8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Rear Bumper Diffuser Falling Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Rear Bumper Diffuser Falling Off

My dealer installed rear bumper diffuser is starting to separate from the bumper. I took in this morning and he is afraid to remove and reinstall this one, so he ordered a new one. He said it should be in on Monday. So, if you have a choice, get a factory installed one.

I don't like this dealer's shop anyway. I've had several problems and misdiagnoses from them. If I have anything complicated, I drive 50 miles to my previous Nissan dealer which is the best service shop I've ever been to. I like the sales staff at my local dealer better, so that is where I bought the car and got the deal for them to install my additional accessories for free. Grrrr.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

How does that even happen?! That's ridiculous. Those can be self-installed, so a dealer should definitely be able to get that right. Ugh.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 AM

I can't figure out what I'm looking at. Can you get another picture zoomed out a little to get a better perspective of what is going on
Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I can't figure out what I'm looking at. Can you get another picture zoomed out a little to get a better perspective of what is going on

This is from the top, shooting down. The top of the picture is the bumper above the diffuser and what you see is reflection of the ground. Under that is the gap opening up between the diffuser and the bumper. You can see the adhesive stretching at the ends of the gap.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
This is from the top, shooting down. The top of the picture is the bumper above the diffuser and what you see is reflection of the ground. Under that is the gap opening up between the diffuser and the bumper. You can see the adhesive stretching at the ends of the gap.
Your bumper is so reflective, it's creating one heck of an optical illusion. It looks like a piece of chrome sitting on the grass.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
Your bumper is so reflective, it's creating one heck of an optical illusion. It looks like a piece of chrome sitting on the grass.
Sure does...lol!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM

One such incident might be attributable to incorrect installation. But if we begin to see this with several posters, then Nissan has a problem. So far my diffuser has held on tight, but I will be keeping an eye on it. I have had lots of compliments on my black diffuser.

One reason I searched far and wide for a Brilliant Silver 2016 was because I felt the black diffuser looked better against the silver than with other colors. My dealership said I was the first person to have them install a diffuser. Several of the staff at my dealer commented that all 8th gens should come with a diffuser. I didn't disagree, but feel this is a decision best left to the buyer.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
One such incident might be attributable to incorrect installation. But if we begin to see this with several posters, then Nissan has a problem. So far my diffuser has held on tight, but I will be keeping an eye on it. I have had lots of compliments on my black diffuser.

One reason I searched far and wide for a Brilliant Silver 2016 was because I felt the black diffuser looked better against the silver than with other colors. My dealership said I was the first person to have them install a diffuser. Several of the staff at my dealer commented that all 8th gens should come with a diffuser. I didn't disagree, but feel this is a decision best left to the buyer.
Did you already get your Maxima? Thought you were waiting til after the move,lol
Old 09-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Well, I they installed the second diffuser this morning. He said they are just learning how to do it. They've only done two, and both were/are on my car!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Well, I they installed the second diffuser this morning. He said they are just learning how to do it. They've only done two, and both were/are on my car!

Nothing like being the guinea pig. It makes you feel very secure about the whole deal, I'm sure.

Frustrating!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
Did you already get your Maxima? Thought you were waiting til after the move,lol
Since the move is going to take between two and three months, I couldn't wait to order the Maxima. We are replacing carpets with 'vinyl wood' planks, replacing several windows, reworking the lighting, relocating the downspouts, making the plumbing perfect, redoing the security system, setting up our library, etc, etc, and trying to maintain our current home and prep it for sale. We also have tons of stuff we are trying to trim down so our new residence will not seem so crowded. Not counting the double garage and workshop, our new residence has 3200 square feet, so we should be able to fit most things in.

I had been making offers on Maximas all along, and my fifth offer was accepted. The math got quite complicated, what with disagreements on the value of my trade-in, having accessories ordered and installed, etc. But I have my silver Platinum with black diffuser, etc. If I ever get the wheelwell molding, tiny obscure mudflaps, rain guards, etc, installed, I might take a photo and post it.

Edit - The Maxima I bought had to be moved in from another dealer several counties away. I had been checking the inventories of the nearest 23 Nissan dealers, and spotted it the day it arrived at that dealer's lot. It was assembled on August 20. It only had 4 miles on the odo before they had to drive it to the dealership in Newnan GA, where I bought it.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-21-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 PM

My dealer said my Maxima was the first on which they had installed the diffuser. I am keeping an eye on it. I had a freeway road trip Saturday, around 130 miles, and the diffuser still seems secure. The car computer said I got 32.9 MPG on that trip, but I only believe what I measure by dividing the miles travelled by the gallons I put in the tank.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 PM

I have the diffuser in the box yet. Just waiting for anyone who has already installed this themselves. I do believe I'm gonna add more of the double sided tape to fortify what is already there. I have a set of instructions which seem pretty straight forward.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM

I installed mine myself took an hour. the trick is it needs to be really clean...I wiped it down with isopropal 90% alc. taped on the templet drilled the holes installed the clips had a helper and stuck it on. I just looked again its on rock solid you would need a crowbar to remove it. the tape dosent stick to wax so make sure its clean and you should be fine. i wouldnt add any more tape what they have on it is plenty.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wyobbagy
I installed mine myself took an hour. the trick is it needs to be really clean...I wiped it down with isopropal 90% alc. taped on the templet drilled the holes installed the clips had a helper and stuck it on. I just looked again its on rock solid you would need a crowbar to remove it. the tape dosent stick to wax so make sure its clean and you should be fine. i wouldnt add any more tape what they have on it is plenty.

Thanks for the great advice! Did you pull off the tape covering as you stuck it on or did you create a tape pull leader from part of the tape covering?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 PM

I pulled off all the tape....went in from center tacked it very light pressure. lined up left touched it then went right to make sure the bolt holes lined up started the 8 screws and with 4 hands firmly pushed it onto to bumper tightened the screws and your done