4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

60k service

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 08:46 AM

60k is about to come by on my '95 gle. So far no problems. What things do u recommend I get done. I figure spark plugs and fuel filter. What else?

ALso what spark plugs come standard with my car and also what plugs do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Monil
60k is about to come by on my '95 gle. So far no problems. What things do u recommend I get done. I figure spark plugs and fuel filter. What else?

ALso what spark plugs come standard with my car and also what plugs do you recommend?

Thanks!
There is some disagreement about what you should do at 60K.
I prefer to do exactly what the book calls for.
That is
- engine oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- coolant
- spark plugs

Other owners like to add services which Nissan does not require at 60K,
such as replacing
- fuel filter
- transmission fluid
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve
- accessory drive belts
- brake fluid
- clutch fluid

Have a look at http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/60k_service.html

Spark plugs: NGK PFR5G-11
Old 06-02-2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
There is some disagreement about what you should do at 60K.
I prefer to do exactly what the book calls for.
That is
- engine oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- coolant
- spark plugs

Other owners like to add services which Nissan does not require at 60K,
such as replacing
- fuel filter
- transmission fluid
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve
- accessory drive belts
- brake fluid
- clutch fluid

Have a look at http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/60k_service.html

Spark plugs: NGK PFR5G-11
This is very helpful info. Thanks Daniel.
I'm approaching 60K after two oil changes aprox
Old 06-02-2001, 09:21 PM

30k service

Daniel, what do you recommend for 30k service? Thank you.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:59 AM

Re: 30k service

Originally posted by demian
Daniel, what do you recommend for 30k service? Thank you.
I'll go by the book. At 30K you should replace the engine oil, oil filter, and air cleaner filter.

If you have been towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough/muddy roads, then you should replace the transmission fluid (automatic or 5-speed).
Old 06-04-2001, 01:25 AM

Re: Re: 30k service

I'll go by the book. At 30K you should replace the engine oil, oil filter, and air cleaner filter.

If you have been towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough/muddy roads, then you should replace the transmission fluid (automatic or 5-speed).
So I guess its not necessary to change fuel filter, spark plugs, or coolant? Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks, Daniel, I am also coming up on this service.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:58 AM

I changed the fuel filter at 60k, and was surprised at just how clogged it was. It was hard to blow through... which would make life a little tougher on the fuel pump. I highly recommend changing it -at least- every 60k.

I also went ahead and changed the tranny fluid and filter because it was no longer that new bright pink color. If your fluid is getting darker, do the car a favor and change it. Some auto manufacturers suggest changing it every 24k. The harder you drive, the more often it needs changed. I'm going to start changing whatever fluid will come out of the tranny through the drain plug at each engine oil change. This should keep it fairly fresh. Filter changes can be a bit more spread out.

Brake fluid absorbs water. This water can rust out the caliper bores and cause leaks. Flushing the brake fluid every few years can help avoid problems... and only costs the $5 or so it takes to purchase a quart or so of fluid.

Belts need to be inspected periodically. As soon as a belt starts to show cracks, it needs to be replaced. Hoses wear out from the inside out, so you're taking your chances. I like to replace them every four years or so.

Plugs will last a lot longer with highway driving than city. Recommended replacement with the factory platinums is 60k. Those plugs should easily last that long. I inspected mine at 60k and put them right back in. They were fine. I'll probably replace them around 70k out of guilt.

Doing extra maintenance cannot hurt anything. NOT doing enough maintenance will cause problems down the road. The harder you drive the car, the more often maintenance needs to be done.

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2001, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by n2oMike
I changed the fuel filter at 60k, and was surprised at just how clogged it was. It was hard to blow through... which would make life a little tougher on the fuel pump. ...
The "blow through" test is not significant. How hard can you blow? The best I can do is 3 psi. Normal fuel rail pressure varies between 34 psi and 43 psi. Remember that the fuel pump is always working against at least 34 psi, even with a brand new filter.

... I also went ahead and changed the tranny fluid and filter ...
The 4Gen Maxima automatic transmission does not have a filter. It has a screen which never needs changing. I bet you never replaced the engine oil pump pickup screen. There's no need to do that. Similarly, there is no need to replace the transmission oil pump pickup screen.

... Plugs will last a lot longer with highway driving than city. ...
I've never heard this before. Can you substantiate it? Please point to any repair manual, textbook, magazine article, or Web site which makes this assertion and explains it. I'm always interested in learning more.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:08 PM

Do I need to do anything more for the 120k mile service, or is it the same as the 60k mile service? My cousin, who is a mechanic will be helping me with this so all I need to do is buy parts and a 6-pack. I just had my oil changed so I will be doing everything but that. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Do I need to do anything more for the 120k mile service, or is it the same as the 60k mile service? My cousin, who is a mechanic will be helping me with this so all I need to do is buy parts and a 6-pack. I just had my oil changed so I will be doing everything but that. Thanks in advance.
At this point you should repeat the 60K service procedure, and consider the following as additional items.
- replace accessory drive belts
- replace transmission fluid
- replace brake and clutch fluid
- replace fuel filter
Old 06-05-2001, 03:24 PM

The "blow through" test is not significant. How hard can you blow? The best I can do is 3 psi. Normal fuel rail pressure varies between 34 psi and 43 psi. Remember that the fuel pump is always working against at least 34 psi, even with a brand new filter.

The 4Gen Maxima automatic transmission does not have a filter. It has a screen which never needs changing. I bet you never replaced the engine oil pump pickup screen. There's no need to do that. Similarly, there is no need to replace the transmission oil pump pickup screen.

I've never heard this before. Can you substantiate it? Please point to any repair manual, textbook, magazine article, or Web site which makes this assertion and explains it. I'm always interested in learning more.
(Fuel Filter)
For the $12 and half hour it cost to replace the filter, it made me feel better. I was surprised at the restriction it had after only 60k.

(Trans Filter/screen)
I'm not trying to step on your toes. Many on here, including myself really appreciate your contributions to this list. I'm sure you are valued as much or more than any other member.
Yes, the filter is a very fine screen. I've got a re-usable micro screen type oil filter on the mustang. It picks up small bits of stuff. It's a good tool for inspection. I also like to clean the crud off the magnets in the pan. The price of the filter/gasket kit was about the same as the gasket by itself. I splurged. Yes, I could have just bolted the original filter back in place. It was not obstructed at all.

(Spark Plugs)
Thinking in terms of hours of use... It takes many more hours of city stop and go driving to rack up 60k than overdrive highway use. Driving in lower gears (city) also makes the engine turn a lot more revolutions per mile.

My car isn't abused, but doesn't really get "babied" either, so I like to do a little extra maintainence. It might cost a tad extra time and money... just call me paranoid.

Dan, you are da' man with the Maximas. No offense... not trying to butt heads or anything. Just my $0.02

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2001, 04:23 PM

Win-win-win!

Originally posted by n2oMike
... I'm not trying to step on your toes. Many on here, including myself really appreciate your contributions to this list. ...
That's a nice compliment. Thank you. Please do not think that expressing a different view is picking a fight. I certainly don't think that. Where I hold an opinion which differs from yours I always try to explain my reasons, and you do the same. That's what distinguishes polite discourse from a shouting match.

We all trade ideas and techniques. We may discuss favorite ways to tackle a job. One example: some of us like to raise the car for an oil change, and others are comfortable doing it with the vehicle on the ground. Sharing ideas is good for all of us. Win-win-win!
Old 06-05-2001, 04:46 PM

Plugs

I installed the Bosch Platnium (not +4's) set of plugs in my car about 10k ago and my car is now starting to hesitate. Where can I get the NGK PFR5G-11 the absolute cheapest. Someone said $50 delivered? Anyone?

How about using non nissan fuel filters? I did that too...does it matter?

SHUMAX
Old 06-13-2001, 12:40 PM

courtesynissan.com has the plugs for around 50 bills
Old 06-13-2001, 12:59 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Black98Max
courtesynissan.com has the plugs for around 50 bills
You can now use the "sticky" post to find out where to get the NGK plugs for the best price.......also the "sticky" post in the General Discussion tells you where to get parts from Nissan....