one n/a maxima is faster than another, it won't be cause of the UDP, period.

And just for everyone's info, being able to rev quicker in neutral does not even come close to necessarily meaning the same will be true once the transmission is in gear.

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
If your looking to gain all you can from you car its worth it.
Its one of those mods that go hand in hand with others for a final effecting gain.
I'm sorry but that statement is ricer math at it's best. NmexMAX, where you at??
Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 PM

That guy DaveH, i believe said that he his times were worst with the udp, and he posted his timeslips with it, and without it

another guy on the org claimed, he nearly damaged his motor and it caused an oil leak, so he changed it back to stock and he was good

i know i dont have one, but i usually do alot of reading on something before i buy it, and if sacrificing my motor for 70 dollars is an option forget about it. if the 2lbs made a difference, why didnt nissan made it lighter in the first place?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM

ok is this mod a yes or no? do you need a new belt with the UDP? Im seriosly considering it and need to know if I should or not
Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 PM

this is one of those mods where ur better off finding things out for urself! half will say it works, half will say it doesn't, just as this thread has shown. and who knows, maybe it does do something to some and doesnt to others, i dont know. i havent installed mine yet so i really dont have an opinion yet, thats y im going to put it on soon. its only 70 bucks, if u dont like how it goes, just take it bak off and sell it for someone else to experiment. not sure with all, but with the motostorm u do need different sized belts.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:04 PM
PM me for LCA's!

Is this mod a yes or no? Well it's one of the best values dollar vs HP. I'd give motostorm a call and order one. Their everyday price is $109. Keep in mind you will need new belts, which will run you about $25-30 and a new crank shaft oil seal, which is less than $8 at most dealers (and should be in stock).

So grand total, $147--maybe some shipping in there.

If you don't have any mods, you might want to consider the basics, like a Y-pipe first.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:07 PM

interesting I guess Ill try it...
Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM

ok is this mod a yes or no? do you need a new belt with the UDP? Im seriosly considering it and need to know if I should or not
Sure it's a mod. Then again the Jet chip is a mod too...
Old 11-05-2005, 11:29 PM

how about.. not take the risk and find out mod

just use the money for something else in the mean time
Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Sure it's a mod. Then again the Jet chip is a mod too...
opps sorry its late, I meant is this a good mod for its money, lets just say I want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible while staying n/a. I would like to see somewhat better response, therefore can the UDP be a solution in making that small difference?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:37 PM

opps sorry its late, I meant is this a good mod for its money, lets just say I want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible while staying n/a. I would like to see somewhat better response, therefore can the UDP be a solution in making that small difference?
Any perceived difference by someone is the placebo effect. The only good thing i see about this mod is extending the life of your alternator if you visit the redline regularly. Saying the UDP makes your car faster is like saying using NGK coppers instead of platinums will make your car faster.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:48 AM

I don't think half of the people would be making up that a pulley is giving them gains. Maybe if it was just one or two people, they might say it for bragging rights. The entire world can deny that it gives no gains, but my a$$ dyno says it does.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:57 AM

Ignorance is bliss i suppose. People really WANT TO believe it makes their car faster to justify the purchase. Like i said, if it doesn't show up at the dyno or track, it's not there.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:27 AM

he does have a point. ive never seen the companies that sell it show a dynod of a udp before

whatever, if you want it to say you have all the bolt ons, the go ahead.. have fun on the install too
Old 11-06-2005, 08:56 AM
UCF Lexus

Ignorance is bliss i suppose. People really WANT TO believe it makes their car faster to justify the purchase. Like i said, if it doesn't show up at the dyno or track, it's not there.

Dude I have dyno charts......before and after - so get your wanabe lecturing outa here. And no, Im not posting them.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I scam therefore I am

alright all **** aside i personaly dont care what an udp does for anyones car i have a question

whats the major difference from an unorthodox udp and a cheap 60 dollar ebay one?

they appear to be the same shape size and weight.

a friend of mine put an ebay udp on his car and it did nothing

but then again people say the unorthodox one really does something good for you

Quick Reply: Thoes w/ UDP